McLaren Life banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· 2012 MP4-12C
10,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I’m also in the middle of building a 6 car detached garage/man cave and have given a lot of thought to flooring. While I’m not ready for the flooring install yet (just took out 30, 16ton truck loads of dirt to clear the space), I’ve decided on porcelain tile. Epoxy seems to be the popular choice...but mine will be more of a show garage with a small lounge area. Terrazzo would be nice but it’s silly expensive. Porcelain gives it that high end car dealership feel/look and is extremely durable as well. Epoxy is nice but it’s too common and colored concrete fades and wears...IMHO.

Either way...frustratingly fun times...
If you settle on a brand/model of tile that you like, and are comfortable sharing it, would appreciate it. Good luck with your build. Yea, these are high rent and wonderful 'problems' to have.

· Registered
2021 765LT #185
40 Posts
I 2nd the Monolithic Porcelain Tile. Way better than Epoxy or Polished Concreted. And a lot more durable over the long haul.

Make sure the ceiling height is tall and tuck the garage doors up right against the ceiling.

LED lighting Panels are nice, Indirect is nicer but not as much direct light that you sometimes need.

Use garage door openers that hook up to the jack shaft on the side of the header. If you do tall car lifts later on you will thank me.

If you are going to do a wash system in the garage you better isolate it with curtains or a wall. It never works out well to wash, not wipe down, a car inside a nice garage with others right next to them.

Built a walk in utility room. I have one with a Boiler, 175PSI Air, Nitrogen, Vacuum, Hot and Cold Soft Water and a built in 220V 2500 PSI 5 GPM pressure washer with auto on off. Plumb all the stuff to the other side of the inside wall in a garage so you can have everything on reels with switches on the outside, but all the equipment behind the wall, hidden and quiet. Plumb in all the items to go out, Ie, Air, Nitrogen, Hot and Cold Low Pressure water and High Pressure water, Vacuum. I used Cox reels and MacNaught RACR reels. They are some of the best. www.macnaughtusa.com

Get a water softener that uses salt. Nothing else. Also get a large capacity filter on the inlet.

Get a boiler and plumb it for the pressure washer, Stainless sink that you are going to add and do radiant heating. You can put the tubes in a use IR to see where they are heating later to drill holes for the lift around the tubes, not though the tubes. Also do refrigerated air. 50 Amps.

Run 200 or 300 AMP service. The pressure washer will take 30 Amps, Same 30 Amps for the compressor.

Poor the concrete floor for a lift. 6" is to little. The lift Mfg will say what you need but I tend to lean to the safe side. 12" with #4 or #6 40 re bar 12" OC. Concrete is cheap and the guys never get the slab perfect so thicker is better. Make sure the sub grade is compacted like a MF. If it is not shit will go wrong down the road.

If you want the best cabinets in the business go Rousseau. My company sells them. I would love to help but if you have a local guy that does high end garages go with them. You will spend $50G to $150G on cabinets, lighting and all the nice stuff. https://www.rousseau.com/int_en/industries/home-garage/. What you see on the web site is the tip of the iceberg. They will do anything you want including 100% custom stuff. If you know what a list Cabient is, Rousseau is substantially better if you can believe it.

As for Room. Model everything up in software and make sure you have enough room to walk around everything with all the car doors open at once with your arms spread wide. You should have enough room in front of the cars to park a small car. ie you want 2 cars deep in the garage build the garage 60' deep. Put the sink far away in the corner by the bathroom. You would be surprised to see how much stuff splashes out of a sink with a sprayer and how far it travels.

Put a 2 and 4 post lift in. You will need both if you want to do certain things. 4 Post is just nice to get a car out of the way most of the time but it serves a good purpose for some things.

You are going to be north of $250K if you want to do it really nice.

· Registered
43 Posts
I think PRI has given many outstanding recommendations (I had many of the same thoughts, but now I don't have to write them!). If you are trying to do everything in the mode of "the best, or nothing" then use that post as a checklist. Otherwise there are certainly aspects of the cost which you can pare back or do over time.

· Registered
239 Posts
You are going to be north of $250K if you want to do it really nice.
I got a price last month for a 675 sf barebones insulated garage with a mini-split ac for just over $250,000. Before Covid I could buy a new 3 bedroom house for that. Talk to some contractors to get an idea of costs and time frame before getting plans drawn up.

· Registered
14 Posts
I’m 95% done with my garage. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted and what made sense (for me). I’ll share with you my thoughts and a few photos.
1. I don’t work on my cars. I like to detail and clean them but no mechanical.
2. 3 car space.
3. Lounge with hangout space, bathroom, sink tv.
4. Heated
5. Esthetically pleasing.
These were my wants as I designed this. I also wanted something different. I would say nearly everyone builds up (loft space). So I built down. We excavated and terraced my location to allow for cars to be parked above and a lounge space below (pics). We chose radiant heat above and below. I went with epoxy flooring. Not at all concerned with yellowing. As for size. The entire structure is 46x40. Car space is 26 deep by 40 long. This allowed for 3 separate 10 foot wide by 8 doors with room between. Side mounted openers to allow for maximum head room. Wall mounted pressure washer and a small bathroom. 200amp service, wired internet, etc etc. I installed a trackman golf simulator with the largest screen possible (16x9) that doubles as a tv. So we can play around and entertain for bigger events. I’m sure I’m forgetting things so please, ask away. (I didn’t realize I have so few recent photos….I can snag new ones if there’s anything specific someone wants)
Plant Property Tree Building Wood

Flooring Floor Road surface Hall Asphalt

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Baize Building Flooring Floor Billiard table

Window Wood Building Hall Flooring

Window Helmet Automotive design Sports equipment Luggage and bags

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Machine

Wood Window Flooring Floor Building material

Building Plant Property Window Table

Building Sky Property Cloud Plant

Plant community Sky Cloud Building Plant

· Registered
599 Posts
I just found this thread. For flooring types I have several different kinds at my house. Epoxy, poly urea, and polished concrete. The only one I wouldn't recommend is polyurea. They will tell you that it's better than epoxy because it cures "flexible", so if you drop something hard on it, it won't chip like epoxy. In my experience that is bunk. The polyurea will scrape and scuff up and because it's flexible any dirt/debris on your tires will get pressed into it and embedded into the material, giving you discolored "stripes" where you drive over it constantly.

I like my epoxy a lot, It's easy to clean. I also like the polished concrete. I don't think you can go wrong either way with a good installer.

That being said, for my next project I'm going to use rectified edge ceramic tile. Rectified edge just means the edges of the tiles are ground smooth and straight, so you don't need to have a grout line in between. It can look like one solid, seamless tile surface. It's extremely durable and hard to scratch or chip and I've heard good things about it.

· Registered
48 Posts
One thing I would consider would be strategically placed floor plugs for battery tenders to eliminate extension cords running across the floors if it is a large garage. I would also place multiple air hose connections in the wall so you dont have to roll out a long length of air hose when needed. Light, light and more light , cant have it too bright in my opinion.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts