McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, for the help of people who are still ordering their cars, what people wish they had or had not optioned on their 12C?

The only thing I regret not getting is the parking sensors - I've never felt I had need of them in any car - but the ass of the car does stick out far beyond where you can see through the rear window.

I should note, I would have regretted not getting a carbon diffuser, but through some happy accident, one was available last minute and McLaren was able to oblige my last second request.

Otherwise there's nothing else. I have no qualms about NOT getting CCBs. And I love the sport fabric interior and all the carbon fiber cosmetic bits. And stealth pack...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Just wondering, for the help of people who are still ordering their cars, what people wish they had or had not optioned on their 12C?

The only thing I regret not getting is the parking sensors - I've never felt I had need of them in any car - but the ass of the car does stick out far beyond where you can see through the rear window.

I should note, I would have regretted not getting a carbon diffuser, but through some happy accident, one was available last minute and McLaren was able to oblige my last second request.

Otherwise there's nothing else. I have no qualms about NOT getting CCBs. And I love the sport fabric interior and all the carbon fiber cosmetic bits. And stealth pack...
yeah, I overlooked the parking sensors, too. Although a backup camera would have been nicer. I haven't heard anybody comment on the parking sensors - do they work well?

·
Registered
356 Posts
yeah, I overlooked the parking sensors, too. Although a backup camera would have been nicer. I haven't heard anybody comment on the parking sensors - do they work well?
I ordered them and will let you know in 2-3 weeks when I GET MY 12C. Counting the days...

·
Registered
626 Posts
yes i regret a little the parking sensors too

and perhaps the stealth pack (to match carbon parts)

the iris was free, as i am not convinced about the sound quality and the ergonomic of the system, it's still a debate (not the cheapest option)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6E, totally agree about the backup camera. I was parallel parking (yeah, that's right - parked on the street between cars), and the only way I could tell how close I was to the car behind was the brake lights. The fact that you can see the engine and the end of the glass gives the illusion that that's sort of the back of the car. Except there's 2+' beyond it. But I do very much love the mirrors that tilt down for parallel parking - I wish I had those on the Cayman, wherein you can never tell how close you are to the curb.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My car is arriving mid march. It's the first batch of cars in Singapore. Was told that Iris was mandatory for the first batch. Now i am told this option will cost me Euro 14,500 and off course all of you know it still does not work. Did you guys have to pay for Iris? Think its ridiculous for me to pay for something that does not work.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I definitely regret not getting on the list sooner!

·
Registered
432 Posts
My car is arriving mid march. It's the first batch of cars in Singapore. Was told that Iris was mandatory for the first batch. Now i am told this option will cost me Euro 14,500 and off course all of you know it still does not work. Did you guys have to pay for Iris? Think its ridiculous for me to pay for something that does not work.
I got 30% off! What a bargain!:eek:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah they work good, very sensitive and accurate. There is no visible indication of the distance just the audible sound. when driving in the city i turn them off because if people cross the street in front off you they go crazy because every one is getting close to the car to check it out.
I think the option is worth it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't regret any of the options that I chose, and I am glad that I added the parking sensors. My R8 had them (dealer configured), and appreciated them on that, so decided to spec them on the 12C.

The one option that I do occasionally regret not speccing is carbon engine covers. I have the carbon engine bay, but when I visited MTC and saw the last pre-production cars being assembled, it seemed to me then that the covers were not that visible, so I opted for standard; if I were doing it again, I think that I'd pop the extra $$.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The first thing I thought of when reading the header was that I may regret not getting the carbon diffuser and then bam, you talk about how you are happy to be able to get the carbon diffuser. At 4k USD it is a good relative value but I am still not sure it will be that visible. Nonetheless, I would like to show it to all the F cars that are trailing behind :)

I really wanted the carbon mirror stalks but they wanted more for those than the rear diffuser so I had to pass. I suppose that if you are patient all these carbon option parts could be retrofitted at the dealer.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Happy with everything,i thought rear sensors would be enough,but they only do the one package.As for carbon bits im happy with my choice,i think for the engine bay the best choice is cf engine covers and standard bay,as you focus on the engine covers which as standard look quite plasticky.The rear diffuser looks good in standard because of the metallic fleck,but i can see the value of the cf one,but mine spends too much time dirty as it sucks up everything even on dusty roads.Non electic seats are just as comfortable for me as the electics as im a small guy and i liked the weight saving at no extra cost,i would have liked heated seats without the electric motors as this is a DD,but nobody offers this option and i didnt think it warrented a call to MSO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Might get Cayman mirrors to tilt if you set switch to right

IIRC, the Cayman will do this if you set the switch to adjust the mirrors to select the right mirror instead of leaving it in the middle. My 997.1 does this (and I'm pretty sure my Cayman did).

But I do very much love the mirrors that tilt down for parallel parking - I wish I had those on the Cayman, wherein you can never tell how close you are to the curb.

·
Registered
161 Posts
But I do very much love the mirrors that tilt down for parallel parking - I wish I had those on the Cayman, wherein you can never tell how close you are to the curb.
Hyper, I am actually quite disappointed about the "tilt down" of the mirrors, because, contrary to my other cars, they only move by a limited magnitude which does not allow seeing the pavement near the rear wheels. Is it the same in your case, or is it that the system doesn't work properly on my 12c?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah they work good, very sensitive and accurate. There is no visible indication of the distance just the audible sound. when driving in the city i turn them off because if people cross the street in front off you they go crazy because every one is getting close to the car to check it out.
I think the option is worth it.
I don't regret taking the sensors but I wish they worked better. I agree with Senna's comments on constant beeping in city traffic until they are switched off, and I think they should come with a screen representation of the car and which sensors are triggering the alert. When I put my car back to its garage, I need to reverse between aseries of pillars that are only a few centimeters away on both sides and with all sensors having something to report at the same time, it becomes almost impossible to hear what really matters (because can't be seen in the mirors), ie the remaining distance to the wall behind.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
I think they should come with a screen representation of the car and which sensors are triggering the alert.
Great idea! Depending on the accuracy would be good to see the actual distance to the object triggering that sensor too

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I don't regret taking the sensors but I wish they worked better. I agree with Senna's comments on constant beeping in city traffic until they are switched off, and I think they should come with a screen representation of the car and which sensors are triggering the alert. When I put my car back to its garage, I need to reverse between aseries of pillars that are only a few centimeters away on both sides and with all sensors having something to report at the same time, it becomes almost impossible to hear what really matters (because can't be seen in the mirors), ie the remaining distance to the wall behind.
I sure MSO will do a mclaren tennis ball on a string that you can hang from the garage ceiling (works everytime) ,but i know what you mean,its not a very advanced system compared to a run of the mill exec car:D

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Wind tunnel tested ball with space fabric covering, hexagonal profile string threaded with carbon fibre - can see it now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hyper, I am actually quite disappointed about the "tilt down" of the mirrors, because, contrary to my other cars, they only move by a limited magnitude which does not allow seeing the pavement near the rear wheels. Is it the same in your case, or is it that the system doesn't work properly on my 12c?
It could be like the Range Rover system try altering whilst in reverse ie dipped and then the next time you select reverse they will revert to the new setting worth a try

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IIRC, the Cayman will do this if you set the switch to adjust the mirrors to select the right mirror instead of leaving it in the middle. My 997.1 does this (and I'm pretty sure my Cayman did).
This is one of those RTFM moments...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts