McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEy guys, I tried finding some info on here, and excuse me if I missed it, but I was curious as to you taller guys , 6'4 + , how well did you fit in the 570s? Are certain seats better than others for this issue?...

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,384 Posts
From another thread:
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...-bucket-seats-vs-manual-seats.html#post927002
This is my rough and totally unscientific chart on max height to be comfy in a 12C/650S/675LT:
________________Electric seat_____Regular seat
Coupe Driver:______6'4"~6'5"_______6'5"~6'6"
Coupe Pssngr:______6'2"~6'3"_______6'3"~6'4"
Spider Driver:______6'2"~6'3"_______6'3"~6'4"
Spider Pssngr:______6'0"~6'1"_______6'1"~6'2"

From what I've heard, the 570 is roughly the same or some reports say maybe a touch more cramped headroom wise (so probably safe to take an inch or so off the chart above)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm 6ft and had no issues with headroom or overall comfort and space, but the 570S that I test drove did have the sport bucket seats which were horrible....even the sales rep said he is advising customers to avoid ordering them and just get the regular seats

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
I'm somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2" and had no issues with headroom and a 570 with standard seats.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Torso length is the bigger factor.

I am 6'0" with a 29.5" inseam so I have the torso of a person that is 6'5".

I found that if I reclined the seat slightly it was great. The sport buckets will give you the most head room and you can rake those back slightly if you need the extra. I just ordered the regular powered seats.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and fit perfectly in a car with the standard seats. I actually had the seat moved a bit forward. Still had some headroom, plenty of leg room, and amazingly the steering wheel telescopes *very* far out for a great driving position. One of the most comfortable cars I've been in.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been considering both a 650S spider and a 570C. I'm 6'3". I can squeeze into the 650S but with the top closed it is claustrophobic. If I tilt my head to the side it hits the inside of the roof near the driver side window. This does not happen in my 991 Carrera Cabriolet which all around has much more room for a tall guy. With the 650S top down it is better as my head doesn't hit the side of the roof, but even so I'm looking through the very top part of the windshield and the steering wheel seems rather low in my lap even when adjusted all the way up. This is with electric seats. I've sat in one 650S that had manual seats and it was about 1" better clearance, but still not what I would say is ideal for 6'3".

The 570S is better. First, it's a coupe - so there's inherently more headroom than in a convertible with the top closed. I can get into what I consider very close to an ideal driving position. My head still will hit the roof beam by the driver side window, but not as bad as in the 650S spider. I seem to be looking through a point in the windshield a couple of inches lower than in the 650S, which is important - and the outward visibility is better.

In the end, neither car fits like a 911, but they're just so much sexier. I may give up a bit of fit to gain a much better looking and more exclusive car. If a 570S were on the market today, that would be the way to go for a tall guy in my opinion.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been considering both a 650S spider and a 570C. I'm 6'3". I can squeeze into the 650S but with the top closed it is claustrophobic. If I tilt my head to the side it hits the inside of the roof near the driver side window. This does not happen in my 991 Carrera Cabriolet which all around has much more room for a tall guy. With the 650S top down it is better as my head doesn't hit the side of the roof, but even so I'm looking through the very top part of the windshield and the steering wheel seems rather low in my lap even when adjusted all the way up. This is with electric seats. I've sat in one 650S that had manual seats and it was about 1" better clearance, but still not what I would say is ideal for 6'3".

The 570S is better. First, it's a coupe - so there's inherently more headroom than in a convertible with the top closed. I can get into what I consider very close to an ideal driving position. My head still will hit the roof beam by the driver side window, but not as bad as in the 650S spider. I seem to be looking through a point in the windshield a couple of inches lower than in the 650S, which is important - and the outward visibility is better.

In the end, neither car fits like a 911, but they're just so much sexier. I may give up a bit of fit to gain a much better looking and more exclusive car. If a 570S were on the market today, that would be the way to go for a tall guy in my opinion.
Tilt the seat back, it made a big offense for me in the 570S

·
Registered
374 Posts

I'm a long time Porsche guy and usually agree with the interior room, however, recently i've been in a 997 RS and a 991 turbo s, I was surpised how narrow they felt for me, mclaren def has more width/cabin room and overall space for me?

I'm 6'3 280 (bodybuilder build)

To the OP 6'3 never had any issues with space or room inn my MP4, or 570s with sport seats or buckets, with and without helmet in both seats. You should find yourself right at home with the seat adjusted all the way down to the floor, all the way back and tilting seat back just until it automatically pushes the seat forward. Perfect for us bigger guys

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
It's only been 5 years since the last post, so I'll look at it from a different perspective - a short driver. I used to be 5' 7.5", but 6 years in USAF & a few years flying aerobatics, plus a lot of years on my personal clock have brought me down to 5' 4.5". (Obviously that 3" loss is mostly in the spine.) I just bought a '17 570GT, and found that I need 1.5" padding to come to a good eye height.

My last Porsches have been easy to modify. Through at least '89 Porsche made a taller track that could be installed, and for my 981 Cayman S, I just bought Grade 8 bolts, spacers, & raised the tracks. I talked to the local McLaren dealer about raising the seats, and was told "We can't touch those seats". For now, I'm using a pad, but will talk with my Ferrari mech soon. I would love to hear from anyone else who is not "overly" tall, and has ideas.

Thanx,
Richard

·
Owner
801 Posts
It's only been 5 years since the last post, so I'll look at it from a different perspective - a short driver. I used to be 5' 7.5", but 6 years in USAF & a few years flying aerobatics, plus a lot of years on my personal clock have brought me down to 5' 4.5". (Obviously that 3" loss is mostly in the spine.) I just bought a '17 570GT, and found that I need 1.5" padding to come to a good eye height.

My last Porsches have been easy to modify. Through at least '89 Porsche made a taller track that could be installed, and for my 981 Cayman S, I just bought Grade 8 bolts, spacers, & raised the tracks. I talked to the local McLaren dealer about raising the seats, and was told "We can't touch those seats". For now, I'm using a pad, but will talk with my Ferrari mech soon. I would love to hear from anyone else who is not "overly" tall, and has ideas.

Thanx,
Richard
I'm on the short side 5'5"/135 on a good day. I fit in all manner of formula and race cars. My Track Pack has the P1 seats. I have them on the highest setting and I am still pretty low in the tub... but I like it.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Dino,
It looks like there is still plenty of room for a helmet in there.
Keep the shiny side up,
Richard

·
Owner
801 Posts
Dino,
It looks like there is still plenty of room for a helmet in there.
Keep the shiny side up,
Richard
I don't even feel cramped with my helmet on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts