McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Phil
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my 12C for a run to collect my wife from a local UK train station.

When I got there it was so busy that I couldn't pull up in the pick-up area so I had no option other than to park in the car park.

I got over the speed bumps without issue and reversed into a bay with about 2ft clearance on either side :)

Then I tried to get out... On my side the door would have maybe opened if it wasn't for the fact that the car parked next to me had mirrors! But since it, along with every other car does there was no way the door would fully open.

I was trapped!! The only solution was to not leave the car. When my wife arrived she couldn't get in either so I had to move the car into open space first!

These were normal sized UK parking spaces, I really thought there would be no problem but the fact is that these doors are not suitable for bay parking unless it's a very wide space where no-one can park close to you...

Has anyone else encountered this, perhaps even been unable to get into their car because someone was parked close by?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi Squirrel

Always my worry when I park.

All it needs I some d*ck to park about a foot away from the drivers door (his passenger side) and you are stuffed.

Could attempt to get in via passenger side, but how un-cool and embarrassing would that be?

I always try to park on the end of the bay or in the quiet section of the car park, which is miles away from the entrance to where I’m visiting.

Multi stories, as far as I’m concerned, are just a non starter.

The joys of owning a scissor-doored car, that’s assuming you can open (and shut) them in the first place!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Park with the door open, always makes others leave room.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I would do but that's impossible because the car won't stay in gear with the doors open!!
The handbrake triggers on when the door opens!

But ,reality is you can't risk parking in a bay. At my Golf Club I parked in the Pro's place as it is isolated and every member arriving went to see him complaining that they now realised he overcharged for lessons. He had no peace for 4 hours.

·
Phil
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's about 2ft required with the 12C even if the car you're parking by has no mirrors protruding.

I guess wheter it's a McLaren or a Koenigsegg it's a 'nice' problem to have as long as we avoid getting trapped outside the cars.

McLarens claim that it needs no more space than a car with conventional doors is utter nonsense!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sorry Guys

as the owner of a Ford GT, I find the MP4 a breath of fresh air - in the FGT you need to be able to FULLY open the door or else you can't get out, so you essentially need about 4 ft clearance - the MP is much neater.
Now if only I didn't have to slam the shit out of them to close(much to the amusment of anyone looking) life would be good!
Are they Bouviers, Labradoodles, or Gryphonns?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Black Russian terriers ( 3 yr old sisters)

The first day I had my GT..I almost decapitated myself..was not watching and literally had a 4" cut across my forehead..Stupid user error but the edge on these doors are dangerous..I find the Mac doors very easy to operate ....Just giive me an Iris system that works..and I do believe a full refund is in order....this pi**es me off everytime I drive the car.
That being said..250 miles and I love driivng it more each day...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Black Russian terriers ( 3 yr old sisters)

The first day I had my GT..I almost decapitated myself..was not watching and literally had a 4" cut across my forehead..Stupid user error but the edge on these doors are dangerous..I find the Mac doors very easy to operate ....Just giive me an Iris system that works..and I do believe a full refund is in order....this pi**es me off everytime I drive the car.
That being said..250 miles and I love driivng it more each day...
I agree that a full refund is due if the product is not there and London haven't charged their customers as they were not charged by McLaren as far as I am aware. Is it possible that your dealer is profiteering :confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree that a full refund is due if the product is not there and London haven't charged their customers as they were not charged by McLaren as far as I am aware. Is it possible that your dealer is profiteering :confused:
The window sticker reads as follows:

Premium Meridian Surround Sound Package 4,795

It is absolutely BS...the fact that McLaren buyers can afford this expense does not justify their actions..A full refund is in order...This is not the way to treat supporters.

·
Phil
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone asked McLaren what the official position is regarding charges for Iris even though it is not deliverable?

If you've received your car and been made to pay then I would strongly recommend calling McLaren Client Services for clarification and to voice your opinion directly.

IMHO the system will eventually be great BUT in the meantime it's just plain wrong for anyone to be charged for a missing feature - Even if they were insistent upon charging surely it should be at the time of delivery of a functional Iris and even then there should be a significant gesture of goodwill to compensate for the delay /inconvenience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spoke to McLaren USA to get clarification of their policy on discounting the Iris, since it is not being delivered functioning as promised. I was told that all McLaren customers in the USA are receiving a $2,000 discount on this option and a free upgrade when the system is finally worked out. While this is a nice gesture, I am sure that like me, most of you expected much more. In addition, I was told that part of the problem with the sonics of the sound system, is due to the lack of a subwoofer, which was not included in order to save weight.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In addition, I was told that part of the problem with the sonics of the sound system, is due to the lack of a subwoofer, which was not included in order to save weight.
So we paid $4795 for a "Premium" sound system that sounds bad because they deliberately left out the subwoofer in order to save weight? :confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
In Singapore, IRIS cost US$19,28. As the Sat Nav is not available now, i ended up paying 70% or US$13,499. If i want the SAT NAV when it's available in the coming months. I have to pay the balance 30%. The local dealer showroom is opening today and i will be getting my car this week. The deal on IRIS sucks. I was told since my car was one of the first few, i had to spec IRIS.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same here in France. I got my car in December and the invoice showed the Iris system as free. The only problem is the dealer tried to present it as a rebate they were giving me for technical reasons ... in exchange for a lower buy-in price on my F-car.

·
Phil
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same here in France. I got my car in December and the invoice showed the Iris system as free. The only problem is the dealer tried to present it as a rebate they were giving me for technical reasons ... in exchange for a lower buy-in price on my F-car.
Owl - If you can prove that you were given a lower p/x value I suggest you call McLaren Client Services and complain as this is blatant profiteering that McLaren would not permit as they wanted you to have no charge for Iris at that stage... I think they would pressure the dealer to apologise and reimburse you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts