McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
570S Silica White
783 Posts
I know Brooks says in the video the Senna is nutso fast, but oh my the 720S more than holds its own, even given the better launch because of the tire difference. Even at the far end the Senna wasn't closing all that rapidly.

·
Registered
814 Posts
goes back to what he said about the aero. 1or 2 mph difference in trap is not much and probably due to downforce.
perhaps with better tires....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I know Brooks says in the video the Senna is nutso fast, but oh my the 720S more than holds its own, even given the better launch because of the tire difference. Even at the far end the Senna wasn't closing all that rapidly.
Senna: 158 mph to turn 2 laguna seca (pro and amateur)
720s: 151 mph to turn 2 laguna seca (pro and amateur).

Both at previous turn (11 apex) at 38 mph.

Senna does what it is supposed to do and what it is built to do.

Just as an aside; people nutso to think 765 can/will hang with Senna on track.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Well you see the problem in the video already ... the Senna does not get off the line and has traction issues - first that is of course the tires and not ideal track conditions, but secondly its also bc its much lighter on the rear than the 720s and has wider tires which make a controlled launch far more difficult especially with the more aggressive set up the Senna has compared to the civilized 720s in general.

with similar tires and a well prepared track that eliminates wheel spin and two drivers used to drag racing ( you see Brooks has a much better reaction time and is far more used to drag racing) I would say the Senna should be able to beat a 720s by 0.2-0.3sec ...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Senna: 158 mph to turn 2 laguna seca (pro and amateur)
720s: 151 mph to turn 2 laguna seca (pro and amateur).

Both at previous turn (11 apex) at 38 mph.

Senna does what it is supposed to do and what it is built to do.

Just as an aside; people nutso to think 765 can/will hang with Senna on track.
I would also guess that the acceleration point for the Senna is a bit before the 720s and you could brake a bit later ... so the Senna also has a longer distance over which it can accelerate ... even if both cars would accelerate exactly the same ( I assume the Senna is indeed a bit better than the 720s) the Senna would still have quiet some advantage while also carrying much more df into the turn which helps with harder braking and more speed on the apex of the 2nd turn ...

Reactions: Ronin1099

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would also guess that the acceleration point for the Senna is a bit before the 720s and you could brake a bit later ... so the Senna also has a longer distance over which it can accelerate ... even if both cars would accelerate exactly the same ( I assume the Senna is indeed a bit better than the 720s) the Senna would still have quiet some advantage while also carrying much more df into the turn which helps with harder braking and more speed on the apex of the 2nd turn ...
You are correct. One can get to 100% power on Senna coming out of turns faster than 720s and can brake later . These are big advantages when it comes to track driving.

Any speed matrix that starts with zero and/or ends with zero (ie; starting from a stopped position or ending acceleration to a stopped position doesn't really have much relevance to track driving).

720s is a fun car to drive on track though. An absolute passing machine.

I'm having a hard time seeing a 765 beat Senna around a track (too much downforce, the entire package of how it stops/brakes is something else when compared to other track focused street cars). Understeer? what is understeer when one gets a proper alignment on the car.

Mclaren should get their test cars dialed in before they give them to journalists for track tests (it's almost criminal that the alignment/camber settings are street settings and not track settings).

Reactions: Spr and ChrisK1982

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Completely meaningless results, given the grip issue. It'd be nice to see with both cars on the same tyres, although this really isn't what they're made to do.
Well Brooks wanted to drag race a Senna I guess ;) ... So for him its not meaningless :ROFLMAO:

·
2012 MP4-12C
674 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing a 765 beat Senna around a track
It absolutely shouldn't given the difference in downforce, weight, and price... I haven't seen anyone on this forum saying otherwise. However, the 765LT should be considerably quicker in a straight line given the relative lack of downforce (i.e. drag) and shorter gearing (directly translating to higher wheel torque). Assuming an equal start, I think thing will be more or less equal to around 60-80, and then the 765LT will walk the Senna... especially given the results of this video!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It absolutely shouldn't given the difference in downforce, weight, and price... I haven't seen anyone on this forum saying otherwise. However, the 765LT should be considerably quicker in a straight line given the relative lack of downforce (i.e. drag) and shorter gearing (directly translating to higher wheel torque). Assuming an equal start, I think thing will be more or less equal to around 60-80, and then the 765LT will walk the Senna... especially given the results of this video!
I have senna (tracked it twice so far ) , I’ve tracked 720 extensively and getting a 765 that I will also track extensively

The braking and what you feel in the downforce with senna is on a much higher level then 720s. 25% more downforce then 720 won’t bring it into senna territory

Keep in mind that I’m unbiased . (This is not a knock on 765. I’m really looking forward to putting it through it’s paces ). After I bought my senna and tracked it twice then to me it was game over for any non race car compared to senna on track .

Reactions: Gary(SF)

·
2012 MP4-12C
674 Posts
I have senna (tracked it twice so far ) , I’ve tracked 720 extensively and getting a 765 that I will also track extensively

The braking and what you feel in the downforce with senna is on a much higher level then 720s. 25% more downforce then 720 won’t bring it into senna territory

Keep in mind that I’m unbiased . (This is not a knock on 765. I’m really looking forward to putting it through it’s paces ). After I bought my senna and tracked it twice then to me it was game over for any non race car compared to senna on track .
Did you read my post? I was agreeing with you about Senna on track...

And of course you are biased. You have a Senna. Lol.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Did you read my post? I was agreeing with you about Senna on track...

And of course you are biased. You have a Senna. Lol.
LOL's... I didn't even mention P1.

fwiw; I bought the Senna 4 months after I spec'd 765.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Senna almost a year in - love it!
Track straight hill carving lower glass windows aggressive stance featherweight.
Anyone get the Can Am upgrade exhaust and power - been asking the dealer with no luck.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was very impressed how well the Senna drove, throttle response was much better than the 720S, car felt noticeablly lighter, go-kart ish, and VERY raw, loud, obnoxious... with some good tires, Senna would beat the 720s down the 1/4 mile.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts