McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, I was afraid of that concept ....
I am hoping that the screw mechanism unscrews off of the tweeter housing.
But I need to get behind that plastic barrier to see if possible. On the McL tweeter I studied
for sale on ebaymotors, there were two holes there, so the screw mechanism can be removed -- just hoping it can be done from inside the tweeter housing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, I was afraid of that concept ....
I am hoping that the screw mechanism unscrews off of the tweeter housing.
But I need to get behind that plastic barrier to see if possible.
Just put everything back together, throw a towel over it and forget about it... ?

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well if it comes to getting under the dash, that's what I'll have to do -- just have to find an orange towel to match and accent!

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
427 Posts
Could always trade for a car without it.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
678 Posts
Markj,

I believe the secret lies in the plastic "base" the tweeter pod is mounted to. Have you tried to pull straight up on the tweeter pod?

You should use a small prying tool around the edge of the tweeter pod to help break the tension on the clips that hold it in place.

The clips that hold my center speaker cover (2012 12C) look like the picture below. they hold the cover in place with a lot of force, but they are only using pressure, so they will release (and allow you to remove the cover) once you apply enough force to overcome the tension used to secure the cover. Expect at least two clips (maybe three?) one per side of the round base plate the tweeter sits on.

Also you can use a wide tipped flat blade screw driver to help pop the cover off, but a plastic interior tool would help prevent any potential cosmetic damage to the soft plastic base plate you are removing. Maybe damage is not a concern if you intend to just cover the plastic base plate afterwards.

FWI! - Great news Markj, I just got the news that your blacklist has been removed! LOL

Good Luck with the surgery. Cant wait to seen the next round of pictures...

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welll I am glad to be back on the team! For a minute, I thought I'd have to trade my 570S and go back to Porsche!

I haven't tried to pull up on the tweeter housing; never thought of that, that the bolts/screws inside the housing might be secured by clips. So I will try that tonight when I get home -- thanks for the suggestion IMA2nr!

·
Owner
578 Posts
I can't imagine that the way a speaker looks is a cause for a problem. I am too busy clipping apexes and threshold braking to have a melt down about a speaker. For me...... I turn the radio on or answer the phone and it works and sounds good. End of story!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Instead of trying to remove it, what if you just decorated it?? :)

So how many people that don't like it sitting there have:
  • A cell phone attached to their dash/windshield
  • An easy pass stuck to the windshield
  • A dash cam mounted on the dash
  • A radar detector mounted to the dash/windshield
  • Fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror
  • All of the above
But are complaining about the tweeter!

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I have to admit I'm pretty picky about aesthetics -- my radar detector is hardwired and mounted via a blendmount, so very clean looking. No fuzzy dice!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks something like an airspeed measuring device, pitot static tube system.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let’s make up some story about measuring gravity waves or such.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
678 Posts
found these pics on FleaBay...

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ima2nr, I don't think that is the piece our tweeter housing (microphone looking object) is mounted to. I have seen that one on newer McLarens.
I did tug upward on the tweeter housing tonight, but was afraid to pull upward with too much force. But I was afraid to damage the flat dash speaker-piece that the tweeter housing (microphone) is attached to (the flat dash speaker looks somewhat like the pic you posted).

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
678 Posts
Ok, the pics above were for a 720S... Here is the 570S (same clip style). Just need to pull up while applying force with the prying tool.

Reactions: markj

·
Owner
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok thanks, that's it !!!!
The large hole at the front is a mystery -- actually can not see that with the tweeter housing sitting on top.
So will try to pry it up tonight and take some pics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dude….lol just leave it. The B&W sound system sounds amazing and without the center tweeter you'll loose some highs and overall depth. Throw a ball cap over it if you hate it that much.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts