McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sun is out so thought I'd take the car out after a few weeks grounded. Gave the drivers door the usual smart tug to close it and it simply won't close - as if the latch is broken or something like that? Anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The sun is out so thought I'd take the car out after a few weeks grounded. Gave the drivers door the usual smart tug to close it and it simply won't close - as if the latch is broken or something like that? Anyone experienced this?
From the sounds of it, you need to have your door latch replaced. Unfortunately you will need to bring your car in for service. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, is booked in for service and upgrade in couple of weeks so will try to bring that forward.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Happened to me a few months ago, they'll change the latches

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Happend to my valeter ,he was so worried,but i also knew there was a service campaign,i think they are changing everyones locks apart from the last few cars in production,so i still paid him;)

·
Owner
893 Posts
Andy c,
With this topic in mind ...... I wonder what is considered "the last few cars in production" ?
Mine is an early 2013 car; Do you think they rectified the latch situation by the time of my car's build (~ mid Sept.) ??
I certainly would not relish a 'door latch failure' whilst driving at higher speeds ! That could be very dicey.:eek:

·
Owner
893 Posts
What would you expect ? The doors opening all alone at a higher speed, against the laws of physics ? :D
lol ;) .....
With a malfunctioning door latch, there's lots of things I might expect (with these dihedral doors) .......Considering the kinematics of a high speed braking event ? :D:D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy c,
With this topic in mind ...... I wonder what is considered "the last few cars in production" ?
Mine is an early 2013 car; Do you think they rectified the latch situation by the time of my car's build (~ mid Sept.) ??
I certainly would not relish a 'door latch failure' whilst driving at higher speeds ! That could be very dicey.:eek:
I think that includes you!! but all the failures i know about are not when the door is closed,just when you are trying to close it it wont shut and bounces off the staple,but its a service campaign ,so its not dangerous ,just a pain when it happens to the small percentage of cars that have had it:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Is that a typo and should be your valet :D

Those shoes won't clean themselves!
well its a typo because of my hopeless english (originally french from the 16th century im told),thats my excuss,we are slow learners up here in the north;)
No valet,but ive trained the whippet to lick them clean :)

·
Owner
893 Posts
I think that includes you!! but all the failures i know about are not when the door is closed,just when you are trying to close it it wont shut and bounces off the staple,but its a service campaign ,so its not dangerous ,just a pain when it happens to the small percentage of cars that have had it:)
Since McLaren is a small manufacturer, I wonder if their dealerships would change the customers' latch or any other known item that has been failing, solely as a matter of course (proaction), or would they just wait for 'said occasional item' to crap out, and then make the replacement?
Once, when my Lamborghini was in for a routine oil service, the dealership performed a number of service campaigns that I had no idea even existed.:)
Also: Door slamming ...... Just how hard is too hard? Slamming, that is.:D:D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Since McLaren is a small manufacturer, I wonder if their dealerships would change the customers' latch or any other known item that has been failing, solely as a matter of course (proaction), or would they just wait for 'said occasional item' to crap out, and then make the replacement?
Once, when my Lamborghini was in for a routine oil service, the dealership performed a number of service campaigns that I had no idea even existed.:)
Also: Door slamming ...... Just how hard is too hard? Slamming, that is.:D:D
Thats what a service campaign is! most customers have no idea it has ever happened,unless it is a danger and makes worldwide news, so it just gets done at normal service intervals ,i guess its only because of forums that is becomes common knowledge to a specific brand.As for slamming,im sure they design it in for the heavy handed:)
So what you are saying is correct service campaigns are totally proactive.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
At the risk of repetition. My cars door hardware was recently changed and it has transformed the closing force, now low, and predictable.

Tennis elbow now banished.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts