McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was researching Gallardo's many of the posts on lambotalk 6sp forum, etc stated that the worst thing to do on a gallardo for clutch/trans life was driving in automatic mode, up a lot of hills, driving in reverse, and leaving the car in gear while stopped at a stoplight.
Many even went so far as to say switch the car into neutral while stopped at a light, if you want to save your clutch life.

While I do not plan on driving my Mac in anything but sport,manual, I'm just curious if anyone knows if these other driving styles would shorten clutch life, or if they are bad for the car

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
When I was researching Gallardo's many of the posts on lambotalk 6sp forum, etc stated that the worst thing to do on a gallardo for clutch/trans life was driving in automatic mode, up a lot of hills, driving in reverse, and leaving the car in gear while stopped at a stoplight.
Many even went so far as to say switch the car into neutral while stopped at a light, if you want to save your clutch life.

While I do not plan on driving my Mac in anything but sport,manual, I'm just curious if anyone knows if these other driving styles would shorten clutch life, or if they are bad for the car
Nothing is bad for the clutch as their are so many failsafes,when i was talking to main tech guy at the MTC last year,he said apart from the monocell they were the most confident on the life span of the gearbox and engine,and apart from the odd anomoly, they expected lifespan to excede 250k miles,that is with all the intense testing they did.One of which was a bench test on an engine and gearbox run at maximum revs up and down the gearbox for 6 weeks none stop,apart from standard servicing!!!

·
Owner
277 Posts

In the Lambo when your foot is on the brake you are in neutral no need to shift there up hill and reverse not that good for clutch life on Lambo.

·
Administrator
2,739 Posts
Most of these myths go back to the original F1/paddle transmissions used by Ferrari (F355, 360) and Aston Martin (Vanquish). Leaving it in gear at a stop light, reversing, and stop and go traffic all reduced clutch life significantly. The new systems don't have any of these issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts