McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are people paying for the install of a set of aftermarket downpipes? Anyone been able to diy it?

Thanks!

·
Sponsor
1,563 Posts
Have you already purchased the downpipes? If not, let's chat. I may be able to link you up with one of my dealers out in the LA area who can get you a great deal on the hardware and hook you up on the install side of things.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Have spoken to one user here...

Telling me he had done this DIY...takes him around 6 hours and everything could be done from a above.
So if u have exeperience in working on cars and the right tools, is should be no problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1) Jack up rear of car, remove wheels, remove both fender liners
2) Tape up the leading edge of the engine covers
3) Remove bolts for engine side covers (coupe) pull coolant tank forward and remove side covers
4) Remove allens for air brake unclip electrical connector and remove
5) Remove 4 bolts for armadillo (2 on each side) cover and remove
6) Disconnect o2 sensors from the wheel well (two on each side). Label each one and then remove from downpipe
7) Remove ball/socket exhaust clamp and brackets from exhaust and remove
8) Remove heat shield from downpipes. Upper from the top and lower from the wheel well
9) Remove v-band clamp from downpipe to turbos. Carefully rotate downpipe out of the car from the top. Make sure not to damage gasket
10) Reinstall in reverse order.

AWE Guide:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/installation_instructions_mclaren_mp412c_cats_exhaust.pdf

Note about reinstall of v-band orientation:

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
If the shop knows what they are doing, then it doesn't take anywhere near 6 or 10 hours to do this. The shops are charging wayyy too much. The biggest pain is putting on the heat shields and that stupid fake vband clamp pictured above.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Have spoken to one user here...

Telling me he had done this DIY...takes him around 6 hours and everything could be done from a above.
So if u have exeperience in working on cars and the right tools, is should be no problem.
Good to hear I have torn out my entire drive train in my C6 z06 man times on jackstands so definitely sounds like won't be an issue then thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.