McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got in my Soul performance downpipes and Weistec VTA adaptors. The local shop here (Excell in Boca Raton, FL) wants to charge about $2200 in labor to install them. I was considering just attempting the install myself in my garage. I ready a brief description on here explaining the process, but wanted some input from others regarding whether or not this is something I can do myself. I'm very mechanically inclined, I've fixed almost everything on normal cars and on my MP4 I have only done the air filters and the headlight restore myself so far.

Any advice, pointers, would be welcome, thanks guys!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can definitely do this yourself . It was about a five hour job for me. The removal of the stock downpipes is the difficult part. I had to slightly deform the driver's side heat shield with a hammer in order to remove it. I also highly recommend looking at Voodoo Design and Engineering's downpipes and exhaust. I have their downpipes and custom exhaust on my 650S .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hammer part sounds scary lol....any special tools required? also still trying to figure out how to get the rear on jack stands considering we are only supposed to jack up from the rear...

·
Registered
46 Posts
No special tools required, can get it done with basic hand tools (multiple ratchet extensions). Not really scary I just could not get the downpipe heat shield to clear the frame for removal from the top of the car, so I had to re-shape it with a hammer. There are 4 jack points for McLarens . 2 front and 2 rear. You can only jack the car up using those locations. otherwise you risk damaging the carbon tub. They are marked by green stickers on the underside of the car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did mine in my garage. Took some time getting the heat shields off for sure. Also had to get a hand from somebody when installing the clamp onto the new downpipe. Needed them to hold the downpipe in the correct spot while I installed the clamp on both sides. About 6 hours. I took my time. I use a quickjack so I had the car about 1’ off the ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for the advice...so can I jack the car up from the front high enough to get a jack stand on the rear jack point? I was going to do the install over a few days while my ECU is being sent to M-engineering, that way I can take my time and not rush anything. Would you guys recommend wrapping the downpipes? Or should I just reuse the factory heat shields?

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it were me, I'd jack it right next to the green markers and place the jack stands where the markers are.

My tech said that occasionally someone would forget to put one arm of the lift in place, but wouldn't notice because the car is so stiff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Someone else in another thread mentioned having seen it jacked in the center. There's that white plastic bubble thing there, but that's not a jack point marker.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am not liable for action taken from this comment.

I'm under the understanding that the green dots are for lift points and also double as a reminder for where to jack. The bottom is so flat and easy that you could also shim with a plank and lift from more locations.

2012 MP4-12C
1,374 Posts
You can actually jack anywhere on the tub. Information from a factory trained McLaren master tech.
You will put a hole in the tub if you do that. They lied about who they were or they've since been fired.

Yes you can install those yourself. You don't have to take a hammer to the heat shields you can remove the heat shields they are in two pieces. You have to remove the bottom section on the passenger side but both on the driver side. Or alternatively you may find that those bolts are rusted and difficult to get off and you can take the intercoolers loose to make room for them to come right out. You don't have to disconnect any hoses you can simply take the four bolts out that hold it to the mounts and it will move enough to get the downpipes out the top end. I also recommend not completely removing the clamps on the turbos but taking the boat loose and splitting it in half and moving it to loosen it up then sliding the downpipe out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EMF any advice regarding how to get the rear on jack stands? Also should I heat wrap anything or just reuse factory heat shields?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
lift the car using the side central lift point,place jackstands and repeat on other side.
reuse the oem heat shields on soul pipes otherwise you will cook anything close by!

2012 MP4-12C
1,374 Posts
EMF any advice regarding how to get the rear on jack stands? Also should I heat wrap anything or just reuse factory heat shields?
There are a few ways. There is a spot in the rear of the car by the diffusers you can lift at, or use another spot on the side, or get a fancy jack like I have that allows a jackstand to be inserted. If you can reuse the heat shields, do it. If you can't definitely use a wrap. Both wouldn't hurt either. Mine are coated in a heat protective material so that could be used as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the advice is very much appreciated. Any pictures of this central jack point or jack point near rear diffuser? I’m super paranoid about putting a hole in the tub and I want to get this right. EMF my jack is definitely not as cool as yours unfortunately lol.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Look under car midpoint under rear edge of door. There is a little bump.jack goes There.
Don’t confuse with the bumps (4 on each sides) that are for the seat bolts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts