McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard that the door button on the newer models can be deleted out as an additional option to look like the 2012? Heard it from someone at an event about this. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The button is mandatory for all 2013 models. This is not an option. This was a solution and the button is quite small and discrete.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The button is mandatory for all 2013 models. This is not an option. This was a solution and the button is quite small and discrete.
Matter of opinion,sorry,i think it looks tacky and cheap,a bit like an after thought.Maybe MSO might be able to pick up some old stock to retrofit the swipe ???

·
Registered
359 Posts
Matter of opinion,sorry,i think it looks tacky and cheap,a bit like an after thought.Maybe MSO might be able to pick up some old stock to retrofit the swipe ???
Agreed, but won't there be a hole in the door if you retrofit?:confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
although the swipe looks cool, for practical purposes, i'd really rather have a button to make opening the door easier especially for passengers who are not used to the swipe.

·
Future Owner
63 Posts
I dsiliked the swipe at first, but have got used to it (it appeared to get easier after it went in for upgarde 9?) It's only troublesome when the car is wet (not uncommon in the UK) but then I use the key. I suppose it's one of those quirks that gives a car character and so I would rather have it than not ( a contrary view to the one I had soon after purchase)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Swipe is perfect , mine works every time so I just don't get it . You can open with button anyway so it was a big mistake to put those horrid rubber things in the door IMHO .

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Swipe is perfect , mine works every time so I just don't get it . You can open with button anyway so it was a big mistake to put those horrid rubber things in the door IMHO .
Absolutely, nail on head time, well said.
I just don't get it, it's either press and hold remote button for passenger door or quick double tap for drivers. And you have to have the key with you anyway!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm the same and don't understand the woes of the swipe, especially as I tend to use the key anyhow.. both for driver and passenger..

More than happy to have the swipe rather than the TVR downgrade ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been told by McLaren Saudi Arabia that it's a regional option, and that 'we' will still be getting swipe doors.
I will double check, though.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I met a customer at the Beverly Hills reveal of the 12C Spider who has ordered his 2013 Spider with the swipe, deleting the button. Apparently he was the first to request it and they had to check if it could still be done. Eventually they got the A-Ok and it will be handled by MSO - I believe as a no-cost option.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Some additions/corrections to what I wrote there - yes, swipe is possible but not likely something McLaren will be promoting. Also despite the impression I got that it could be no-charge, there was actually some significant cost to have it done. In fact I think some of the carbon options would be cheaper.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Personally I love the swipe. I realize it doesn't work for everyone and if that's you I totally understand swipe delete. But swipe works for me, and for whatever reason on my car it works for nobody else. I had quite the humorous visit to the Ferrari dealer the other day, all the staff trying to swipe with minimal success. It's like the my own personal KIT. A supercar should be difficult to get into and come with a lot of instructions lol

·
Registered
862 Posts
Each car seems to have a "sweet spot" and it varies from car to car. Once you've found that sweet spot then it opens first time every time.

I tend to educate regular passengers on this sweet spot and simply just open the door for one off passengers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
This is why the first year models will always more desirable!!!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Each car seems to have a "sweet spot" and it varies from car to car. Once you've found that sweet spot then it opens first time every time.

I tend to educate regular passengers on this sweet spot and simply just open the door for one off passengers.
Thats why the are always female !! and anyone else is going to find it difficult to get a look in ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I prefer the swipe and yes there is a sweet spot. Also like the lock function. Friends love the swipe..

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I met a customer at the Beverly Hills reveal of the 12C Spider who has ordered his 2013 Spider with the swipe, deleting the button. Apparently he was the first to request it and they had to check if it could still be done. Eventually they got the A-Ok and it will be handled by MSO - I believe as a no-cost option.

>8^)
ER
id heard it was going to be possible. (probably at the same place and time that you did erik!) but glad that it is finally possible.. .

I for sure would order the swipe, particularly with the 'latest' software for opening the door from the keyfob anyway

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think the handswipe is totally awesome. It's one of my favorite features of the car.

Once you find that sweet spot, you don't even have to swipe. You can literally just touch it with your fingertip. Same for locking.

I don't mind the button - I don't think its appearance is any kind of issue - I just don't think it's nearly as cool as having a car that opens with a gesture.

·
Registered
313 Posts
yes the swipe and lock is great, and I will try to find the touch spot when my car comes back from upgrades and minor problems- was making a strange noise possibly from the petrol flap coming open and fluttering over 140mph at Snetterton. I discovered only recently that I could open and unlock the door with a swipe, also lock it, without the key present at all (it was in the house). I had assumed that I did not have to lock the car when out as no-one else could swipe their way in, but not so. Anyone else have experience of swipe without key?
Here is a photo of the car after tracking it at Snetterton (Ok I did a bit of off-roading at Hamilton bend). My wife says it looks better like this.
DSC01628.jpg

1 - 20 of 108 Posts