McLaren Life banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not sure if you did anything the tweeter removal but here are some more pics that might be helpful:

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks RBH, those pics do help. I haven't made any progress lately -- those two little silver screws seem to be the problem. I can't get to them from inside the tweeter housing, and can't get underneath the dash. Do you know if those two silver screw-type things secure the tweeter housing?

That's really what I need to know, b/c tugging on the housing, seems like something may break. I know I am trying to release the tweeter housing from that small plastic insert, the small piece with the two silver screw-type bolts sticking out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks RBH, those pics do help. I haven't made any progress lately -- those two little silver screws seem to be the problem. I can't get to them from inside the tweeter housing, and can't get underneath the dash. Do you know if those two silver screw-type things secure the tweeter housing?

That's really what I need to know, b/c tugging on the housing, seems like something may break. I know I am trying to release the tweeter housing from that small plastic insert, the small piece with the two silver screw-type bolts sticking out.
Looking at the base section McLaren 570S - Speaker Cover - P/N 13N1204CP it seems that the tweeter is secured from below. To get to it you may need to pry open P/N 13N1204CP The pictures I posted are from Dash Panel Dashboard Black Leather LHD Mclaren 570S 540C 2016-18 maybe try to call them and ask them to send you some more pics.

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, I sent them a message.
So they're parting out a 570 -- I looked through 7 pages of their parts on ebay, other car parts mixed in, but it's a gold mine for someone looking for 570 parts! Thanks again!

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
427 Posts
Had another idea today.

Are you anything of an audiophile? Or just have an ear for music?

Perhaps find a store that sells Bowers and Wilkins. Go in and listen to some of your favorite music in a proper acoustic environment on some of their even midrange speakers. Say in the range of $8,000 a pair.

High fidelity was a major hobby of mine decades past. The accuracy of B&W is very impressive. Their iconic “Nautilus“ tweeter sits atop most of their line.

Obviously I’m suggesting that you could develop a pride that this is a special part of your special British car, like I have.

Or if people ask just tell them it measures gravity waves. I do that too.

Reactions: markj

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Dealer removed the hideous ‘microphone ‘ tweeter while in for service. Can’t tell any difference in stereo system. Now just waiting for carbon fiber bits I ordered to find a cover for the small exposed part. You may commence a thrashing!
lol, you know that tweeter was probably worth at least 30hp...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just out of curiosity what did it cost to remove it by the dealer?

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
RBH, hmmmmmm, my car was shipped back and forth back to the Houston dealer, I didn't get my invoice yet. They acted like it was no big deal (but I think there's more plastic housing that I can remove if I pop off the speaker-looking cover --- I'll get to it in few days). 'Anyway, total 4th yr. service was $4500., I do know that, even though I don't have the itemization yet. The total price was a great deal, considering transport to and from Houston from central Louisiana, one scuffed rim fixed, headliner removed to fix sun visor, tweeter removed, windows tinted, all 4th yr. service requirements. As soon as I get the invoice, I'll check on that specific cost and post it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I’m guilty of ragging on you here for removing it, but can understand, it does look quite wierd to most folks. They dropped it for the 720.

But there is a real opportunity for self expression here. The heck with those carbon bits, here’s a classic

Reactions: markj and RBH

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just out of curiosity what did it cost to remove it by the dealer?
RBH, got the invoice, just $62.70 labor to remove.
Not sure how they did it though, I could never get it off myself.

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Good solution to small plastic protrusion. Popped up speaker cover and covered plastic piece with black foam piece! Didn’t snap cover back in place yet, waiting to try orange foam for color contrast. FYI, the plastic part I’m covering appears to be intricate part of inner dash and can’t be easily removed,so the foam cover appears to be the solution. Carbon fiber bits I found so far are too large and intrusive-looking on the dash. (Pic of my son , Sutton, born Thursday, included so that you cannot hate me for what I’ve done to my dashboard tweeter!)

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Congrats for your son. We expect a pic of him behind the wheel in about 5 years.

In the meantime, there’s no doubt others will prefer to remove their B&W tweeter as well. His Dad has paved the way for them.

I am a bit dissapointed though that the bobble hula girl did not find favor.

Reactions: markj

·
Registered
344 Posts
(y)(y) Congratulations on your new baby boy. He looks very handsome. Take tons of pictures/video and make a lot memories. They grow way too fast and next you know they will be asking for the keys to the car 😁

41 - 56 of 56 Posts