McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 2017 570S yesterday for $120K. Paid $205K in 2017. What a drop in value. Mostly due to McLaren flooding the market with 570S and lot's of new models. It was about to reach the end of the warranty. $4K for one year extended, not including the battery for $2,500 plus labor. They must be kidding, but they are not. My brother who is a Porsche fan once told me, "never buy new, they rip you off". He was right. In hindsight, I should have leased the car. Low mileage.

Several big problems with these cars and some smaller ones. Start with small. Seat controls are where you can't see it in the middle of the car. Radio reception is terrible. Bigger items are: 1. The gawker factor which I totally underestimated is incredible (not McLaren's fault). Every where I went, people lining up to take pictures, on the highway taking videos, people following me into parking lots. 2. You have to know where you are driving. Every speed bump, pothole, roads under construction. 3. Its impractical. Can't go on a weekend trip unless you don't need any luggage. 4. As a mechanic, I'm disappointed. You can barely look at the engine, let alone do any work on the car. I had an NSX for 12 years, had the service manual and could do anything and everything. PS; My NSX handled better at high speed.

The car was beautiful and speed was breathtaking, but I wouldn't buy another one. Just ordered a 911-4S which I can dive all year round and even take it through the car wash. First FREE maintenance is at 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The best thing about living in the modern world is having so many options. There is a perfect car out there for everyone and ever need. I hope the Porsche is more in alignment with your needs. Porsche makes an excellent car.

I personally felt the opposite. I had a 911 Turbo, stage 2 tune.. the car ripped but it was a bit boring. It did everything well but didn't set my heart on fire like the Mclaren.

Regarding the complaints with the Mclaren... The seat adjustments are placed in a weird spot BUT... once you set them you should be good to go. Use the comfort entry and your all set. Radio reception is poor... maybe, I typically stream to bluetooth so I haven't noticed. Engine visibility is poor.... I agree 100%. I wish you could see the motor. I had an R8 V10 for years and I loved seeing the motor in the back. The Porsche is even worse if you want to see the motor. you get a couple of ugly fans and that is about it.

Maybe check out the new Mclaren GT on a lease. That would be a softer ride, a little more subtle in a mono color and if you lease it you know your experience cost from day 1.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I promised myself that I wouldn't engage in these "sucker" type postings...

O.P. (like many people it seems on car forums) are directly or indirectly involved in the car business... (the general buyer/owner/enthusiast is under represented on car forums and mainly observes silently. What are we going to learn from car forums anyways that our sales guy/tech/other enthusiast won't inform us about anyways).

He's a mechanic; buys a car, hardly puts on any miles, wants to self tech/perform maintenance/ perhaps offer services to other Mac owners, that probably doesn't happen for him, sells during covid times without buying another car, says he should buy used but orders a brand new car in a marque that he probably provides services for.

Just another one of those sucker postings where a person is practicing his lines to figure out what works, doesn't work in answering questions in real life of what to tell a who person buys a car half price then what he just had.

If he had traded in to another Mac and leased the new one then his payment would have probably been the same...

Personal friend of mine leased a 570s for three years (drives it 24K miles), when it came time to turn it in, he had the trade in incentive for Mac and discounted 600 LT spider (about $70K difference between his 570 and 600 LT spider MSRP) and his payment was $100 higher per month. He's not crying but rather smiling and smiling a lot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is a big hit but to be honest if you are paying $200k+ for a car pretty much every brand is going to experience big drops in terms of actual $$. Just look at a 3 year old Bentley Continental - horrible. The only exception I can think of is mid engined V8 F Cars although I am not sure that’s the case for even them these days.

If you had 3 years of enjoyment, experiences, memories with the car it’s not a terrible price to pay.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I promised myself that I wouldn't engage in these "sucker" type postings...

O.P. (like many people it seems on car forums) are directly or indirectly involved in the car business... (the general buyer/owner/enthusiast is under represented on car forums and mainly observes silently. What are we going to learn from car forums anyways that our sales guy/tech/other enthusiast won't inform us about anyways).

He's a mechanic; buys a car, hardly puts on any miles, wants to self tech/perform maintenance/ perhaps offer services to other Mac owners, that probably doesn't happen for him, sells during covid times without buying another car, says he should buy used but orders a brand new car in a marque that he probably provides services for.

Just another one of those sucker postings where a person is practicing his lines to figure out what works, doesn't work in answering questions in real life of what to tell a who person buys a car half price then what he just had.

If he had traded in to another Mac and leased the new one then his payment would have probably been the same...

Personal friend of mine leased a 570s for three years (drives it 24K miles), when it came time to turn it in, he had the trade in incentive for Mac and discounted 600 LT spider (about $70K difference between his 570 and 600 LT spider MSRP) and his payment was $100 higher per month. He's not crying but rather smiling and smiling a lot.
Fucking spot on

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most of what he writes should not be a surprise and I don't really find most of it to be an issue. I do agree that the warranty/service costs are a bit much.

As far as resale value, we know that's been an issue for McLaren, but right now everything has taken a hit. In 2009, when the same thing happened, I took advantage of it. This time my car purchase timing isn't as good. I didn't plan on selling my 570 this year and now I definitely wouldn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Of course It was a bad car for you, now that you just sold it. The better car is the one that you want to buy, until the time comes that you wanna sell it...then rinse and repeat.

You know in your heart that it was a good car.
“The car was beautiful and speed was breathtaking”

No regrets? GL with your next toy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Name me a new car that doesn’t drop 40% in three years. Most do but you just started with a higher price point. i Just bought a new X5 M50i for 100k as my daily. I won’t expect to get more than 60k in three years TBH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean no offence, but most of the things that you criticise you should/could have known about before you bought the car. ;)
You're right. My only previous experience with McLaren was visiting the showroom in London in 1998 where they had and F1 for sale for $1M (today's worth $23M), and the P1 for $1M, today $1.5M - $2.2M. Back in 2017, McLaren Bergen County was selling used 650's for $168K. Not known to me, in the last few years they've started "mass" production and every 6 months some new model. Oh well, it is what it is. Buyer be aware.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You're right. My only previous experience with McLaren was visiting the showroom in London in 1998 where they had and F1 for sale for $1M (today's worth $23M), and the P1 for $1M, today $1.5M - $2.2M. Back in 2017, McLaren Bergen County was selling used 650's for $168K. Not known to me, in the last few years they've started "mass" production and every 6 months some new model. Oh well, it is what it is. Buyer be aware.
But that’s the exception rather than normal right? How many cars follow that trajectory? Almost none right? Some research probably would have served you well before parting with $200k.

To give you some advance warning, your newly ordered Porsche will lose a significant chunk of its value - it most definitely won’t appreciate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry to say the 911 4S will tank because in 3 years, and the next model will be the better car because so many Porschephiles don’t care for some of the features, and they will make changes ......weird 3rd brake light, and shifter sorry to say. Dealers are flooded with new 992’s, and see the used car discounts on new cars that were traded or demos. Long time Porsche owner I will only buy GT cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the price on the McLaren has been dropping like a rock for 2 reasons, they make too many cars and the Depression is driving down prices all over. I'm leasing the new Porsche, $50K for 3 years, versus $150K purchase. Three years ago Mclaren was making 1,000 cars per year, now 5,000. Didn't know three years ago what their plan was. Again previous experience was their F1 and P1. Three years ago, used 650s were selling for $168K. Then they flooded the market. Same as Ferrari and Lambo. They all thought the economy had no limits. Welcome to 2020. A war without bombs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good move on the lease. Production have been over 1000 for awhile, and it actually made sense as the economy was moving with lots of cheap dollars. COVID 19 was just the atomic bomb to the car market, and more to come. Look at 488 prices awful.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So the price on the McLaren has been dropping like a rock for 2 reasons, they make too many cars and the Depression is driving down prices all over. I'm leasing the new Porsche, $50K for 3 years, versus $150K purchase. Three years ago Mclaren was making 1,000 cars per year, now 5,000. Didn't know three years ago what their plan was. Again previous experience was their F1 and P1. Three years ago, used 650s were selling for $168K. Then they flooded the market. Same as Ferrari and Lambo. They all thought the economy had no limits. Welcome to 2020. A war without bombs.
3 years ago you would have been able to gauge residuals by looking at the 12C which was introduced in 2012. Wasn’t following the trajectory of the F1 or P1. Poor research if you were looking for a car that would appreciate in value.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So one of the greatest things I miss with Mclaren is the ability to see the engine and work on the car. I was a professional mechanic long time ago, still have a full shop at my house and have rebuilt engines, transmissions, turbos, etc. The NSX I had for 12 years came with a full service manual and I did all the maintenance. At the time, Honda made their cars to be very serviceable. All you get with McLaren (and you have to search for it) is how to open the tiny cover over the engine. Car enthusiasts want to know and look at and work on the whole car. Not just $1,500 per year for a freaking oil change, needed or not. I loved the car for the most part (except for the gawkers). Where I live,15 years ago, I could take my NSX up to 150 any day any time. The world has changed where I live, more cops, more distracted drivers, more deer, whatever. Next.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just got my new 2020 570s yesterday with a bit more stuff on it and I can't be more pleased. I put 7K on the 2019 one and it was a blast. The only reason I did not put more miles was because of the (Chinees Virus - Covid 19) - It stopped us from making the cross-county trip. No issues with taking long trips and packing stuff for two. Took the car to FL for two weeks and had plenty of space for stuff.

I did not pay full price for the 2019 and I did not lose any money on the new car deal. You just have to be smart about how you make a deal. It is all about timing and leverage. Realistically, this is not the time to sell any car let alone an exotic car. Unless you are doing some special trade.

I just got back from Baltimore and the big car carriers are just sitting in the port not moving. McLaren has stopped production and even when they come back, there will be supply shortage. Also, their production line is going be changed due to (Chinees Virus - Covid 19) so they would be making less cars since everyone needs to be so many feet apart. Supply/parts cost is going to be higher and there will be less cars produced. Therefore, prices are going to go higher for new cars. Second had market will follow.

I have driven Porsches and have come close to buying them many times. Being half German, you would think I would. One look at below picture and you would say…

Billionaire doors … Why buy a Porsche? 😁

·
Registered
922 Posts
lol.

Everyone with aspirations to own a supercar - WHY DONT THEY MAKE ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE, SO EXPENSIVE OMG.

Some of those who get the chance - WHY DO THEY MAKE SO MAY CARS, VALUES DROP, THEY DONT CARE OMG.

And round and round we go, where we stop, doesnt matter cause people gonna bitch and moan no matter what.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just got my new 2020 570s yesterday with a bit more stuff on it and I can't be more pleased. I put 7K on the 2019 one and it was a blast. The only reason I did not put more miles was because of the (Chinees Virus - Covid 19) - It stopped us from making the cross-county trip. No issues with taking long trips and packing stuff for two. Took the car to FL for two weeks and had plenty of space for stuff.

I did not pay full price for the 2019 and I did not lose any money on the new car deal. You just have to be smart about how you make a deal. It is all about timing and leverage. Realistically, this is not the time to sell any car let alone an exotic car. Unless you are doing some special trade.

I just got back from Baltimore and the big car carriers are just sitting in the port not moving. McLaren has stopped production and even when they come back, there will be supply shortage. Also, their production line is going be changed due to (Chinees Virus - Covid 19) so they would be making less cars since everyone needs to be so many feet apart. Supply/parts cost is going to be higher and there will be less cars produced. Therefore, prices are going to go higher for new cars. Second had market will follow.

I have driven Porsches and have come close to buying them many times. Being half German, you would think I would. One look at below picture and you would say…

View attachment 201937
nothing like a flat 6 that revs to 9K:) I love both girls.

View attachment 201937
nothing like a flat 6 that revs to 9K:) I love both girls.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts