McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First service time . Car goes in . I know I need new tyres and my aero bits seem to have fallen off the car . I get presented with a horrendous bill including aero bits , arch liners etc .
The arch liners have worn through (?) and the aero bits have fallen off .
Apparently these things happened at spa ( they say ) and the car is not warrantied for track days unless you do a pre and post track inspection .
I still have to pay for the liners and aero as they are not covered now.i ask what the would have done to stop the arch liners wearing through and the aero bits falling off if i had the inspection , apparently nothing ! So what the hell? Seems like a clear design flaw , am I going to have to factor in aero bits and arch liners every time I drive the car hard ?
This is ridiculous , mclaren as a road car company will not be around for long at this bloody rate anyway , stupidity like this can't help surely?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Wow. May I ask what dealer this is?

I'm also not sure what pieces you mean, sorry, but could you explain where the aero bits/arch liners are?

I know that service charged me $75 to replace beaten up front tire spoilers (I think they are what scrapes when you bottom out when going into a gas station with to steep an entrance).

They also charged 900 to replace the front floor from a particularly bad (at high speed) bottom out.

No track day involved.

The $150 for the front spoilers is very reasonable. My Corvette also had a "scrape piece" and after enough wear the would charge to replace it. $200. So relatively, I cannot complain.

But this seems to be a customer relations problem in presenting things to you like you broke some rule, by going to a track, for a car touted as a track car. The reality is some pieces will have wear and tear, and the company will expect you to foot the bill unless something went wrong. And that is reasonable, but it should be presented that way.

But it sounds like the parts you're talking about are not the normal wear tear parts like I noted above... Sorry to hear it Wtdoom. :(

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry gentlemen all I know is what I posted , the aero bits and the wheel arch liners . I'm in Berlin and the car is in London . Discussion was not directly with me . I'm going to get it done , i just wanted to vent amongst owners that's why I posted in this part of the forum . I'll fill in the details in the morning .

I'm glad I'm not going insane , I thought maybe I was being unreasonable .

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect this is the new md making it more like an old fashioned car company... I hope not, but it seems we might be heading that way..
Oh dear .
They were really good at first . Times hard perhaps?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I have had broken bits underneath,but my service manager rings me everytime with a breakdown and asks whether I want it doing,its down to communication with each dealership ,as for warranty they are consumables that can get damaged,but I think its not necessary to replace these things at every service,although I do agree the liners are a bit flimsy imo

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Oh dear .
They were really good at first . Times hard perhaps?
Dunno.. they have been good to me as per Andy c in so far as this needs doing and that, some chargeable some not, but I've never had you've taken it to a track and therefore xxxx not covered... I am open with them about where its been and what I've been up to..

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Dunno.. they have been good to me as per Andy c in so far as this needs doing and that, some chargeable some not, but I've never had you've taken it to a track and therefore xxxx not covered... I am open with them about where its been and what I've been up to..
Thing is Mike,how can the aero bits be covered,they are almost designed to break with their proximity to the ground,no more so than if you hit an object on the top of the car.My gripe would be with the liners only.But it is a lesson to be concerned about the engine and drivetrain with them being stringent with the inspections.One of the reasons I asked Mark to make it part of the GT programme for peace of mind on a dedicated McLaren event.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Thing is Mike,how can the aero bits be covered,they are almost designed to break with their proximity to the ground,no more so than if you hit an object on the top of the car.My gripe would be with the liners only.But it is a lesson to be concerned about the engine and drivetrain with them being stringent with the inspections.One of the reasons I asked Mark to make it part of the GT programme for peace of mind on a dedicated McLaren event.
Sorry yes was really thinking it would apply to the liners only.. Wind deflectors etc well they're designed to come off... If I am assuming right that I think I know what the wheel liners are.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The aero flap things are fair enough but I think it's ridiculous to have to buy new arch liners every track day . That would make things not fun at all . He did say that he'd let me off this time but cars must have a pre and post track day inspection to stay in warranty . That too is just not convenient and borderline stupid when they go on about track times and speeds so much .

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The aero flap things are fair enough but I think it's ridiculous to have to buy new arch liners every track day . That would make things not fun at all . He did say that he'd let me off this time but cars must have a pre and post track day inspection to stay in warranty . That too is just not convenient and borderline stupid when they go on about track times and speeds so much .
Maybe just unlucky Doom,plenty of others have done loads of track time without damaging the liners,i know its inconvenient and a risk many take,but is it not common policy with all other manufacturers,i seem to think it is the case with Ferrari,but not too sure about Porsche,but given the way of the world I would suspect it is,after all I did get my Porsche warrenty cancelled for putting oem gt2 brakes and discs on a standard turbo,you would have though I was being sensible,but I had to take them off :confused:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Wheel arch liners does sound ridiculous. Sorry to hear that. The trackday inspections I find just crazy and have sounded off on it a few times but if you press them, reckon you can get away with just the post inspection with a bit of grumbling, but that is annoying enough as it is. Ben at the London service centre has been pretty good with me so far though I have to say (do try to speak to him if you are not already as he is rather more reasonable about the inspections than whoever else I first spoke to....) and one does hope it keeps that way....

·
Owner
166 Posts
+1, only speak to Ben.

I've done 11k+ track miles, and have just changed discs, pads, arch liners.

My car does bottom out going into Eau Rouge at Spa.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
+1, only speak to Ben.

Agree with Ben,ive heard good things about him,pretty good bang for your buck there KC,im impressed

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had 7 of the aero parts replaced now, no idea about the liner!! I'd best have a look!!
I'm somewhat disappointed with how much its costing to maintain the everyday vehicle aspect of the 12C, however I just accept it's not an everyday car without these associated costs..
I bottomed out getting onto the tunnel last time, thought it was another pair of aero broken, pleased to say it wasn't - phew!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
+1, only speak to Ben.

Agreed re Ben (again), he's a good guy, but hasn't heard of 8th gear!

Just to confirm Mr C3Y, you've done 11k track miles? Eleven thousand? 11,000? That's incredible.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Agreed re Ben (again), he's a good guy, but hasn't heard of 8th gear!

Just confirm Mr C3Y, you've done 11k track miles? Eleven thousand? 11,000? That's incredible.
Andy,did you miss the video of him destroying a 430 challenge on slicks,all in the standard 12c,impressive!! You can well believe his mileage :cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Andy,did you miss the video of him destroying a 430 challenge on slicks,all in the standard 12c,impressive!! You can well believe his mileage :cool:
I did see that and was well impressed. Not as impressed as 11k track miles in one car though, in such a relatively short period.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts