McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been casually looking into purchasing a 570s. However, I live in Little Rock, AR so I am quite a ways away from the nearest dealership. I do all my own car maintenance and have a shop with a lift etc and enjoy doing the work. I am not asking about whether its hard to work on them or not but instead, does McLaren actively support me purchasing parts from them as an individual? I drive my cars A LOT so having to take it to Dallas for brake pads or oil changes etc would get annoying and expensive fast, especially for mundane work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
agreed, carbon ceramic brakes you will likely never change. If you swap to steel then your aftermarket anyways.

fluid flushes have been documented by DIY here. The rest are inspections, but currently there is no way to reset the service indicator at home.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We're dancing around the question about whether "McLaren actively supports" self maintenance. I don't know that anyone can answer that definitively, most importantly with regard to what happens down the road if there's a warranty claim and the car has been self-maintained and the dealer thinks the two are somehow related. I think the law is on the consumer's side - unless the dealer can prove that the self maintenance was the cause of the failure then they have to honor the warranty. (Obviously if it's your fault, well, it's your fault.) Given your distance from the dealer I'd say go for it and just keep clear records of what you do.

Some other thoughts:
- There is a member on here who sells the service manuals. They are not cheap, but you might look into that.
- Parts can sometimes be hard to source. I think there are enough dealers now where if you call around you should be able to source anything. How long it takes to get - that's another issue.
- If you run into issues there is a very thin (if at all) collective knowledge on these cars publicly available. This forum, relative to a place like rennlist for instance, is not technical at all. You'll want a friend at a service department at your dealer (or somewhere in the country) that you can reliably call upon if/when you get stuck.

And a final ask... if you start doing this post how-to threads! That would be a phenomenal contribution to the forum and all its members.

·
Owner
849 Posts
I have done almost all my own work on my Ferraris, Porsches and now the 570S. I have a shop and we generate records. So, there is real documentation.

So, far it has been easy to work on and my dealer has no problem selling parts..... service or otherwise. I have also been told that this will not void the warranty.

Getting service materials is another story. McLaren are very tight lipped on ANY information. You can sign up on McLaren's technical portal and search the manuals and procedures. However, they hit you for 30GBP/hour for the privilege. They also won't let you print the pages. So, you end up taking screen shots and cell phone pictures. This is frankly BS.

Then there is the Mac diagnostic tool that will allow you reset the service interval, dx issues, etc. Mac won't let you have it. There is an aftermarket one for an unreasonable pile of money. I am sure the aftermarket (or the Chinese), will figure it out.

At the end of the day, these are just cars and are fairly easy to work on. Go for it! They are amazing cars!

Attachments

Reactions: caraudio1

·
2016 650S Spider
182 Posts
I will be watching this and related threads with bated breath!

My new car warranty runs out in September this year, and I plan on still having a dealer do the three year service prior to the expiration, in case any warranty items come up at that point. BTW, my biggest concern here is the suspension accumulators. I'm convinced the car's ride has changed since new, although at last year's service they checked that and assured me all is OK.

After that final service under the warranty, I'm strongly considering *not* getting the extended warranty (I have not made a final decision yet).

Between all the extended warranty exclusions and the sheer cost of the extended warranty, I'm willing to take my chances with "self-insurance" once I'm out of warranty. The savings with self-maintenance, added to the savings with not getting the extended warranty should give me plenty of reserve to take on the risk of major failures, like of the engine or gearbox. Also, going forward, it looks like XPRD can offer options to rebuild these major components, rather than replace/exchange them. If it comes to that, I shall look upon such work as a healthy way to occupy myself in retirement - plus I have a brother-in-law who is a much more experienced mechanic and who would no doubt enjoy working on the McLaren.

One can maybe take a more rational approach to maintenance when not on the official schedule, adjusting the intervals according to usage, etc. With my boat, we pay attention to oil analyses, for example, in looking at oil and transmission fluid change intervals. The oil analyses can also detect some issues in the bud (e.g., excessive wear metals or other extraneous substances in the oil). I'm not sure how much this idea would apply to the McLaren.

My car is now in Port Townsend, WA, so I'm no longer so handy to a dealer (it used to be 12 miles from McLaren SF). The new dealer in Seattle is closest. But on the plus side, for the first time in years I have a place where I can really work on the car. I have a 4-post lift already, and may get some other such gear.

So I'm looking forward to hearing more about others experiences in the next few months before I have to decide about the extended warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have a cost effective solution for resale? I just need to read/erase codes and reset the service indicator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have checked into them. It’s basically $2k for 1 VIN, an extra $1700 for each additional VIN. Or $6k for multiple VIN, plus annual update charges. Looking for a more affordable way. Maybe a group buy for owners in my area?

·
Sponsor
914 Posts
I have checked into them. It’s basically $2k for 1 VIN, an extra $1700 for each additional VIN. Or $6k for multiple VIN, plus annual update charges. Looking for a more affordable way. Maybe a group buy for owners in my area?
Where are you located?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Redwood City area on the SF Bay peninsula

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're in my area. I can always help you with whatever you need!!
Excellent, could you PM me your contact details please?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts