McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I took the time today to instal the Mods-4-cars smart top on my new 570 spider. I did quite a bit of research before hand and found that there really wasn't any decent instal pics for any McLaren except for a few pics from a 12-c Spider which was helpful but slightly different than the 570.

So I took the time to do a proper detail instal with pics for anyone that wants to take on this upgrade.

WARNING: If you are not mechanically inclined or you have a short temper or patients then I suggest you let a professional instal this mod. I rate this instal as fairly straight forward with mild to moderate swearing involved, but if you stay calm and follow instructions and don't mind blood sweat and a few tears then you should be fine >:)

I have read somewhere that it is a 15min instal 0:) not quite, more like 1 to 2 hours total time, be prepared and be patient. The mod worked as described right out of the box, and works flawlessly :)

I will post pics with play by play descriptions below.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot how difficult it is to load up pics on ML, very annoying lol

First few pics are tools you will need as well as the size of socket and star bit

Only mistake I made on my tool selection is you will need 4 Corona instead of 1, I recommend one before the start of the operation, 2 during and 1 more for the celebration in the end.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off open the top up, lower the rear window, move both seats forward as you will need the room.

Place a few cloths on back part of tonneau cover and place your tools near by.

Step one is remove both speaker grill located behind the seats if you have them, use a wide prying tool lift gently they will pop out, they are help by clips only.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next step (and this will make you cringe as it sound awful coming out) You will need to lift the panel located just above the seat rest and before the rear window (see pic) WARNING: This part will feel like it won't pop out but go slow, lift with slight pressure and look underneath to see how the clips hold on, with a bit of force and lift it will slowly pop out.

After removed inspect the clips make sure they are all still there and in position, you might need to straighten a few out.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There in the centre you will see the control module/box (see so far so good) You will see 2 visible star screws, use the T30 and remove both screws. The control module is now loose but you will notice it is not that easy to lift because of the wired bundle located underneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To access the wires underneath you will now need to remove 3 plastic snaps with a larger pry tool, go slow be careful or you will break the partial board holding the carpet backing.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next step is to pull back the carpet, it will pull easy from the edges move it out of the way. You will now see 4 bolts holding the partial board, use the #7mm socket to remove all 4 bolts

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull the partial board back gently, use something to keep it back so you have room to move, just don't over do it or it will break.

Now you can access the control module a bit easier, it will still be very small and hard to work with, small hands are definitely better for this job.

Out of the 6 connectors located underneath you will only use #2 and #6, these are the only 2 that will fit the wire harness provide by Smart top, it is pretty straight forward.

Plug the connector from the car to the harness provided then plug that connector to the control module.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next step is you will need patients, you will need to bury lower down the 2 connectors that attach to the harness from the car. Take your time and tuck wires away as well as reconnect all the other wire connectors to the control module.

All that should be left is the smaller black connector that you will run underneath the control box and move over top, you will not attach the double sided velcro that is also provided for you from Smart Top.

Make sure all wires are tucked properly, re-instal the 2 star screws for the control box.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next step is not required but highly recommended.

You are supplied a USB cord to attach to the Smart Top module, you will need this to do a firmware check or to change system settings if so desired.

Run this wire through and down the side of the carpeted area. By doing this you will be able to access the smart top control module anytime you wish with your laptop, this is good for turning the device on or off for service the McLaren or to re configure the smart top setting to you personal taste.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last step is re-instal the 4 bolts, tuck in the carpet, re=instal the 3 black plastic clips.

Second last thing is refit the large top main cover, do this carefully look from underneath make sure all the clips line up and push gently but firmly to hear the clips go in, this might take a few times to get it right don't get discouraged.

The very last thing is install the speaker covers, slide the 2 bottom clips in first the press very firmly on the 2 top ones as they hard to go in, you will hear a definite click when they go in.

If you did everything correct your device should work right away, if not close all car doors, arm car, then disarm car then press roof open button only once as that is all it should take now to open the roof. Once it is activated then try it with the remote.

see video for usage

.I hope this helps a few of you take this job on, if you do I wish you Good-luck gentlemen, I take no responsibility in your actions as I know what I am doing you might be all thumbs ha ha ha ha.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a great step-by-step guide. Much appreciated. I will be using this to install on my 2019 spider.

How have you been enjoying this device? Still working well?

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
457 Posts
Nightlife, THANK YOU so much for sharing this comprehensive guide!

I will not attempt this, as my swearing threshold is w-a-y too low, and I am mechanically-challenged...however, this is a great resource to point my installer towards when I get to that point. I've been interested in this mod for a long time, and it's comforting to hear that it works as advertised.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
457 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Honestly I found it great right out of the box, I believe only setting I added was window opening and increased the top up/down speed at when to engage up a bit, other wise it was great as it came.

The device has been working flawlessly since install, sometimes pressing the button three times can be a bit challenging, but otherwise works great and it is so impressive when you are walking up to the car and it is opening up for you :D. It came in supper handy last year when I was inside restaurant and a freak rain storm came up, three presses and 20 seconds later I was worry free :laugh:

And thank you for kind words :)

If you liked some of my instals be sure to check out the LED engine bay lighting as well as the Novitec wing and my recent heads up display and interior CF threads.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
457 Posts
I've already saved the LED thread; not sure if I'll go that far, but I might! You're getting to be one of my forum heroes...
Enjoy your 570S Spider in good health!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Nightlife, thanks for the great write-up, taking the time and effort to take the pics and writing is a great task in itself. I was wondering will this module work on the 600LT's as well?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not 100% but can't see why not, I would contact the company directly just to make sure, never hurts to ask 😉

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
the Smart Top Module will work on the following Spiders 12C, 650S, 675LT, 570 and 600LT Will not work on 720S :( BTW Member Nightlife did a great job there are also some Videos that were done about three years ago as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts