McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic came across when I was reading the Sports Auto Supertest on the Ferrari 458. In Sports Auto Supertest, one of the testing criteria is the car's downforce (or lift). Sports Auto supertest uses Mercedes static wind tunnel to perform this test at 200km/h (or 124mph). In the case of the Ferrari 458, the downforce shown was shockingly low. It had 32kg of **gasp** LIFT in the front and 31kg of downforce in the rear. This result is very far off from Ferrari's own claim of 140kg of downforce at 200km/h and 360kg at 300km/h.

So I got curious and went onto Sport Auto's online database to look at the 12C and other cars:

The Mclaren did ok and it showed that Mclaren does not lie when it comes to their factory numbers. Mclaren claims that the MP4-12C produces 120kg of downforce at 186mph. Sports Auto supertest showed a 2kg of downforce in the front and 62kg of downforce in the rear at 200km/h. Using Square's law, the 12C will produce 120kg of downforce at approximately 272.27km/h (or 170.17mph), based on Sports Auto's number at 200km/h.

Other notables were:

Lamborghini Aventador 28kg of lift (Front) and 73kg of downforce (Rear)
Porsche GT3RS (997 MK2) 2kg of lift (Front) and 10kg of downforce (Rear)
Mercedes SLS AMG 41kg of lift (Front) and 8kg of downforce (Rear)

After seeing these data, I guess producing any type of downforce over the front wheels is quite a challenge for auto makers! :confused:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The new MSO front bumper produces and extra 100kg of down force on the front, so I am told. It certainly feels like it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The fact that most supercars actually produces lift scares me.
No more flat-out over the crest on the Döttinger Höhe straight at the Nürburgring...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Can anyone verify the MSO front bumpers extra downforce?
I haven't seen any official quotes,it does produce a lot more,but if you are going to spend the extra money then the McLaren dealership will get the info im sure,if not call the MTC direct,they are very accomadating and will find you the answer :)
Any one else have anything on paper????

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I was told a lot of design work regarding wind testing went into the MSO front end. It may be a spin off from the 10 HS cars. I can only speak from experience. On the standard bumper with the rear wing engaged the front end does get a little light at speed. Although I have to say, I only noticed this after driving a car with the MSO front, the whole car feels more stable at speed, in particular under braking from speed .

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I have to admit, 100kg in the front from the mso bumper sounds a lot. Had a good look at McDc's car and the mso car at Cliveden and the mso bumper does not sit any lower than the standard car. The front lip extension is not especially pronounced and would not be something that significantly increased the overall underfloor length either. Have not driven one though so that is just from observation.

·
Owner
166 Posts
I've been told there will be a down force GT3 type body kit coming out soon. App the MSO front bumper is noticeable, but I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Ref HS Front, it may look better, but you can not buy a HS front end. The owner of the cars owns the IP rights, The MSO is a spin of from that I understand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
MSO Front Bumper in SF

Lots of really nice, high-res photos on the McLaren SF Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/

I'm guessing that it really is pretty damn effective given the horizontal surface area on that front lip. And did anyone else notice the CF mirror arms? Oh, my.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
This topic came across when I was reading the Sports Auto Supertest on the Ferrari 458. In Sports Auto Supertest, one of the testing criteria is the car's downforce (or lift). Sports Auto supertest uses Mercedes static wind tunnel to perform this test at 200km/h (or 124mph). In the case of the Ferrari 458, the downforce shown was shockingly low. It had 32kg of **gasp** LIFT in the front and 31kg of downforce in the rear. This result is very far off from Ferrari's own claim of 140kg of downforce at 200km/h and 360kg at 300km/h.
! :confused:

Ferrari's numbers were probably just for the rear wing itself, not the car as a whole.

Ferrari.....lol.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You can buy them aftermarket. Look about the same as far as I can tell.
Yes you can buy aftermarket, but then you have to be concerned about the whole fit and finish scenario. On top of which your car will most likely maintain a higher value with MSO components over these aftermarket counterparts. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can buy them aftermarket. Look about the same as far as I can tell.
The aftermarket versions only focus on external visual looks and appeal, they sadly do not focus on the aerodynamic aspects in its entirety. They often lack the necessary components and parts required for the intended objective performance that are somewhat hidden from just a casual glance.:rolleyes:...all show and no go:(

FWIW the OP has posted, most other comparable cars exhibit abeit more aggressive features that seem to suggest 'downforce' as compared to the simple and fluid 'design by science' of the McLaren;) ... truly a 'form follows function' discipline towards achieving its objectives.:p

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Yes you can buy aftermarket, but then the have to be concerned about the whole fit and finish scenario. On top of which your car will most likely maintain a higher value with MSO components over these aftermarket counterparts. Cheers.....����
It's just a bumper. If you keep the original, no harm done. I haven't heard of any major fit/finish issues with the Revosport one. The gaps that I saw in one members OEM version didn't exactly have the greatest fit -- some pretty big gaps. It's almost impossible to get the same fit once it leaves the factory.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The aftermarket versions only focus on external visual looks and appeal, they sadly do not focus on the aerodynamic aspects in its entirety. They often lack the necessary components and parts required for the intended objective performance that are somewhat hidden from just a casual glance.:rolleyes:...all show and no go:(

FWIW the OP has posted, most other comparable cars exhibit abeit more aggressive features that seem to suggest 'downforce' as compared to the simple and fluid 'design by science' of the McLaren;) ... truly a 'form follows function' discipline towards achieving its objectives.:p
What is missing from one of the aftermarket HS bumpers vs the original? Looks identical to me. I doubt there is anything hidden that compromises it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The 458 nose/bumper is quite high - the distance from the lower bumper to the ground, obviously accelerating will lift the nose up even more, a lot of air can travel underneath the car and generate a lot of lift, its always best to have the nose as low as it can to the ground, but it will prove impractical in every day use, however in real life the 458s front end is surprisingly high, also those front aero splitter things doesn't actually do anything to generate any substancial or useful downforce.

adding front fender louvres might help ease the air pressure built up within the wheel wells, having the car set up with the nose lower to the ground, with slight rake towards the back will help with the downforce providing the 12 has a completely flat underbody, other than that get mso to develop a P1 style bonnet for the 12c, that will help with downforce for the front. Aerodynamics are a tricky part, change something you'll likely compromise something else.

In my opinion just by looking at the MSO HS bumper I don't see how it can generate that much more downforce over its standard part, the bumper is essentially the same with a different insert and a lower splitter attached to it, the splitter is the only thing I can see on it that would actually do something and make any real life difference, thats if you're driving it hard and providing that splitter is also flat underneath, - I also noticed the HS bumper has a slight rake on its air intake section, the lower surface, providing theres nothing behind the bumper or not much blocking the air flow, the downforce could be improved along with adding louvres to relieve the air pressure within the wheel well/arches

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What is missing from one of the aftermarket HS bumpers vs the original? Looks identical to me. I doubt there is anything hidden that compromises it.
I would recommend doing some research noone1 on the Revozport bumper, there is some cutting and modifying required when installing this item. Don't get me wrong I don't mind modifying as long as it can be reversed to the original, which from my understanding is not the case with this product. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If designed properly, the splitter will create a better quality of flow to the rear diffuser as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts