McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
First off the Smart Top will not work on the new 720S roof mechanism. The old one was hydraulic and was very simple the new one is a bit complicated. I have heard there are a few factory cars that have been programed to raise and lower. It would be great if they will release it. even my old 650S you could raise and lower the windows. my 720S does not even do that with the remote.
Mine does the windows.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I have another update. It's raining here so thought it'd be a good time to play with various buttons in the garage. I was trying to get the 'lock' button on the door to work and let's just say it's quirky. As I was locking and unlocking it during this tedium I noted the roof assembly started to open. I held the open button down on the FOB and lo and behold my roof opened. Then using the lock button on the FOB, I lowered the roof. I did this several times. Note if you have the HOT Evac feature enabled, that will also start when you lower the roof. So last week it wouldn't do it and now it does. Any rate, it works just like the manual pages I posed above say.

And a bonus still shot from the video I took of it working...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have another update. It's raining here so thought it'd be a good time to play with various buttons in the garage. I was trying to get the 'lock' button on the door to work and let's just say it's quirky. As I was locking and unlocking it during this tedium I noted the roof assembly started to open. I held the open button down on the FOB and lo and behold my roof opened. Then using the lock button on the FOB, I lowered the roof. I did this several times. Note if you have the HOT Evac feature enabled, that will also start when you lower the roof. So last week it wouldn't do it and now it does. Any rate, it works just like the manual pages I posed above say.

And a bonus still shot from the video I took of it working...

View attachment 201931
I tried using the open button yesterday by holding it down but it only activated the hot Evac feature and lowered the windows about an inch.

Are you saying you first hold the open button and then hold the lock button? Do you have a video of this sequence?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I tried using the open button yesterday by holding it down but it only activated the hot Evac feature and lowered the windows about an inch.

Are you saying you first hold the open button and then hold the lock button? Do you have a video of this sequence?
Here you go:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here you go:
I have a 2020 that was FOK in March and it arrived in Atlanta April 17, Not sure if this is something they put on these latest models. I can tell you it is not documented in the electronic files you can download from McLaren's site. These PDFs say "2019". My manual has no indication of a date or a revision version so I have no idea which is newer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here you go:
Thanks for taking the time to post this(y).Unfortunately mine does not work when pressing the same buttons.

Interestingly enough my spider was completed in March and delivered in NY in April as well? Hopefully its just programming. I'll talk to my dealer about it on Monday!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for taking the time to post this(y).Unfortunately mine does not work when pressing the same buttons.

Interestingly enough my spider was completed in March and delivered in NY in April as well? Hopefully its just programming. I'll talk to my dealer about it on Monday!
The first time I tried, it didn't work. All that would happen was the Hot Evac would kick in. I gave up after a lot of tries. I think I disabled the Hot Evac function thinking that was not compatible but still didn't work. But I was playing around with the lock touch sensor inside the door channel. It wouldn't work at all so I was locking and unlocking the car with the Fob thinking maybe it needed to be in some state. Then while I was hitting the open on the fob the Tonneau just moved a bit. So then I pushed it and it worked. It's been working since. I have no idea why it didn't work and now does. If you have some time, maybe do what I did :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The first time I tried, it didn't work. All that would happen was the Hot Evac would kick in. I gave up after a lot of tries. I think I disabled the Hot Evac function thinking that was not compatible but still didn't work. But I was playing around with the lock touch sensor inside the door channel. It wouldn't work at all so I was locking and unlocking the car with the Fob thinking maybe it needed to be in some state. Then while I was hitting the open on the fob the Tonneau just moved a bit. So then I pushed it and it worked. It's been working since. I have no idea why it didn't work and now does. If you have some time, maybe do what I did :rolleyes:
Did u turn hot evac back on or left it off?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Did u turn hot evac back on or left it off?
I had it back on. When I was reading the manual, I concluded you'd always get the Hot Evac triggered if you wanted to use the Fob to lower your roof. Sure enough, when I held the open button down it was the first thing that started. I have since disabled it. McLaren's features are sort of quirky. For instance, yesterday I had the car running on the driveway with roof up. I got out and decided to put the roof down so I could watch what happened to the air brake. I hit the open button on the key fob and other than the lights flashing nothing happened. Maybe it doesn't work if the engine is running?
Here's a video of the Hot Evac starting as I am trying to lower the roof:
Here's a video of the roof failing to go down with the engine running

·
Registered
507 Posts
So my dealer says he can now program my spider to open the roof with the key fob. I'm scheduled to have it done with the gas tank recall next week.

Call your dealer guys if you want it done!

·
Registered
507 Posts
So I got my car back from the dealer and he tried and could not program my key fob to lower the top. He said they upgraded some modules and still nothing, even with a corporate tech help.

I'm disappointed. I don't understand how another member with the same build month and delivery has this feature and mine doesn't?? If anyone has figured this out please share.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So I got my car back from the dealer and he tried and could not program my key fob to lower the top. He said they upgraded some modules and still nothing, even with a corporate tech help.

I'm disappointed. I don't understand how another member with the same build month and delivery has this feature and mine doesn't?? If anyone has figured this out please share.
Does the hard copy manual document the feature? Mine does as I posted earlier. It did not work for me despite a number of tries. I went in and disabled the hot evac, tried a few more times without success, and then re-enabled the hot evac. I was trying to get the button on the inside of the door panel to lock the car and it wasn't working consistently. I was locking and unlocking the car repeatedly to figure this out and all of a sudden my Tonneau moved. Then it just started working. I've seen it fail one time since but cycling the engine seemed to restore it.
At some point I had also reset the infotainment system to 'factory defaults' for another reason. I don't remember if that was before or after I was trying to open the roof.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Than
Does the hard copy manual document the feature? Mine does as I posted earlier. It did not work for me despite a number of tries. I went in and disabled the hot evac, tried a few more times without success, and then re-enabled the hot evac. I was trying to get the button on the inside of the door panel to lock the car and it wasn't working consistently. I was locking and unlocking the car repeatedly to figure this out and all of a sudden my Tonneau moved. Then it just started working. I've seen it fail one time since but cycling the engine seemed to restore it.
At some point I had also reset the infotainment system to 'factory defaults' for another reason. I don't remember if that was before or after I was trying to open the roof.
I'm going to check my manual in a few as its in the garage with the car. Its raining here today so I'm gonna play around with it in the garage. I'll follow your instructions and see if I can get this to work.. I'm determined to succeed!! (y)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Taking delivery of a new 2020 next week - dealer updated the software and confirmed it is working from the fob - can't wait!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was able to get mine to work.... sort of. I just took delivery of 2020 spider (US). Here is the crazy thing, the convertible top opens/closes from one of the fobs but not the other. Both fobs are brand new. Both fobs operate the lock/unlock/frunk. Only one operates remote top. Seems strange to me, but one out of two ain't bad. Serious question, do the fobs have "programming" or is it the vehicle? is this just the quirky nature of Mclaren?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dealer doesn’t know how to enable this. Can anyone here explain in enough detail that I can get them to figure this out? I really need this feature to work...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is a 2020. When I hold the unlock button it only starts the heat evac procedure. It never moves the top. I tried tuning that feature off then back on, but still nothing.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts