McLaren Life banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The hybrid system really helps in those conditions. Makes me excited about the the 720s successor. Personally I would always prefer the lightness of the 765lt vs an SF90 with more power but 600 pounds more weight which I read you can really feel in the SF90. And then again, if you take a Tesla S plaid it will beat almost everything atm on the drag strip.
The most stunning thing for me while lapping COTA last week was the transition coming out of Turn 18 to set up for Turn 19. By the end of 18, the tyres are making noises I've never heard before, and it feels like it's going to be impossible to get it over to the right side of the track, hammer the brakes, then do a hard left into 19. This is where you really feel the huge advantage of having a car that's light (and by McLaren standards, mine isn't all that light!). It's a similar story through the esses, and through 7, 8 & 9, it's like it's defying the law of conservation of angular momentum. Fuck the drag strip, imo.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
The hybrid system really helps in those conditions. Makes me excited about the the 720s successor. Personally I would always prefer the lightness of the 765lt vs an SF90 with more power but 600 pounds more weight which I read you can really feel in the SF90. And then again, if you take a Tesla S plaid it will beat almost everything atm on the drag strip.
SF90 can't understand the weight - the electric motors being used aren't heavy large or expensive.
SF90 has Aventador big road presence adds weight- interesting to see where next 720 lands along with Valhalla would be my guess.
Next gen around 3500+ and that's around where the Aventador left off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
SF90 can't understand the weight - the electric motors being used aren't heavy large or expensive.
SF90 has Aventador big road presence adds weight- interesting to see where next 720 lands along with Valhalla would be my guess.
Next gen around 3500+ and that's around where the Aventador left off.
If McLaren does align with one of the VAG brands, which seems inevitable in some form or fashion, then Rimac’s electric motor technology and carbon architecture will likely make it into future McLaren hybrid/electric vehicles.
Rimac is doing some really innovative things with where they are placing the batteries and how they are incorporating them into the structure of the chasis.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'll be interested when batteries get lighter (more energy dense).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts