McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't find this specific info. My 1 year service is due this month and the dealer is 90 minutes away. There's an exotics tuning shop 10 minutes from me that does services at a much more reasonable price. Does anyone know if this affects the warranty? I'd rather not lose a day and 2k+ for a glorified oil change. I'm aware you can get your regular car serviced anywhere under a lease. Just not sure about exotics.
I'm in SoCal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I searched but couldn't find this specific info. My 1 year service is due this month and the dealer is 90 minutes away. There's an exotics tuning shop 10 minutes from me that does services at a much more reasonable price. Does anyone know if this affects the warranty? I'd rather not lose a day and 2k+ for a glorified oil change. I'm aware you can get your regular car serviced anywhere under a lease. Just not sure about exotics.
I'm in SoCal.
Great question .In the same boat. Please post any updates as will I.

thx

·
Registered
838 Posts
i would read the fine print from both lease co. and mac to confirm .
technically for most brands you may not have to but mac may have some exclusion? idk.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Check they will be able to reset the service indicator. They may say...yeah.. no problem. Then hand the car back saying they couldn't do it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my leasing company and they said it shouldn't be a problem as long as they use OEM parts/fluids. However on a whim I called them again and got a different answer (that I should check with the manufacturer). I'm going to request a copy of my paperwork from the dealer to look it over. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
699 Posts
I called my leasing company and they said it shouldn't be a problem as long as they use OEM parts/fluids. However on a whim I called them again and got a different answer (that I should check with the manufacturer). I'm going to request a copy of my paperwork from the dealer to look it over. I'll keep you guys posted.
Dealers don't always use OEM parts and fluids themselves.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in SoCal.
With the vehicle being under factory warranty I would advocate sending it to the dealership for service for a few reasons.

-Service history via vin in McLaren portal. If you have plans of keeping the vehicle after your lease is up up to date dealer service history is required for esc elgibility. If there are no services punched in the portal, which only a mclaren store can do, they will require you to complete back dated services for coverage.
-Software updates. There are regular software updates that only a dealer using an MDS that is online will be able to perform.
- Warrantable concerns. The extra cost of the dealership perrforming the service is also to cover a thorough inspection of the vehicle. Even with basic 1st or 2nd year services on P13 vehicles there usually are additional items that need addressing that can be handled under warranty. You would not believe how many vehicles we see that are deemed " good to go" by indy shops, but have common leaks/faults that require additional repairs, transportation, and down time that could have been avoided by bringing the vehicle into the dealership in the first place.

I am all for the DIY/indy shops, but with the car under factory coverage I would excercise the dealership to ensure any and all loose ends are handled before the warranty lapses and it turns into a customer pay concern, as well as making sure the software is up to date to minimize the McLaren weirdness.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Absolutely good points above. If something goes wrong with these cars it is usually very expensive. I would also keep every i dotted and under rock solid warranty conditions so have the best chance for smooth sailing.

That $1000 saved in a service may not be so cost effective when a $5000 repair refused under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no need bro , Once they sold the car , they actually don't care where u service it. They just keep watching your every monthly payment , that's it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts