McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The printed manual that came with my 2020 720 spider says on pages 1.16-17, the key fob can raise and lower the roof.
The PDFs you get on McLaren's site omits these two pages.
My key fob doesn't allow this but was curious as to why it's in my printed manual.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
456 Posts
While researching the 570, I ran across the SmartTOP module which allows this, available through mods4cars.com
I've never heard of this as a factory feature/option... I have no financial interest in this company.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep, had one installed on my 570 spider, worked great, a bit tricky to instal just patients and knowing location.

Looks like nothing on the 720s Spider as of yet but maybe contact them to see when possibly they will make one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
While researching the 570, I ran across the SmartTOP module which allows this, available through mods4cars.com
I've never heard of this as a factory feature/option... I have no financial interest in this company.
  • I installed this on my sl500 years ago. It was the best thing ever!! Allowed you to raise/lower the top with 3 presses. It also allowed the top to go up or down while doing 25 mph which was before its time!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • I installed this on my sl500 years ago. It was the best thing ever!! Allowed you to raise/lower the top with 3 presses. It also allowed the top to go up or down while doing 25 mph which was before its time!
This isn't a question about how to do it. I am asking if people with a 720 spider have a feature detailed in their printed manual saying the roof can be put down and up using the key fob's lock/unlock buttons. My manual shows this on 2 pages but the feature doesn't seem to work. Just wondering if my manual is for some other country or a misprint in all manuals, or something that was in earlier models but not 2020.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This happens sometimes. There is for example a documented web browser feature in the 2018 manual that is not present in the in-car software.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It could be that some places in the world allow this operation (hence why it is in the book). The tech is obviously available but legally they are not allowed to use it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This isn't a question about how to do it. I am asking if people with a 720 spider have a feature detailed in their printed manual saying the roof can be put down and up using the key fob's lock/unlock buttons. My manual shows this on 2 pages but the feature doesn't seem to work. Just wondering if my manual is for some other country or a misprint in all manuals, or something that was in earlier models but not 2020.
Uh yea I get your question but I clearly responded to a post by another member.

I have the same car and I don't have an answer for you. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
First off the Smart Top will not work on the new 720S roof mechanism. The old one was hydraulic and was very simple the new one is a bit complicated. I have heard there are a few factory cars that have been programed to raise and lower. It would be great if they will release it. even my old 650S you could raise and lower the windows. my 720S does not even do that with the remote.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Well let us know. I’ve seen one of the early Press cars doing it. And it was confirmed by the factory as well

·
Owner
553 Posts
Yes, there is a 2020 in town that is doing that with their fob...and they can also roll up and down their windows, just like the older versions could.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
well pull him over and find out what the sequence is

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
The printed manual that came with my 2020 720 spider says on pages 1.16-17, the key fob can raise and lower the roof.
The PDFs you get on McLaren's site omits these two pages.
My key fob doesn't allow this but was curious as to why it's in my printed manual.
take a picture of that page mine does not mention anything stating the top can be opened using a remote ?
Where are you located Country ?

·
Owner
553 Posts
Here it is:
You simply HOLD the unlock button down for several seconds (5-6) to lower the top.
You HOLD the lock button down for several seconds (5-6) to raise it up.
Some cars are programmed for that, and some are not.
If it doesn't work, yours is not programmed and you will have to have your dealer program it - it takes 5 minutes to do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Euro cars like BMW usually had features North American did not have like close windows or top because of safety guidelines, perhaps same with McLaren.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off the Smart Top will not work on the new 720S roof mechanism. The old one was hydraulic and was very simple the new one is a bit complicated. I have heard there are a few factory cars that have been programed to raise and lower. It would be great if they will release it. even my old 650S you could raise and lower the windows. my 720S does not even do that with the remote.
I can raise and lower windows with the fob.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here it is:
You simply HOLD the unlock button down for several seconds (5-6) to lower the top.
You HOLD the lock button down for several seconds (5-6) to raise it up.
Some cars are programmed for that, and some are not.
If it doesn't work, yours is not programmed and you will have to have your dealer program it - it takes 5 minutes to do.
thanks I'll check with dealer

1 - 20 of 79 Posts