McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. Do you think McLaren offering complete retro-fits and upgrades on existing cars could potentially be more profitable and more likely than selling those people new ones?

I mean, option margins are massive and install labor is cold hard cash for dealers with no inventory cost. Would it be wise to offer, say, a $50K retro-fit to the latest model rather than hope people dump their current cars for new ones?

It's always a good thing to get more cars on the road, but when I see how much people are paying for fancy plastic (MSO bumper, I'm looking at you,) it makes me wonder if the retro-fit business model is quite a good one. Especially if a lot of the performance is just new programming. What's the margin on an ECU tune? 99.99999%?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Just a thought. Do you think McLaren offering complete retro-fits and upgrades on existing cars could potentially be more profitable and more likely than selling those people new ones?

I mean, option margins are massive and install labor is cold hard cash for dealers with no inventory cost. Would it be wise to offer, say, a $50K retro-fit to the latest model rather than hope people dump their current cars for new ones?

It's always a good thing to get more cars on the road, but when I see how much people are paying for fancy plastic (MSO bumper, I'm looking at you,) it makes me wonder if the retro-fit business model is quite a good one. Especially if a lot of the performance is just new programming. What's the margin on an ECU tune? 99.99999%?
Very good question no one....
I was pondering this just recently...!
Is it a good thing or a bad thing that someone can buy a second hand 12c and have the latest look for less than a new one? I sold mine but had I known I could upgrade to latest power and look I probably wouldn't have..

I am not sure that it makes sense if the ultimate aim is to sell new cars? Which has to be the aim?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Would be surprised it was necessarily more profitable than selling a new car but for sure it is profitable. Given the price delta between a new car and the 2nd hand ones, I guess it is (probably correctly) reckoned that some people will be put off upgrading to a new car and therefore the best way to get something out of these people might well be offering some form of paid for upgrade. Mso has done very well over the years I am given to believe, F1 work aside, quite a few slr owners have upgraded their cars with the mso pack (£>50k if i remember right) and we have all seen a lot of mso parts appearing on 12cs...

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Why? Is the consensus that the the 650S upgrade will be retrofittable to existing cars?
I would think so - Mclaren then has a win / win scenario.

The MSO program is perfect - you want it we have it but it's going to cost you.

They should have left all options with MSO and let people do as they please - which I think will be the reality at the end of the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts