McLaren Life banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Mac TN, worth checking with another dealer. It seems like once pushed, mine resolved the issue pretty easily with an update to the top module software. Agreed that my $80,000 E93 M3 did have this feature, but I rarely used it. Let's face it, most of the time I did it, it was to impress onlookers and I expect it will be the same on the Mac. Annoying if your car can't do it, but personally wouldn't impact my enjoyment. I did use it the other day in a parking lot....kind of cool to watch the top mechanism from outside the car. What I really need is some top down weather here in Chicago. I'd trade that for this feature...

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is the reply I got back from the Mclaren rep:

"We did remove the ability to open and close the top with the key fob part way into the 2020 build year. We had a large number of customers who were folding the top with something sitting on the interior rear deck and without someone being in the car they did not notice until substantial damage had occurred. It was occurring so often we felt it was best to completely remove the option. It is not something we can add back in as the functionality was removed from the module. I’m sorry for any confusion on that."

Hmmm

·
Registered
155 Posts
anyone have a recent build car that has this feature still, i'm very tall so for me its essential, thinking of swapping from the coupe to the spider but if its disabled on any newer cars thats a show stopper for me.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
It seems like YMMV. Mine (an early build 2020 that I bought new in March 2021) didn't do it at first, but my dealer was able to get it working. My take is, the car is supposed to do it, but something needs to be turned on or programmed and many of the dealers aren't well apprised on that. My salesman didn't even know the car was supposed to do it....

Reactions: Dave_sw1

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
As a former owner of a 720S Spider i can tell you the issue is some cars have modules that do NOT have the programing feature and it can NOT be programed. Mine was one of those sorry to say MCL said they would have to change all the modules in the car and they would not do that. That is why some cars have it some can be programed and the rest are SOL :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
As a former owner of a 720S Spider i can tell you the issue is some cars have modules that do NOT have the programing feature and it can NOT be programed. Mine was one of those sorry to say MCL said they would have to change all the modules in the car and they would not do that. That is why some cars have it some can be programed and the rest are SOL :)
Exactly

·
Registered
155 Posts
doesn't sound like there is a pattern to which ones have the module and which don't. are people with MY21 cars able to still open from the key, an old post says it was changed in 2020 but not sure if thats correct

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I have a 2020 car and it works on mine, although dealer had to do something to make it work.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dealer here in the UK is saying this is an option, but only installed by default in the latest models and to have it enabled the locks need replacing @ £1500 plus a software update.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this, as it seems to be many mixed messages from various sources?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Heard back and they have confirmed that for MY20 Spiders it is just a software update but for earlier cars, including those which are MY19 but registered in 2020 it does require a lockset change which is ~£1500 (GBP) all in.

Hope that info helps others.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Heard back and they have confirmed that for MY20 Spiders it is just a software update but for earlier cars, including those which are MY19 but registered in 2020 it does require a lockset change which is ~£1500 (GBP) all in.

Hope that info helps others.
Thanks for the info, Ascot is adamant they can‘t do this on my mid 2019. which dealer told you this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Birmingham McLaren (Rybrook) spoke to Ben.

Not sure if it applies to all versions but they seemed confident that they could do it to mine which was a MY19, so worth checking with them if your interested.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just for posterity, after speaking to both dealers it still seems to be impossible. Ascot says they spoke to the respective lad in Woking and there's nothing to be done.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts