McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Imagine how useless it is on a track, those brakes would boil within 2 laps on silverstone gp circuit.

Youtube car culture is utterly garbage isnt it.
Yeah, but it's not exactly hard to save weight by building it all out of CF, turning it from a giant sedan into a 2 seater with little storage, and give up some range.

Plaid powertrain could fit in a much lighter car if they wanted to build one. Bodes well for the future I think.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yeah, but it's not exactly hard to save weight by building it all out of CF, turning it from a giant sedan into a 2 seater with little storage, and give up some range.

Plaid powertrain could fit in a much lighter car if they wanted to build one. Bodes well for the future I think.
The batteries and the electric motor are the problem not the body but some day they wont be. Regardless, still boring but makes for a great appliance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm having MIchelin PS4S on my car on Monday. I've been pushing it pretty hard and will report back if I can notice a difference next week.
3,000 miles on my Cup 2's so far. From what I have concluded, they are a much better tire when cold compared to the stock 765 Trofeo R's. But once the Trofeo's are warmed up, they were the better tire. Trofeo's wear much faster I noticed too. And the Trofeos' wear out the wallet a lot faster as well compared to the Cup 2's haha.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
425 Posts
I was impressed to see the Plaid clearly pulling on the 765 up top. Didn’t expect it to be ‘that’ obvious because from the roll races I’ve seen they are very close.

In terms of fun, aural and visceral there is NO comparison. If the future of sports car is to have the car drive for you...then no thanks. Otherwise EV are great...

Had the 720 out today...what an incredible car...The Plaid doesn’t make me wanna look back with a smile in remembrance of all the fun I just had...

·
Registered
23 Posts

Oh I just mean that the brakes and the rest of the car arent build for that kind of performance, some proper callipers, alcon race discs and pads, ducts, lines and some better DOT fluid would solve the brake problem... but largely we get that as standard, apart from the fluid and maybe lines.

Just people see this on youtube and think a tesla is a faster car, it really isnt is it

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brooks made this look way closer than it was. The Tesla destroys the 765 in a straight line. It's not even close. If that's what you're all about then the Plaid is your car. The first turn, and it's all over for the plaid. Still, the straight line is truly impressive.
Tesla builds cars quickly ….

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,147 Posts
The latest aerial documentary shows that an average of one Model 3 will be "born" from this factory every 44.3 seconds. From another perspective, you can see that in a 10-minute video, a total of 16 Model Y were born, which is almost one car every 38 seconds.
This rate is enough to surpass Ford, famous for its production line. Their previous record was 53 seconds to produce one F-150 pickup truck.
THAT IS CRAZY!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
evs are shit. end of.
The first turn, and it's all over for the plaid. Still, the straight line is truly impressive.
Many Americans seem to care more about quarter mile times than driving experience or finesse. It is impressive that a large, road-legal car, with ample space, can do this. Tesla haven't made a sports car yet (other than on PowerPoint). If / when they do, I've no doubt that it'll be good.

To be fair, I get a "kick" out of acceleration in a straight line, as well as cornering fast. They're the only things that make going to work bearable :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
It would take 15 minutes and a laptop computer to tune a 765, run an 8.7-8.9, and destroy a Plaid in the 1/4 mile if thats all that one cares about. If someone is planning on spending $600k-900k strictly for a 765LT and planning to only use it for a drag car, then they might want to get their head checked lol. Last time I checked, Mclaren didn't design the 765LT to be a drag racing car, they designed it to murder every production car (minus Senna) on a road corse, which of course it does. It just so happens that it also is the fastest ICE powered production vehicle (no hybrid or electric) that money can buy today in the 1/4 mile which is just an extra bonus. If someone wants to spend $600-900k on a drag car, they could buy a top fuel dragster car for less than $500k that will run a 3 second, 330mph, 1/4 mile and have lots of spare change left over!

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would take 15 minutes and a laptop computer to tune a 765, run an 8.7-8.9, and destroy a Plaid in the 1/4 mile if thats all that one cares about. If someone is planning on spending $600k-900k strictly for a 765LT and planning to only use it for a drag car, then they might want to get their head checked lol. Last time I checked, Mclaren didn't design the 765LT to be a drag racing car, they designed it to murder every production car (minus Senna) on a road corse, which of course it does. It just so happens that it also is the fastest ICE powered production vehicle (no hybrid or electric) that money can buy today in the 1/4 mile which is just an extra bonus. If someone wants to spend $600-900k on a drag car, they could buy a top fuel dragster car for less than $500k that will run a 3 second, 330mph, 1/4 mile and have lots of spare change left over!
1977;)

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,147 Posts
Brooks seems to use his for precisely this. I'm not willing to condemn anyone for their use case just because it's not my own. For example, lots of Ferrari owners like to park their car and look at it more than drive it. Not my thing, but if it makes them happy, more power to them. While I agree with you for my use case I don't begrudge others theirs.

And realistically, the speeds and turn in that are "legal" make turning etc all meaningless. About the only thing you can enjoy 'legally' on American roads are there is no limit to acceleration, so blasting off the line, or passing on the highway is about all you can realistically do if you want to keep 100% legal. Which of course is a lie as 99% of the population break speed laws probably 90% of the time. But I digress.

Also, modifying the 765 is besides the point. People have modified the Tesla to not suck as much on track too (it's still crap compared to a 765 of course). You can modify lots of cars to do amazing things, and stock for stock is a more interesting metric to me at least. And I have to give the Tesla it's due for what it does do well, which is straight line acceleration. But it deserves objective criticism on what it fails at (it's a heavy pig that can't handle too great and not really a sports car at all).

But this becomes quite the slippery slope. The 765 is great for what it is, a track focused road car, but even that is silly. If you truly want to track like a champ you want a race car, which will obliterate the 765 on track. Any relatively cheap formula 3 box you get, will decimate the 765 on track. And be cheap at it. And @eMcL shows the rocket car which would decimate most cars on the drag strip. Those top fuel cars are insane too. They suck at anything else of course.

You could get into infinite arguments about "what makes sense" to have, but in the end, it's what makes sense for you to enjoy, IMO. And lots of people enjoy the mix that Tesla has come up with. To each their own.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
And realistically, the speeds and turn in that are "legal" make turning etc all meaningless. About the only thing you can enjoy 'legally' on American roads are there is no limit to acceleration, so blasting off the line, or passing on the highway is about all you can realistically do if you want to keep 100% legal. Which of course is a lie as 99% of the population break speed laws probably 90% of the time. But I digress.
I was also labouring under this misapprehension until recently. I have a friend who got a ticket for accelerating too quickly. I forget what he said the exact offence was, but it was in TX.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts