McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 720s have a Blind Spot Monitoring system? If not, has anyone heard of a way to install one after market? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
no does not ... but not sure you need it, as the visibility is really good for a sports car... probably one of the best cars ever in that regard

·
Registered
191 Posts
It’s a Supercar. No blind spot assist, no auto braking, no lane assist, etc. Not sure any other supercar has them either. However the 720s has the best visibility of any car in its class

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does the 720s have a Blind Spot Monitoring system? If not, has anyone heard of a way to install one after market? Thanks.
If you set your mirrors correctly (left mirror set so that you can only see the side of the car by leaning your neck left almost to your shoulder, and right mirror leaning almost to right shoulder) there are no blind spots. You see a car behind you in rear view mirror, as it disappears you see it in side mirror, as it disappears you see it with peripheral vision. This is the same for any car on the road that has a functional rear view mirror and side mirrors. Every track driver knows this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you set your mirrors correctly (left mirror set so that you can only see the side of the car by leaning your neck left almost to your shoulder, and right mirror leaning almost to right shoulder) there are no blind spots. You see a car behind you in rear view mirror, as it disappears you see it in side mirror, as it disappears you see it with peripheral vision. This is the same for any car on the road that has a functional rear view mirror and side mirrors. Every track driver knows this.
This is the best advice, and something that a large percentage of drivers do wrong. There is actually no car that you should have a blind spot, if the mirrors are set correctly. I was fortunate enough to do the porsche driving school in 1990 (eons ago) when I first got into sports cars. This was one of the tips they showed us for track and road driving, and I know preach this very thing to my kids. So many people have their side mirrors angled where they can see the back of their own car - which is where you go wrong, as it creates the blind spot. The Porsche instructor said these words "The back side of your car doesn't move, so no need to see it - it won't go anywhere"...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Exactly what he said 👍

To many ppl always have their side mirrors still showing their car while viewing the side mirrors, totally wrong. You should not be able to see your car at all unless you lift up and lean over a bit.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This is the best advice, and something that a large percentage of drivers do wrong. There is actually no car that you should have a blind spot, if the mirrors are set correctly. I was fortunate enough to do the porsche driving school in 1990 (eons ago) when I first got into sports cars. This was one of the tips they showed us for track and road driving, and I know preach this very thing to my kids. So many people have their side mirrors angled where they can see the back of their own car - which is where you go wrong, as it creates the blind spot. The Porsche instructor said these words "The back side of your car doesn't move, so no need to see it - it won't go anywhere"...

not sure if that is true for all cars e.g Aventdor or earlier Ferraris like the Testarossa or BMW M1, which have small narrow windows and you sit very deep and have a lot of black spots in the back bc of the engine, coachwork etc... 911 of course had always good visibility... but it was already from the first generation onwards designed in that way with visibility in mind

·
Registered
6 Posts
One issue with this setup is that you cannot see fast approaching car in the adjacent lane if you are stuck in traffic with a vehicle immediately stopped behind you as your rear view is blocked. The setup works well on track but might not work that well on roads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
One issue with this setup is that you cannot see fast approaching car in the adjacent lane if you are stuck in traffic with a vehicle immediately stopped behind you as your rear view is blocked. The setup works well on track but might not work that well on roads.
Not really. The correct mirror setup works in all conditions. There is never a need to look in your side mirror and make sure the side of your car is still there (well, maybe after a wreck).

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have had this conversation plenty. Logic suggests that placing mirrors to see down the lanes out of sight of the car and practicing as we pass cars such that the reflection moves from side view to cabin mirror will do the trick. But I have nonetheless had cars just seem to materialize in that 3/4 rear area.

Maybe its more than just the differences in the geometries of the car, maybe the geometry of the observer contributes as well. Different heights, eyes and neck, whatever.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’ve been driving 50 years, my Dad had several car dealerships so I’ve had a bunch of chances to try adjusting mirrors on various cars. I really try to always turn my head and look no matter what.

Only vehicle I’ve had with BSM was our LC 500, it bristled with tech. Have to admit that I did get to trusting the system. But not absolutely.

Best system I have ever seen is on my current daily, a Honda Civic Si, 2015. Cost in the low $20s. A camera in the passenger side mirror, displayed on the main screen at touch of a button. All cars should have this. Especially mid engined.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Visibility in the 720S is great for a supercar but absence of all the high tech nannies keeps it from being a great daily driver. McLaren should also get a lot of credit for offering a pretty decent surround view camera.

I had a 2015, just traded in for a 2020 S63 Coupe which has everything... BSM, FLIR system, semi-autonomous driving, auto parking, etc. And it's fast and comfortable - can't beat it for a daily. New one is a real beast, much more of an AMG than the 2015 was, and sounds incredible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Visibility in the 720S is great for a supercar but absence of all the high tech nannies keeps it from being a great daily driver. McLaren should also get a lot of credit for offering a pretty decent surround view camera.

I had a 2015, just traded in for a 2020 S63 Coupe which has everything... BSM, FLIR system, semi-autonomous driving, auto parking, etc. And it's fast and comfortable - can't beat it for a daily. New one is a real beast, much more of an AMG than the 2015 was, and sounds incredible.
Thanks...Have you or anyone heard of installing one aftermarket? Is it even possible?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks...Have you or anyone heard of installing one aftermarket? Is it even possible?
No. It would be cost prohibitive with sourcing the radars. Maybe you could rig up camera system. But it’s just not needed in this car. There’s no issue with visibility in the 720. But then again I started driving before back up camera existed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts