McLaren Life banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
you are correct i had a 650S with the smart top before i bought my spider i checked and they said the car could be programed to do it. The day after i got my car i could not only not lower the top like my manual states but i could not lower the windows as stated. i waited a few months in December 2019 The Collection called and said they had received a bulliten so on the one year service i took it in after 4 days of reprograming modules they could not complete the repair. They said someone from MCL would call me after 30 days i called them and was assigned a Service Rep Pat, after months of waiting and being told no one was working at the factory due to COVID. I was then told by Pat it was not on my window sticker Sorry not Sorry Good Luck. Maybe you will have modules they can take the program. But not many have had success with Mclaren NA in the past.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 720S Spider
12 Posts
My dealer also told me it's only 2020 cars.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I have a 2020 car and mine won't do it. Been playing with it a lot and no dice so far....Build Date October 2019

·
Registered
32 Posts
It’s more than a little infuriating when we see videos of others doing it and it’s also shown in the manual as a feature.
Kind of ridiculous. But again, first world problems. 😂

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
The window sticker line seems like a load of bs...just did a quick look online at cars available. None of them seem to have a line that says anything about remote roof operation? I haven't had mine in for service as I just took delivery, but I will ask. Also the reverse mirror dip on my car actually turns the mirrors upwards. I seem to recall the exact same problem with my 570S LOL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The window sticker line seems like a load of bs...just did a quick look online at cars available. None of them seem to have a line that says anything about remote roof operation? I haven't had mine in for service as I just took delivery, but I will ask. Also the reverse mirror dip on my car actually turns the mirrors upwards. I seem to recall the exact same problem with my 570S LOL.

Yes. It’s not like every feature on a car is listed on the window sticker. That’s only if it’s an option you pay for. I don’t believe the window sticker says the headlights are auto, yet they are.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Just thought I'd give an update. This wasn't working on my car. Had car to dealership (Mac Chicago) for some work and they said they did a software update and got it to work. For those of you having issues with getting your dealer to fix, here is the description directly from their service write up:

CUSTOMER STATES REMOTE DOES NOT CONTROL CONVERTIBLE TOP AS IT SHOULD.
Tech: (Removed for His Privacy)
Checked software versions for applicable updates. Found available updates for CRCM (convertible rooftop control module), ECM, and HVAC. Performed software updates. Performed necessary
post-programming sequences including VIN programming, align vehicle configurations, ECM immobilizer unpairing, reset misfire adaptations, learn throttle valve adaptations, HVAC motor calibration. Cleared DTCs and verified no DTCs active at this time. Performed opening and closing of retractable roof via key fob. System operating normally at this time.

Reactions: Bob_D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just thought I'd give an update. This wasn't working on my car. Had car to dealership (Mac Chicago) for some work and they said they did a software update and got it to work. For those of you having issues with getting your dealer to fix, here is the description directly from their service write up:

Checked software versions for applicable updates. Found available updates for CRCM (convertible rooftop control module), ECM, and HVAC. Performed software updates. Performed necessary
post-programming sequences including VIN programming, align vehicle configurations, ECM immobilizer unpairing, reset misfire adaptations, learn throttle valve adaptations, HVAC motor calibration. Cleared DTCs and verified no DTCs active at this time. Performed opening and closing of retractable roof via key fob. System operating normally at this time.

its amazing how some techs/service advisors said it cant be done. Any version #?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I should add my car is a 2020. They didn't give me a version number, the language above is verbatim from the service write up. However I think it is an update to internal software, not to the IRIS software after speaking to them. Looks like I needed some other updates too. Not sure why they didn't check that before they delivered my vehicle.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I was told by a 2nd dealer that if you don't have the correct hardware in your car then it can't be programmed. He basically said Mclaren used 2 or more brands of modules for the top and if you don't have the right one it wont work. Smh.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Some Spiders have Controllers that are not capable of letting the top down Mine is one of those ugh. I did open a case with McLaren and all i got was a box of Crickets. And that was after 3 months of COVID excuses. While it may be a trivial option for some, but at 400K all options printed in the manual should work... this how class action law suits get started

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Some Spiders have Controllers that are not capable of letting the top down Mine is one of those ugh. I did open a case with McLaren and all i got was a box of Crickets. And that was after 3 months of COVID excuses. While it may be a trivial option for some, but at 400K all options printed in the manual should work... this how class action law suits get started
I started the thread basically because I couldn't get it to work AND it was printed in my paper manual. It oddly was not in the PDF manual which led me to suspect something became suspect after the car documentation was released so they removed it from what they could still control.
However, despite that I was somehow able to get mine to work as previously stated. The curse of McLaren is a software controlled electronic behavior cannot ever be deduced to be intentional or some quirky sequence of events it doesn't know how to handle.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
It seems like a "cool to have" but far from a "must have". I admit that the original diagnosis of "it's not for the US cars" was disappointing, but I wasn't about to raise a stink. Honestly, the number of times I will probably actually use it after doing it once or twice in my garage is yet to be determined. I am more likely to get out of the car with the top down and put it up remotely, because it's easier to get out with the top down. While I understand the frustration on the part of owners whose cars don't have a feature listed in the owners manual, it's worth remembering these are low production hand built cars. If it was a feature that affected performance, I'd make a stink. But at the end if it didn't work on my car, I'd rather leave it alone than have a dealership taking out the convertible top module and replacing so a feature like this would work. In the end, the less you mess with things on these cars, the better IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It seems like a "cool to have" but far from a "must have". I admit that the original diagnosis of "it's not for the US cars" was disappointing, but I wasn't about to raise a stink. Honestly, the number of times I will probably actually use it after doing it once or twice in my garage is yet to be determined. I am more likely to get out of the car with the top down and put it up remotely, because it's easier to get out with the top down. While I understand the frustration on the part of owners whose cars don't have a feature listed in the owners manual, it's worth remembering these are low production hand built cars. If it was a feature that affected performance, I'd make a stink. But at the end if it didn't work on my car, I'd rather leave it alone than have a dealership taking out the convertible top module and replacing so a feature like this would work. In the end, the less you mess with things on these cars, the better IMO.
It’s ridiculous that a $400,000 can’t operate the top with the FOB. $70,000 BMWs have had this feature for 10 years.

Also, there is a reason the 720 coupe has the roof move with the doors, to make getting in and or easier. On the spider that is assumed with the top down. If you can’t put the top up one you get out with the FOB it makes getting in and out much worse. In my opinion it’s not optional.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts