McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Regardless, 765 seemed a little slow here. I think SF90 is slightly slower from 100-300 km/h than 765. Maybe .75-1 second slower. Difference is that SF90 will consistently be .5 seconds quicker to 100 km/h. So really they’re the same to 250 km/h from a trap speed standpoint and I’d expect the SF90 to almost always cross the line first.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes,of course but very interested to see the performance difference when the advantage of AWD is reduced on a prepped track and the effect of weight becomes more evident. Differing states of charge would also be interesting.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes,of course but very interested to see the performance difference when the advantage of AWD is reduced on a prepped track and the effect of weight becomes more evident. Differing states of charge would also be interesting.
from what I understand the SF90 charges so fast it’s really a non issue. I’d be curious to see a roll race from 50 mph to 150 mph. My suspicion is they’d be neck and neck or the 765 slightly ahead. These cars are really close however in straight ahead performance which is funny because they’re so different in their approach to getting there.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
why? wouldnt a road time be more relevant than a dragstrip?
Road time (video) or dragstrip isn't real world.

Real world is a person who has been driving on the highway and someone else comes upto you and wants to do a short pull for a few seconds (you would have been driving for some time, the tires would be more up to temps and it would be a roll race for a few seconds).

People do not get good times on an airstrip because the car's tires are cold. It would be similar to pulling out of ones home driveway with the tires cold and doing a launch.

Brooks (dragtimes) gets better dragstrip times because they warm up the tires on the race track beside the drag strip and immediately go to the drag strip. (no starting/stopping your car 30 times to move up in line and waiting for your turn).

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,728 Posts
The dragstrip was wet/cold, and the driver commented he was fighting to get traction. I never understood tests in crap weather. Top Gear would do this all the time. Because yea, so many hypercar drivers go around a track full on in the rain. :rolleyes: Ummm, why not wait till there is good weather, and shoot the damn video then?

It's an idiotic waste of time.

I suspect it would be much closer in dry/good conditions.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The dragstrip was wet/cold, and the driver commented he was fighting to get traction. I never understood tests in crap weather. Top Gear would do this all the time. Because yea, so many hypercar drivers go around a track full on in the rain. :rolleyes: Ummm, why not wait till there is good weather, and shoot the damn video then?

Content my man. Can't wait for the summer when views can be had now. I'm really impressed the SF90 ran a 9.6 in those conditions. My Turbo S would struggle to run sub 2.7 0-100 km/h and he's getting sub 2.5. Extremely impressive.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

almost all of these youtube videos/tests are owners bringing their own cars or supplying them to the youtube guys...

It's not so easy for youtube personalities to do these tests otherwise. Most of the tests that we see are for entertainment value then anything else. (many people don't understand this and will argue/discuss the restuls to death).

·
Registered
693 Posts
almost all of these youtube videos/tests are owners bringing their own cars or supplying them to the youtube guys...

It's not so easy for youtube personalities to do these tests otherwise. Most of the tests that we see are for entertainment value then anything else. (many people don't understand this and will argue/discuss the restuls to death).
Agreed. It's not that serious.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts

It is entertaining - joke when was the first car race - when the second car was built.
As long as both are in the same conditions - it's fair game.

·
Registered
187 Posts
why? wouldnt a road time be more relevant than a dragstrip?
What kind of road, unrestricteg german autobahn 765lt vs Sf90, rolling out from 120kph / 70mph up to 310kmh/190mph the 765lt is constantly pulling up to about 3 cars length. both my cars, BUT if the temps are to cooled, if the 765lt has traction problems still around 120-140kph (70-80mph) the sf90 gets in the lead and is just overtaken in the higher speeds..

so it depends what kind of roads and what kind of speed.
In ideal condtiton the 765lt has more acceleration, above 100kph/62mph but in 90% on public roads on low speed the sf90 wins. This are my own experience with the 2 cars.

·
Registered
187 Posts
from what I understand the SF90 charges so fast it’s really a non issue. I’d be curious to see a roll race from 50 mph to 150 mph. My suspicion is they’d be neck and neck or the 765 slightly ahead. These cars are really close however in straight ahead performance which is funny because they’re so different in their approach to getting there.
you are spot on. done that up to 190mph the 765 lt leads by about 3 car length.
you can also see the trap speed of the 765lt is on ideal condition around 150-151mph were the sf90 is around 147-148mph.
But the sf90 is way more consistent and surface is never an issue..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Is this result really surprising anybody? This was filmed in southern Germany at this time of the year and they were commenting on how freezingly cold it was. This is where AWD shines. So the SF90 is quicker from a standstill on cold tires in a freezingly cold tarmac.
pretty pointless battle…
like drag racing in general then. You owe me 10s car as vin diesel said in some movie a long time ago.. if that is what you want pretty sure you can accomplish that for significantly less ;)

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Is this result really surprising anybody? This was filmed in southern Germany at this time of the year and they were commenting on how freezingly cold it was. This is where AWD shines. So the SF90 is quicker from a standstill on cold tires in a freezingly cold tarmac.
pretty pointless battle…
SF90 is fast in the cold and much stiffer than F8.
Drive a lot of windy roads and wonder with the different forms of power how well the systems work together when pushed hard.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The hybrid system really helps in those conditions. Makes me excited about the the 720s successor. Personally I would always prefer the lightness of the 765lt vs an SF90 with more power but 600 pounds more weight which I read you can really feel in the SF90. And then again, if you take a Tesla S plaid it will beat almost everything atm on the drag strip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts