McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I've tried the search and couldn't come up with any matching results.

I am heavily considering the 12C spider but I have a few questions for 12C owners that I'd like to ask. The only problem I am worried about is the fact that it has butterfly-doors. Don't get me wrong, I love the doors but this car will definitely be my daily driver. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had problem with someone else parking too close to you or you had to choose another spot to park in because you couldn't open your door wide enough to hop in/out. This would be incredibly inconvenient because you would either need to park somewhere else or wait for that someone to finish whatever they were doing and move their car.

Now I understand that even normal doors will sometimes have this problem. So I'm just concerned if it happens much more often or not.

Thank-you for your time,

Chris

·
Smitten
285 Posts
In the main, no problems - particularly if you're careful where you park. Worse case, open them really slowly till they rest and then get your shimmy on!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Doors allow close proximity parking with no problem. If you want to learn how to limbo dance, get a Ford GT, park it close to another car and try to get out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you for the picture (beautiful car, by the way), really helps.

Didn't know they had a resting point between being fully open. A big relief because I was thinking that I might need to hold door midway and try to get in at the same time.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
No resting point mid-way just meant rest them against the wall or whatever you're closest too (always knew that micro-fibre cloth would come in handy as a pad... :))

If you want to enforce a no-touching rule, it is entirely possible to enter/exit whilst holding the door. It's quite a well balanced mechanism so doesn't require much effort.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes Tex, the FGT is the single hardest car to get in and out of. I would look for spots next to the handicapped spots so I could swing open those doors. The 458 also swings wide enough that most parking spaces could result in the door dance.

Actually I think the 12C's dihedral doors take up less real estate than regular doors on opening. In any event, I always try to park far enough away as to not attract close-parkers. Many times to no avail as I would return to find a BMW parked hard by the 12C with many, many hundreds of spots open all around. It may just be that it seems like it's always a BMW. ?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I thought it would be snug in my garage, but I actually think it had more room than my R8, so who knows. I'm guessing it's a little tighter actually, but in the case you'd get stuck, you'd be parking in a very snug spot to begin with.

I guess you could get screwed if someone parked next to you too close, but that happening on both sides would seem unlikely.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your help.

Looks like I will be getting the 12C with no concerns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have car door marks on my garage wall from both a 911 and a 430 but the 12C does not touch the wall at all. It is a better fit with doors wide open. I would not expect any trouble.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Doors allow close proximity parking with no problem. If you want to learn how to limbo dance, get a Ford GT, park it close to another car and try to get out!
Too true. I always a-hole parked in 2 spots in the very back of the lot. Or I wound up crawling on hands an knees... One of the most beautiful cars I've ever owned. BTW, I think that may have been you I saw in the B/W FGT at the MSR track day several months ago when Gren was giving me my first hit for free...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts