McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Owner
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I’m gonna be blacklisted for this, but anyone know how to remove that small part of the stereo speaker system? The system is a huge improvement over my prior 12C, but I just don’t like the aesthetics of that little thing.
9EDBE8B7-56C6-4DCE-9D92-B3816C1064F2.jpeg

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
429 Posts
That is a trademark Bowers and Wilkins tweeter. Renowned and coveted. One of the most attractive design items of the entire car.

But life is too short to hate.

Reactions: markj

·
Registered
167 Posts
I imagine you would ruin the audio system sound quality if you remove that. If you do remove it I would make sure you can put it back or else you will find it a challenge selling the car in future.

·
Owner
495 Posts
BAAAAN! hahahah.

Remove it and send it to me - I will pay S&H. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd look into removing it and reconnecting plus mounting it somewhere out of sight to keep the functionality if possible. I agree, it is not a clean design to have a wrat on the dash.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
This issue is you'd likely need a new trim panel for the top there. Here's a car without it, and that bit over the central vents will probably have a hole in it if you remove it, as this one doesn't look like they have a trim piece that just hides it - it's just not there at all.

·
Owner
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, true. I have the alcantara dash, so I just assumed I could have an upholsterer fashion something small and nice.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Here's the exploded view from the parts catalog:

The catalog marks #16 as screws x 2, so it's just fixed from underneath with two screws. Unless someone else posts the exact process, I'll grab it next time I'm in the portal.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Owner
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Z. By coincidence, I found a McL tweeter for sale on ebay, and so I studied the pics, and just like the diagram, appears to have two holes for screws.
So anyway, I get the front cap off (pops off) and the small actual tweeter comes out (just enough play with wiring to hang the actual small tweeter outside the housing).

But then comes the problem. Some kind of plastic barrier before the screws -- and I can not get the plastic housing to come out ???? Let us know any more findings!!!! I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow when I get home.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
680 Posts
Markj... I regret to inform you you have been BLACK LISTED for publicly trying to remove your tweeter.

The good news is nobody hates you for hating that ugly tweeter thingy. (Disclaimer: You may still be hated for other things, just not this specific thing).

Good Luck to you, we all hope you get of that black list soon!

:)

Reactions: markj

·
Owner
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
  • Realizing I am blacklisted, but just in case some of you are have the secret desire to remove that tweeter that just doesn’t belong, here are pics of the problem:First pic is after cap removed. Second pic is little tweeter off to the side. Third pic is plastic barrier that I cannot remove. I have tugged it pretty hard, not budging. Any ideas ??

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
  • Realizing I am blacklisted, but just in case some of you are have the secret desire to remove that tweeter that just doesn’t belong, here are pics of the problem:First pic is after cap removed. Second pic is little tweeter off to the side. Third pic is plastic barrier that I cannot remove. I have tugged it pretty hard, not budging. Any ideas ??
If you look at the picture @zerokewl added the part #015 shows to have 2 extended section that is permanently attached. Part #016 are the fasteners which means the unit is being held from the bottom.

Here is one from a similar tweeter

1 - 20 of 56 Posts