• Yes, standard composite/models of tire are sub-par for the car

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
On this car I’m not sure, as I haven’t run them. Typically they have a narrow temp window and go away above that window completely, but again I’m not sure how much heat a rear engined car will put into the fronts yet. Typically there are better pure track options but it’s a great mixed use r compound tire. They are only acceptable at the strip with tc and lc. They will take the shock of launching well but if they spin they don’t tend to recover. A drag radial would be better at the strip, but again it’s a great compromise allowing you to drive to the track on the tire and drive home.

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,150 Posts
2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,150 Posts
Which may well make sense, depending on your latitude. I suspect other perspectives aren't your long suit though! 🤣
You're missing the point. The only fair comparison in anything is comparing comparables. It's wrong to say Cup 2's are garbage because they suck in snow. PS4S are an all season tire, they can get overheated but they can also operate at 50 degrees. They're a different category from track focus tires. The 720 I just bought has Cup 2's on it and I won't be getting those again and probably gone when PS4S's are available because I drive in rain and cold.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
You're missing the point. The only fair comparison in anything is comparing comparables. It's wrong to say Cup 2's are garbage because they suck in snow. PS4S are an all season tire, they can get overheated but they can also operate at 50 degrees. They're a different category from track focus tires. The 720 I just bought has Cup 2's on it and I won't be getting those again and probably gone when PS4S's are available because I drive in rain and cold.
No, I get the point. Like many Americans, you like to pigeon hole things. Everything is black or white. I think there's sufficient crossover between tire categories to make some viable comparisons.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
663 Posts
My points still stand. You can't compare track and non track tires in performance metrics.
Where did I compare track and non-track tires? I was simply stating the PS4S's aren't up to snuff when driven hard ON THE STREET for me, and on my car.... Plain and simple. This is a valid point and statement. Even more so as the general consensus here on the forum was touting them as the best performing street tire for the car that does not require a certain/higher heat level to perform well, at the time I was researching...

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Where did I compare track and non-track tires? I was simply stating the PS4S's aren't up to snuff when driven hard ON THE STREET for me, and on my car.... Plain and simple. This is a valid point and statement. Even more so as the general consensus here on the forum was touting them as the best performing street tire for the car that does not require a certain/higher heat level to perform well, at the time I was researching...
There-in lies the rub. The track is the track and streets are streets, but you can certainly drive like you are at the track on the streets (hopefully somewhere secluded), and vice versa. If they only made a magical tire that could perform at its peak no matter where you drove. Which begs the question, when does a tire become a "track" tire ? Does the R compound next to it magically bestow it this honor? I am only asking because I am confused.

Anyhow, I'm glad you were able to reach the limits of the PS4S, sounds like you must have been having a good time! :LOL:

I am looking for a next set of tires to replace my Trofeo R's, mainly "street" but hoping it can perform well-above its "street" category. And yeah, the Goodyear supercar 3's - (not the R compound) are on my list of ones to try, let me know how they work out for you. Thanks.

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,150 Posts
No, I get the point. Like many Americans, you like to pigeon hole things. Everything is black or white. I think there's sufficient crossover between tire categories to make some viable comparisons.
It's called being matter of fact. Facts are the things that are real information, not opinion. My facts are based on what the manufacturers classify their own tires as. I feel the manufacturer knows the tires better than anyone else.
You compared PS4S's in that other thread about tires from a while back where you said PS4S's were garbage and you couldn't understand why everyone recommends using them. But to recap what you just said is, PS4S's aren't up to snuff when you use them like a track tire. What you're saying is if you take a BMW Isetta and put it on the track, it's a track car and if you take an F1 car and put it on the street, it's a street car. The location doesn't determine the focus of the product.

Reactions: Roxind

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Ok, so I can see both sides here. I have used plenty of race tires on the street, and street tires on the track. If you are crazy (dumb?) enough, getting race tires up to temp on public roads is possible, for example when we used to do the “Long Island of Man” races I would run DOT race tires even though it was a highway run, because my average speed was north of 150mph. I would coach at NJMP on street tires, because I knew I could safely run beginner and even intermediate pace on them and they didn’t need tire warmers. Hell, I ran rain tires in the snow a few times when racing at Loudon.

I agree with Sean though, as comparing a track tire to a street tire is pretty pointless. The capabilities of them are so vastly different, that unless you are driving the speed limit, there will (should) be no similiarities between them. Ever try to run a track tire in the rain on oily roads? Definitely wouldn’t recommend that.

Can you make the comparison? Sure. But should you? No, not IMO.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You compared PS4S's in that other thread about tires from a while back where you said PS4S's were garbage and you couldn't understand why everyone recommends using them. But to recap what you just said is, PS4S's aren't up to snuff when you use them like a track tire. What you're saying is if you take a BMW Isetta and put it on the track, it's a track car and if you take an F1 car and put it on the street, it's a street car. The location doesn't determine the focus of the product.
The only other tire I compared them to were the OEM Corsa's that came on the car... So you are saying those are track tires? :rolleyes: Nowhere does McLaren state the car came with track tires...

On another note, VGJ said, "What makes a track tire a track tire".... Usually once the treadwear rating drops below 100 it is considered an Extreme Performance tire. But usually, it needs to get down to 50 or so to be considered Track ONLY.... The treadwear rating is loosely tied in as an "indicator" of how "grippy" the compound is in that tire....

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
The only other tire I compared them to were the OEM Corsa's that came on the car... So you are saying those are track tires? :rolleyes: Nowhere does McLaren state the car came with track tires...

On another note, VGJ said, "What makes a track tire a track tire".... Usually once the treadwear rating drops below 100 it is considered an Extreme Performance tire. But usually, it needs to get down to 50 or so to be considered Track ONLY.... The treadwear rating is loosely tied in as an "indicator" of how "grippy" the compound is in that tire....
Right. Comparing the extremes isn't very helpful, but there's a huge variety of choices in-between that blur the lines between the categories.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Right. Comparing the extremes isn't very helpful, but there's a huge variety of choices in-between that blur the lines between the categories.
So true! And what makes it really hard to find something that doesn't trip into the track side of things, requiring large amounts of heat to work well, yet can handle driving the car as it was meant to be used!

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,150 Posts

You've compared more than 1 tire. According to SCCA, a track tire is anything under 200 treadwear. That would make Cup 2's with a 180 treadwear and Corsa's with an 80 treadwear, track tires. According to Pirelli, the OEM tires that came on it are track tires.

Font Brand Rectangle Circle Graphics

Treadwear is an internal number with no industry standard so comparing treadwear between manufacturers isn't an exact science either, just a vague idea.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roxind

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
You've compared more than 1 tire. According to SCCA, a track tire is anything under 200 treadwear. That would make Cup 2's with a 180 treadwear and Corsa's with an 80 treadwear, track tires. According to Pirelli, the OEM tires that came on it are track tires.

View attachment 225317

Treadwear is an internal number with no industry standard so comparing treadwear between manufacturers isn't an exact science either, just a vague idea.
This all just proves that the track tire category is meaningless. The Corsa is less than 50% of the tread wear index of the 2S, and McLaren doesn't call them track tires either, since there's the Corsa R which presumably have an even lower tread wear index.

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,150 Posts
This all just proves that the track tire category is meaningless. The Corsa is less than 50% of the tread wear index of the 2S, and McLaren doesn't call them track tires either, since there's the Corsa R which presumably have an even lower tread wear index.
The company that makes the tires calls them track tires. McLaren also calls the 570's, 600LT, and 620r a sports car.

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,150 Posts
Yes all for marketing reasons.
Apple says they invented the MP3 player, and their operating system, and smart phones, for marketing reasons. It doesn't make any of it true but that's what's out there and understood and presented. Bottom line, the manufacturer calls it a track tire, a racing body calls it a track tire, it's a track tire.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Apple says they invented the MP3 player, and their operating system, and smart phones, for marketing reasons. It doesn't make any of it true but that's what's out there and understood and presented. Bottom line, the manufacturer calls it a track tire, a racing body calls it a track tire, it's a track tire.
Not really, it's just an arbitrary category. Just because it's in that category doesn't mean you can't also use it on the road, and compare its road use to other tires which are in the road category.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts