McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one seems to raise the issue that most 'modern' cars enjoy the benefits of direct injection.

The Mk2 MP12 will.....so what extra bhp/torque do you think will accrue.

The direct injection Porsche engines are smoother, seem more responsive and have a wider spread of torque from lower revs plus the leaner use of fuel and bigger tank range.

Any views?

I have only driven direct injected Ferrari's which are very smooth and responsive.

The MP12 hardly needs it but it will get it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
No one seems to raise the issue that most 'modern' cars enjoy the benefits of direct injection.

The Mk2 MP12 will.....so what extra bhp/torque do you think will accrue.

The direct injection Porsche engines are smoother, seem more responsive and have a wider spread of torque from lower revs plus the leaner use of fuel and bigger tank range.

Any views?

I have only driven direct injected Ferrari's which are very smooth and responsive.

The MP12 hardly needs it but it will get it.
back in FEB i asked dealer rep about DFI LSD and VTG turbos......reply from Woking rep-DFI not needed cause they met power and efficiency goals without it....LSD thought to be too heavy so they went with brake steer and achieved the handling characteristics they required......finally VTG turbos was passed on because no significant LAG was evident with the small units used so VTG simply wasn't required;)........they may have a change of heart with next gen 12C.......McLaren mantra 'could we meet our targets without it? If we need it, how can we make it lighter?':)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Power Train Director of Mclaren has already admitted that they will have DFI on the next iteration, they started the current engine development and considered they did not have enough time, as well as not needing, to develop DFI.

There is a video somewhere where he makes the statement. Mapping DFI is notoriously time consuming as DFI runs lean to get efficiency/emissions optimised, but it loweres emissions and mpg so becomes a need to have in time as I am led to understand by the Tech Heads.

So I conclude they went the pragmatic route knowing they could develop further at a later stage

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't know about the UK, but i know in the US the Audi and Porsche dealers are full of cars with lots of engine problems. I don't know if it is a direct result of the injection systems,(no pun intended) but i know cars that used to be bullet proof are now having all sorts of issues

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Don't know about the UK, but i know in the US the Audi and Porsche dealers are full of cars with lots of engine problems. I don't know if it is a direct result of the injection systems,(no pun intended) but i know cars that used to be bullet proof are now having all sorts of issues
not certain but i don't think Porsche has raced the DFI engine yet unless the HYBRID race car used it;).......though audi has dominated LeMans with TDI race cars:)

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
DFI engines (namely those from Deutschland) have been noted to have "carbon"/"sludge" buildup on the intake-valves & PCV-systems. There have been a myriad of proposed theories as to why, along w/ a gamut of endless solutions. Whether this is an U.S. phenomenon or abroad, I'm not sure. I believe DFI itself may not be the actual problem per-se, but more-so the approach towards the execution of it (various manufacturers have gone about it w/ varying approaches).

·
Registered
296 Posts
not certain but i don't think Porsche has raced the DFI engine yetQUOTE]

I dont know about the race cars either. I was refering to the production vehicles which started getting DFI in 98 , and has gone down hill since then.....i feel another emissions scam coming on , but what do i know, i just see the bullshit and the problems.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts