McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2017 570s as well as the extended warranty. I was told that i could put an exhaust on but downpipes would void the warranty. is that because of the tune or do you guys have any insight on this? It seems like the car sounds incredibly better with downpipes so i would rather go that route.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 570s as well as the extended warranty. I was told that i could put an exhaust on but downpipes would void the warranty. is that because of the tune or do you guys have any insight on this? It seems like the car sounds incredibly better with downpipes so i would rather go that route.
Downpipes increase hp/trq and will void the warranty with or without a tune . End of story... sorry

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not just McLaren.
Of course it's not just McLaren but it seems that McLaren will go out if it's way to check for any thing not original so that they can void warranty. Of course you can fight this in court but who has time to pursue this. I would rather own one that the manufacturer has a reputation for supporting their customers after spending 1/4 million dollars. Like I've said in the past, I love the car but will not own one without a warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just sold my 570 with downpipes and was told by my dealer no issues with warranty but mostly because they would help me out if any issues arrived. It did need minor work like radiator and intake gaskets but all was covered. There is no cel with downpipes so not sure why it couldn’t be covered.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
There is no cel with downpipes so not sure why it couldn’t be covered.
It's very simple - they change the characteristics of the exhaust to a point where they take the engine outside of its design parameters. Some are known to cause nasty boost spikes.

Regardless, McLaren are very clear that they will only cover systems that are as they designed them. It is unreasonable to expect them to cover modifications that they didn't design for, or approve.

The dealer should have their franchise removed for stating that they will help defraud McLaren.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Of course it's not just McLaren but it seems that McLaren will go out if it's way to check for any thing not original so that they can void warranty. Of course you can fight this in court but who has time to pursue this.
You would lose. You can only use parts that are of the same design. No manufacturer can be obliged to warrant systems that have been modified from how they designed them. However, only the warranty on modified systems (and ones they impact) should be cancelled.

As an extreme example, would you expect the car to be covered if you decided to drive it with a wheel removed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's very simple - they change the characteristics of the exhaust to a point where they take the engine outside of its design parameters. Some are known to cause nasty boost spikes.

Regardless, McLaren are very clear that they will only cover systems that are as they designed them. It is unreasonable to expect them to cover modifications that they didn't design for, or approve.

The dealer should have their franchise removed for stating that they will help defraud McLaren.

They sold and installed and made a profit, they will warranty. end of story. Do you think I'm the only client that has aftermarket? I get it if its tuned and full on exhaust but give me a break. Downpipes just help the car breath better.

·
Registered
271 Posts
They sold and installed and made a profit, they will warranty. end of story. Do you think I'm the only client that has aftermarket? I get it if its tuned and full on exhaust but give me a break. Downpipes just help the car breath better.

You are so out to lunch and 1000% wrong

On my first McLean I did exactly what you are saying and I even bought Velocity AP downpipes through the dealer and they installed them after saying they would make sure they helped me if anything g happened and cause I did it there it wouldn't void my warranty .

Then 8 months later I started to have transmission issues and when I told them the same guy who was the head of service said sorry man I can't help you . We can't warranty the transmission cause we have to send all the data to Head office and they will see the mods and deny it .

So if you believe you can modify a mclaren even with the dealer and keep warranty you are a fool a d I have somethings to sell you over here ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are so out to lunch and 1000% wrong

On my first McLean I did exactly what you are saying and I even bought Velocity AP downpipes through the dealer and they installed them after saying they would make sure they helped me if anything g happened and cause I did it there it wouldn't void my warranty .

Then 8 months later I started to have transmission issues and when I told them the same guy who was the head of service said sorry man I can't help you . We can't warranty the transmission cause we have to send all the data to Head office and they will see the mods and deny it .

So if you believe you can modify a mclaren even with the dealer and keep warranty you are a fool a d I have somethings to sell you over here ...
I enjoyed the downpipes and had other issues like leaking rad and there was no discussion about mods.
I suppose if it’s engine or trans issues maybe that’s another story.
end of day if dealer tells you one thing and do another then that isn’t cool

·
Registered
43 Posts
Obviously this is coming from a guy who takes his car to a dealer to fill his windshield washer fluid. For those of us that mechanic and have two post lifts in our home garages and understand the limits of what mods can be done the McLaren rules are over reaching. Voiding warranty for a radiator problem because you simply have an aftermarket muffler is insane!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Obviously this is coming from a guy who takes his car to a dealer to fill his windshield washer fluid. For those of us that mechanic and have two post lifts in our home garages and understand the limits of what mods can be done the McLaren rules are over reaching. Voiding warranty for a radiator problem because you simply have an aftermarket muffler is insane!
Car forums and specifically this one are full of the DIY, I modify as I like and cut the dealer out of things.... That is not anywhere near how it works in the real world. Many were quite vocal about various laws/lregulations and how they could modify as they wish..... Pretty much All of them fell flat on their faces when push came to shove. You don't see many people bragging about modifications on this forum anymore.

People with very limited ownership history, limited touches with dealers and non existent dealings with manufacture, tend to say all types of things on car forums (especially this one).

fwiw; Porsche isn't any different with modifications. So many service advisors/mechanics chimed in with track warranty, engine failures, etc., and said that porsche will cover it almost everytime UNLESS modifications were made to the car.

Reactions: ksp and rnixon

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The fact is that if it makes more power, there is more stress on the engine, transmission, and cooling system. It's up to McLaren to decide what they guarantee, not you.

I'm not sure how owning a two post lift qualifies you to redesign a car. I doubt that's how McLaren select their Engineers.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You seem to be confusing McLaren, the manufacturer, with a McLaren dealership. They are not the same entity.

It is not up to you to decide what McLaren will cover.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yea mclaren dealers have no say.

Mclaren head office goes as far as to search Social media for modded cars and tie them to their owners and flag the cars as warranty voided even if you have never gone to the dealer and they didn't even know about your mods .

That's what happened to me on my 720s . Got a call that my car had been flagged by mclaren and the dealer wasn't allowed to even look at it for anything ... juat crazy how far they go .

Lamborghini on the other hand replaced a blown motor for me even tho it was tuned with exhaust and Intake system .

They actually took the time to diagnose what happened and determined it was not caused by any mods and happily replaced the motor .

·
Registered
43 Posts
The fact is that if it makes more power, there is more stress on the engine, transmission, and cooling system. It's up to McLaren to decide what they guarantee, not you.

I'm not sure how owning a two post lift qualifies you to redesign a car. I doubt that's how McLaren select their Engineers.
It simply means that you are willing to learn to do some maintenance and don't mind investing in some tools to make it easier for you. It's funny that the simple fact is a lot of exotic car owners don't know how to change a tire. And that's ok! But those usually are the people who ridicule you for doing your own maintenance or simple mods to your car. Now I wouldn't do an engine overhaul but I have changed a clutch on my Lamborghini.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It simply means that you are willing to learn to do some maintenance and don't mind investing in some tools to make it easier for you. It's funny that the simple fact is a lot of exotic car owners don't know how to change a tire. And that's ok! But those usually are the people who ridicule you for doing your own maintenance or simple mods to your car. Now I wouldn't do an engine overhaul but I have changed a clutch on my Lamborghini.
Here I'm putting on a race exhaust on my Huracan. So satisfying being able to do it myself 😉
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

1 - 20 of 22 Posts