McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talked to a couple of friends who had done it and a reputable body shop and they all confirmed that I could use 3M material to mount the skid-plate since I was not about to drill the MSO parts. It took me about 2 hours but it came out very good. Drove 50 miles today and it's as secure as it should be. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Did you use 3M mounting tape or 3M VHB? I use the VHB on stuff and that is never coming off by itself. It’s the same kind of tape used on car emblems, replace rivets, etc - even to hold on windows on the tall skyscrapers in Dubai. Typically needs to be bought from industrial suppliers (Granger, etc). The regular 3M mounting tape found at regular stores I used to use, but I don’t find it strong enough by itself for exterior car stuff.

The 3M extreme mounting holds about 0.5lbs/sq.in. versus an insane 8.8lbs/sq.in. for VHB. Skidplates may not be heavy, but they are hit by a lot of wind that will get between the plate and the car which will try to lift it off, and these are 200mph+ cars 😉

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you use 3M mounting tape or 3M VHB? I use the VHB on stuff and that is never coming off by itself. It’s the same kind of tape used on car emblems, replace rivets, etc - even to hold on windows on the tall skyscrapers in Dubai. Typically needs to be bought from industrial suppliers (Granger, etc). The regular 3M mounting tape found at regular stores I used to use, but I don’t find it strong enough by itself for exterior car stuff.

The 3M extreme mounting holds about 0.5lbs/sq.in. versus an insane 8.8lbs/sq.in. for VHB. Skidplates may not be heavy, but they are hit by a lot of wind that will get between the plate and the car which will try to lift it off, and these are 200mph+ cars 😉

Thanks!

Z.
I used 3M VHB

Adhesion: 320 ounces per inch (to stainless steel test panel)
Tensile Strength: 90 pounds per inch (longitudinal)
Thickness: 50 mils (carrier, adhesive, liner) 45 mils (carrier, adhesive) 5 mils (liner)
Dynamic Overlap Shear: 80 pounds per square inch
Carrier/Backing: closed cell acrylic foam

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does that add height (lower the height) and prone to scratch even more?
Every skid-plate lowers the height and this one does too by a few millimeters. Yes it is more prone to scratch IF a few millimeters is the difference between catching a slope or not. At the end of the day, this is only for those one or two events per year (at least in my case) that you don't pass a good judgement and don't go diagonal enough.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts

Thanks!

Z.
I used 3M VHB

Adhesion: 320 ounces per inch (to stainless steel test panel)
Tensile Strength: 90 pounds per inch (longitudinal)
Thickness: 50 mils (carrier, adhesive, liner) 45 mils (carrier, adhesive) 5 mils (liner)
Dynamic Overlap Shear: 80 pounds per square inch
Carrier/Backing: closed cell acrylic foam
Cool - do you have the 3M 4 digit code? That 320oz/inch is 20lbs which is great! How wide? It just says “per inch” so not sure if that is “square inch” or one inch length of a 2” wide roll..

Thanks!

Z.

·
Recent Convert
837 Posts
Used the same stuff on my 675 skid plates, though I decided to add a few pop rivets (just as insurance)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape: 1 in. x 15 ft.
Oh, that’s the same one I use. The dynamic shear really is around 20lbs/sqin.. though the static shear (over 7 days) is actually 4.4lbs/sqin at 72F (earlier I misspoke - it’s not 8.8lbs). Still way stronger than almost any other method and plenty for skid plates.

Used the same stuff on my 675 skid plates, though I decided to add a few pop rivets (just as insurance)
The tape is probably way stronger than the rivets, especially for impact loads... heat is probably the only real enemy of tape (static load drops by 50% at 150F).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-RTUo9AtIq0

Thanks!

Z.

·
Recent Convert
837 Posts
Oh, that’s the same one I use. The dynamic shear really is around 20lbs/sqin.. though the static shear (over 7 days) is actually 4.4lbs/sqin at 72F (earlier I misspoke - it’s not 8.8lbs). Still way stronger than almost any other method and plenty for skid plates.

The tape is probably way stronger than the rivets, especially for impact loads... heat is probably the only real enemy of tape (static load drops by 50% at 150F).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-RTUo9AtIq0

Thanks!

Z.
Yep providing it bonds well
My cars sees extremes of temperature and weather so decided on using less than half of the pop rivets SAG provided as the recommended fixing method as "insurance" if the tape should ever let go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts