McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ON June 26th, My car, which was on display at an event with another forum members 570 GT, would not start!! Found out it was the fuel pump. It was so late I had to leave my car at the place and have it towed in the morning. Embarrassing but hey shit happens! It's a Mclaren!!

What really has me pissed is they don't have the part available anywhere in the world!! I ordered and purchased my car brand new, 2020 720s Spider. I have had so many issues with this car but I still love it! I have dealt with most of the 720s issues mentioned on this forum and the dealer has sorted out most. I drive my car every chance I get, 27K miles in 3 years. I even had a horrible brake squealing and low pitched howling noise that the Mclaren rep said was normal. It was so loud my wife would not ride in the car with me because it was so embarrassing. I paid out of pocket almost $4k to replace the pads. This is right after I forked over $3k for service and almost $11k for the ESC which IMO is worthless if they don't have the part within a timely manner. They're saying the ETA is July 28th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

So I have not been able to use my car for almost 4 weeks and counting in the middle of the summer and its my birthday month!! Everyone who knows me knows I have been a Mclaren spokesperson refuting so much of the negativity about the Macs in person and online so this is a big slap in the face! My friends who aren't even car people feel sorry for me because they know how much I enjoy driving my car. smh! I know I'm going to be happy when I get my car back but its hard for me to envision buying another Mac. I could list all the issues I've had but ya'll heard it all before.

For the record, my car is completely stock and it has always been serviced at the dealer.

Is anyone else on here waiting for a fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Feel for you! I would think a fuel pump would be a readily available item. I’ve been trying to get windshield wiper motor/linkage for a month, crapped out on a rally with rain and hail at night in Colorado. It’s back ordered with no estimated delivery date. At least I can still drive it but Rain-X only works so well. Good thing is I am back in California

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am sure you know this but there is a worldwide shortage of lots of various things. This has nothing to do with Mclaren and is beyond their control. For example, I just got an email from my pool service saying there is a worldwide shortage of parts for the salt chlorinator system. The email went on to state that if your breaks they will be unable to repair or replace it and you will need to convert to chemicals. We are living in crazy times.
with that being said, it totally sucks and sorry you have to wait.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feel for you! I would think a fuel pump would be a readily available item. I’ve been trying to get windshield wiper motor/linkage for a month, crapped out on a rally with rain and hail at night in Colorado. It’s back ordered with no estimated delivery date. At least I can still drive it but Rain-X only works so well. Good thing is I am back in California
That sucks but at least you can still drive it. I've had quite a few issues that I had to wait for parts but I was always able to drive it and then bring it back. Its a hassle but it is what it is!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure you know this but there is a worldwide shortage of lots of various things. This has nothing to do with Mclaren and is beyond their control. For example, I just got an email from my pool service saying there is a worldwide shortage of parts for the salt chlorinator system. The email went on to state that if your breaks they will be unable to repair or replace it and you will need to convert to chemicals. We are living in crazy times.
with that being said, it totally sucks and sorry you have to wait.
Yes I very well aware of the world wide shortage but with all the issues I/we deal with you think they'd be more considerate. For example they could've easily swapped out my brake pads at no charge which would went a long way towards good will! I keep playing by their rules, paying at every corner and I still end up like this. I guess this is the straw that broke my back!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’d be upset. I just had to wait on an AC part for my commuter car for two weeks. Super simple part, 2 week wait. It’s ridiculous. Supply chain snafus everywhere. I get the frustration. But at least you’ve got a decent timeline to know when you’re back in your car. Pretend you’ve got a deposit on an Artura and it’ll be allocated/built/delivered….??? Who knows!

2012 MP4-12C
2,727 Posts
It's not just McLaren. Picture this: You buy the most produced Lamborghini in the world, by a large margin. It's your daily driver, and it uses tires that last 6-10k miles, that are only made by 1 company, and they don't have any tires for it. You have 2 options, don't drive it or buy new wheels and tires so you can drive it. THOUSANDS of people are experiencing it at the same time, right now.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes I very well aware of the world wide shortage but with all the issues I/we deal with you think they'd be more considerate. For example they could've easily swapped out my brake pads at no charge which would went a long way towards good will! I keep playing by their rules, paying at every corner and I still end up like this. I guess this is the straw that broke my back!
Maybe you should change the dealer before you leave the brand. My McLaren dealer here in Switzerland does an exceptionally good job, always very accommodating and generous. He seems to have understood that a car is only as good as the dealer is. I am extremely sorry for what you have to experience!

My first McLaren, a 650S, had a three month delivery delay. My dealer gave me a 570S for free for those three months.
Once I had to drive unscheduled into the garage due to McLaren's fault. For me an expense of half a day. As compensation, my dealer gave me a set of Trofeo R tires. That's what I call customer orientation and customer service. I don't understand dealers who don't behave like this.

I always say, with such expensive and complex cars, you're not just buying a product, you're entering into a business relationship. And there it is called give and take.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I worked for a manufacturer. Swapping a part that is not considered defective is bad for the manufacturer. If the next set squeals which it probably will eventually then what? You say another defective pair what is the part warranty? It is a slippery slope. I have seen it dozens of times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sorry to read about your experience. Between McLaren and Tesla I am not sure why I continue to buy cars from companies that seemingly actively despise their customers, but yet here I am.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe you should change the dealer before you leave the brand. My McLaren dealer here in Switzerland does an exceptionally good job, always very accommodating and generous. He seems to have understood that a car is only as good as the dealer is. I am extremely sorry for what you have to experience!

My first McLaren, a 650S, had a three month delivery delay. My dealer gave me a 570S for free for those three months.
Once I had to drive unscheduled into the garage due to McLaren's fault. For me an expense of half a day. As compensation, my dealer gave me a set of Trofeo R tires. That's what I call customer orientation and customer service. I don't understand dealers who don't behave like this.

I always say, with such expensive and complex cars, you're not just buying a product, you're entering into a business relationship. And there it is called give and take.
Thanks for your understanding. I really can't blame my dealer. They're not perfect but they try their best with what they have. I give credit to my service manager for responding to my texts at 11:30 pm on a Sunday night when my car wouldn't start! Mclaren is very tight on their rules and even when you follow them and pay as required you're still left holding the bag.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Car forum posters fall for these types of postings all the time . The original posters aren’t looking for solutions …. They are usually trying to create an environment to get freebies or they didn’t get their way and try to tee it up for others to pile on .

27k miles in 3 years where a person can’t drive in the winters is a lot of miles driven /used …. Complaint about brake pads at 27k miles says it all .

If he got freebie brake pads then he doesn’t even make this posting…. I wish I could get freebies too at 27k miles

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I worked for a manufacturer. Swapping a part that is not considered defective is bad for the manufacturer. If the next set squeals which it probably will eventually then what? You say another defective pair what is the part warranty? It is a slippery slope. I have seen it dozens of times.
I understand what you're saying but my brake squeal was ridiculous!! Not only high pitched squealing but the loud low pitched moan or growl...every time I drove the car. Mclaren said it was normal and I wasn't heating the brakes up enough. The crazy thing is it starts making noise after I heat them up!. I had a similar but not as bad issue with my 458 and Ferrari took care of it with no problem! Again, I don't want to list all the problems I had with my car because I don't want to sound like a Mac hater but there is but so much one can take especially when I'm doing everything they say to do and it's costing me a lot to do so!

I know posting this here is not really going to change my outcome, unless some nice member takes his fuel pump out and loans it to me;), but it is something that needs to be known. Mac has great potential to overtake the other brands but they have to retain its customers. Constant bad news like this will lose customers and prevent others from taking a chance like I did.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts