McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
Just did some quick search. I couldn't find any per se laws against acceleration.

There are laws against racing and if you are racing to display acceleration you could get in trouble, but you have to be racing. Most other things are really just under reckless driving and catching wrong attention from a cop. But didn't see per se laws against acceleration.

Is there a legal acceleration limit - Blog

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Crazy. Was it some form of "unsafe" driving charge. I don't know any specific statutes against acceleration, but I could easily be unaware.
I forget what it was, I'll ask him. I was about to launch from the lights, since there was no other traffic around, and I made some comment about at least they can't get me if I lift at 70, and he explained that he'd been ticketed for precisely that. Some sort of V8 muscle car I believe, I forget which one, they all look the same to me.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
428 Posts
It’s called ‘displaying speed’ and I got a ticket for it in college in an Acura Integra GSR...LOL. There is a lot of ‘discretion’ in it...But taking off too fast or spinning the tires (not a burn out) can be a ticket-able offense. So YES...there are laws against it even if you’re not ‘racing.’ An officer can deem it to be ‘dangerous’ or reckless...again a lot of discretion.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
It’s called ‘displaying speed’ and I got a ticket for it in college in an Acura Integra GSR...LOL. There is a lot of ‘discretion’ in it...But taking off too fast or spinning the tires (not a burn out) can be a ticket-able offense. So YES...there are laws against it even if you’re not ‘racing.’ An officer can deem it to be ‘dangerous’ or reckless...again a lot of discretion.
Thats the kind of thing I would fight for sure (unless I did spin wheels). At the very least I would ensure it cost the state way more than it cost me. Seems like a way to pick on people when you would think 'reckless' or 'careless' driving would give them plenty of leeway as a catchall to start.

I once had a cop pull out going the other way on the high way off an off ramp claim he could tell how fast I was going past him in the other lane by eye! He was 40mph off my true speed. Yea, that claim was thrown out by the prosecutor as I told him I planned to request a full trial on the record, and made a point to tell him I guaranteed him it would cost the state more than it would me. I planned to test the cop too. Then again, I used to have more energy for bs like that, now, I'd probably take 'wasn't wearing a seatbelt' plea just to be done with them.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I was also labouring under this misapprehension until recently. I have a friend who got a ticket for accelerating too quickly. I forget what he said the exact offence was, but it was in TX.
true story. You can be cited for any number of variations of reckless driving, or more minor offenses like driving unsafely for the road conditions, by accelerating too quickly or otherwise having fun under the speed limit. Additionally, if the cop thinks you’re racing, then Display of Speed is a serious problem, even under the posted limit. Your insurance company will drop you for that, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Street racing is a big problem in some areas (like LA), and the cops have a wide range of options to punish people driving in ways they disagree with. Insurance companies HATE people caught street racing. You do not want them to confuse you for that, so these are citations that basically require you hire a lawyer and fight it.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Just did some quick search. I couldn't find any per se laws against acceleration.
… if they don’t like you, they will find the law to charge you with. “That Zombie guy was a prick interrupting my donut break. Here’s a citation for your exhaust being too loud. Have fun proving it’s not. Don’t even care if you win, because I already won ruining your day”

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Crazy. Was it some form of "unsafe" driving charge. I don't know any specific statutes against acceleration, but I could easily be unaware.
I'm pretty sure you can get ticketed for like anything that the police might deem "unsafe". Accelerating too fast could arguably be deemed that, which is what you often see Mustang owners do before they crash.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
227 Posts
Here in Cali, they call it "Exhibition of Speed".... I got cited for it once on one of my bikes... Got it thrown out. BUT, that was back in the day.... These days, they are just looking to throw the book at you as is were.... BIG money maker! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
Or the cops might like you and punish you for egregious reckless and insane driving with a mean tweet:

Extremely dangerous, yet that speed in Germany, no big deal. Maybe it was dangerous for the conditions, who knows. I'm willing to bet it could have been a big empty highway with no one on it, and no big deal, under many conditions. No doubt cops do deal with idiots an lunatics that make people unsafe, and I fully support their ability to correct that idiocy. That said, I think most times, it's just bs justifications to tax the public. Cops have tried that "it's dangerous, think of the children, SAFETEEE" bs justification to soothe their ego that they are cherry picking water buffalo.

A cop tried that with me nailing me going 85 in some bumbleF North Dakota spot completely alone. I said, give me a break. 99% of the people speed 90% of the time, and you know damn well you do too. This speed is the legal limit in Texas in places. This has nothing to do with that, this pure tax revenue and turning normal people into "criminals" is idiocy you can keep to yourself along with your BS excuses for it. Out of state prey for a cop is always appreciated. To which he replied he doesn't make the laws, and I agreed, but please spare me the miserable idiot moralizing justifications and just give me the damn ticket and piss off.

I'll take the ticket and play the "lets make a deal" game with the prosecutor, get this BS leveled down to "careless driving" so the county makes ALL the money and insurance doesn't get to add points. The entire thing is such a corrupt bs racket, the adding of bs 'morality' to such an immoral bs system that makes it possible for the govt to stop 90% of the public that ignores the bs limits any time, basically institutionalizes the ability to have discriminatory stops anytime they want. All that and then them putting their BS illegitimate morality as an excuse is one bridge too far for me to go.

In the mean time the truly unsafe drivers that can't pull into traffic causing traffic for an hour, or ride in the left lane going slow and never being corrected, idiot tailgaters, and the normal parade of horribles that are NJ/Florida drivers, they continue their heinous death causing driving unabated.

Also even sadder is we employ cops and waste their time as glorified tax collectors instead of letting them be out and about to actually help people and cutting down on crime with this BS.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yeah, same here. NorCal is pretty lenient compared to most places, but 100+ is a bridge too far.
I am in NorCal and there is NOTHING lenient about it here! The CHP are ruthless %$&@'ers... The last ticket I got which was 15 over in a 55, mind you that on this freeway the avg speed these people were doing was 80+, I was treated like I had just committed a violent felony, read the riot act and received a derogatory bash that went something like, "You guys with your fancy cars thinking you are race car drivers & untouchable" blah blah blah.... :rolleyes:

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
I am in NorCal and there is NOTHING lenient about it here! The CHP are ruthless %$&@'ers... The last ticket I got which was 15 over in a 55, mind you that on this freeway the avg speed these people were doing was 80+, I was treated like I had just committed a violent felony, read the riot act and received a derogatory bash that went something like, "You guys with your fancy cars thinking you are race car drivers & untouchable" blah blah blah.... :rolleyes:
CHP are scum of the earth and by far the worst cops in the country. Pure scum. They give cops everywhere a bad name.

·
Registered
227 Posts
CHP are scum of the earth and by far the worst cops in the country. Pure scum. They give cops everywhere a bad name.
And the funny thing, they start out as decent human beings.... Case in point: I got pulled over on my Monster for a tinted headlight (mind you they had to turn around and catch up to me for this...). It was European Yellow and is sold at the dealership. I did mine myself with stained glass spray. Once pulled over, the senior officer starting looking for other things to violate me on... I heard a noise (my back was turned) and he was RAMMING his baton down the exhaust pipes telling the trainee this is Illegal, then on to the my CF windscreen, telling me "you can't see thru this"! To which I said, Sir, you can't bend over far enough to even look thru it! Then on and on and on.... Finally once they were done taking their sweet time (literally 30mins!) writing the ticket, for which after ALL the drama about this and that, it was ONLY for the headlight lens, the trainee comes up to me and says, "Man, I'm really sorry about this" as he hands it to me to sign.... They then get corrupted/cynical or whatever and become as you mentioned above.

To top it off, when I went to my local PD to have the fix it ticket signed off for correction, the officer looks at the ticket then at me and plain as day says, "Well this is chicken shit!".... :LOL:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
lol, sure, but now ask some of our members from New York, Virginia, or Finland and some other European countries. CHP is definitely on the lenient side. Not Oklahoma lenient, no, but not “the units of this fine are in % of your annual income” either.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
lol, sure, but now ask some of our members from New York, Virginia, or Finland and some other European countries. CHP is definitely on the lenient side. Not Oklahoma lenient, no, but not “the units of this fine are in % of your annual income” either.
I have had a lot of better experiences in nyc than chp (around LA), but as always, ymmv.

As for the commie % of your income in Europe, yea, it’s not something I could tolerate. Kudos to those that do.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts