McLaren Life banner

Did you pay for IRIS?

• Yes, I paid full price.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No, I got a substantial discount (~$3000).

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No, I got it for free.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 24.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that bought a 12C new, did you get IRIS thrown in for free, or did you pay full price?

·
Registered
207 Posts
John,
What if you bought it as a pre-owned vehicle and got a discount on the whole car?
lc

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just checked my sticker, the IRIS option isn't even on the list of options with cost. The Meridian speakers on my car lists for $4795 :mad:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Clavin:

I think we want to limit the poll to those that bought new, as only those owners will know if they got a discount on IRIS. Meaning if you bought used, they may list IRIS, but we dont know if the original owner paid for it or not.

I don't consider a discount on the car in totality to be a discount on IRIS. If you get 10k off the price of a new car, that is on the car and not IRIS. Meaning, the discount could in theory be for "free" carbon wing and accents.

However, many were told they are not being charged or specifically got a discount on IRIS as the dealer wasn't being invoiced for IRIS because of its "still in development" status.

Hope that makes sense. I think what I'd like to get a feel from is if 90% paid for IRIS in full, then making us pay for an upgrade, is not the greatest policy decision. However, if only 10% paid, then the upgrade
Pricing, isn't a terrible call as a policy decision.

At least that's an interesting insight for me...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked my sticker, the IRIS option isn't even on the list of options with cost. The Meridian speakers on my car lists for $4795 :mad:
Yea, not cheap unotaz, but believe it or not, that's a discount. IRIS on my sticker was over $7k if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Please enlighten me what other is?? Stolen it ;)
For you Andy, it refers to how McLaren threw in a 21 year old hottie for the night to make up for their crap Audio / Nav. system. :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I find the notion that spending £200k on a car can deliver 'free' components is a nonsense...........the only way to acquire Iris is to purchase the car!

The fact the promises about Iris were not delivered made the car more expensive than originally claimed!

Am I alone in this view other than I suspect Doris agrees with me?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find the notion that spending £200k on a car can deliver 'free' components.............the only way to acquire Iris is to purchase the car!

The fact the promises about Iris were not delivered made the car more expensive than originally claimed!

Your getting cantankerous . Go drive you Mac and listen to some music:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just checked; they knocked a bit more than 2K off of the MSRP of my car. It was done by McL--not by the dealer--and after I placed the order and signed off on the build sheet. The car just showed up cheaper. As is the McL style, they didn't explain, and missed a chance to help set expectations.

But, I can't complain: I signed up for the full cost of IRIS knowing it was flawed. When I ordered the car, the problems were known, and I could have opted out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Other:

Ordered early new car and wanted to decline the option, but I was told IRIS was compulsory to order car. Car showed up with invoice for $5000. stereo upgrade instead of $7,000. IRIS. I am not very happy to pay $3500. more to fix a broken system which I was obligated to buy which I did not even want in the first place. BTW, Bluetooth was standard feature (not part of IRIS option) and it still does not work properly even today in my car. :mad:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I find the notion that spending £200k on a car can deliver 'free' components is a nonsense...........the only way to acquire Iris is to purchase the car!

You are most certainly not alone Kevin. This whole thing infuriates me.

I don't care whether it was 'paid for' via an options list or not; it doesn't work properly, that's the bottom line. I've been told by McLaren there will be no further investment in or development of Iris. It's fitted to the car, it should work properly. What's to stop me and others taking it back, time after time as a warranty issue? Generally because we haven't got the time or inclination and McLaren know that.

The fact that some people are getting excited because McLaren are allowing them to pay for a new system (yes, re-read that if you like) amazes me.

You can compare this to any household item if you like (hifi, a washing machine, TV, a bloody fridge if you like, a motorbike etc etc) if you bought it and some function on it didn't work properly, whilst it was in a warranty period, you wouldn't accept it, surely.

Herrumph.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
it is actually turning advocates for the Brand into negative moaners.........just like me! It drags the Brand closer to Porsche and Ferrari........a shame given the dealer support.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
You are most certainly not alone Kevin. This whole thing infuriates me.

I don't care whether it was 'paid for' via an options list or not; it doesn't work properly, that's the bottom line. I've been told by McLaren there will be no further investment in or development of Iris. It's fitted to the car, it should work properly. What's to stop me and others taking it back, time after time as a warranty issue? Generally because we haven't got the time or inclination and McLaren know that.

The fact that some people are getting excited because McLaren are allowing them to pay for a new system (yes, re-read that if you like) amazes me.

You can compare this to any household item if you like (hifi, a washing machine, TV, a bloody fridge if you like, a motorbike etc etc) if you bought it and some function on it didn't work properly, whilst it was in a warranty period, you wouldn't accept it, surely.

Herrumph.
I certainly don't see it that way whatsoever.

Do you read consumer reports?

Does every item that doesn't get the highest report get returned?

It all comes down to you knew it going in you dealt with it you accepted it.

You can't order eat devour a steak and afterwards state it wasn't cooked correctly then ask for another at no charge.

It's not a lot of money - 1%.

Did you accept the free hp upgrade?

Would you prefer they go back and charge you 10,000.00 for that upgrade as I know what it takes to gain power and 10,000.00 under warranty is the deal of the century.

The entire system is not defective - parts of it perhaps but that's why they are doing what they are doing ... geez an iphone is 500.00 and millions of people upgrade those continually ... beyond confused :rolleyes: Apple has been doing this for years but when Mclaren does it ... again it's 1% I think perspective is key as we all pay 35% in taxes and look what that gets you :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I certainly don't see it that way whatsoever.

Do you read consumer reports?

Does every item that doesn't get the highest report get returned?

It all comes down to you knew it going in you dealt with it you accepted it.

You can't order eat devour a steak and afterwards state it wasn't cooked correctly then ask for another at no charge.

It's not a lot of money - 1%.

Did you accept the free hp upgrade?

Would you prefer they go back and charge you 10,000.00 for that upgrade as I know what it takes to gain power and 10,000.00 under warranty is the deal of the century.

The entire system is not defective - parts of it perhaps but that's why they are doing what they are doing ... geez an iphone is 500.00 and millions of people upgrade those continually ... beyond confused :rolleyes: Apple has been doing this for years but when Mclaren does it ... again it's 1% I think perspective is key as we all pay 35% in taxes and look what that gets you :)

I think it is a question of degree.

Those of us that were early adopters took on , largely, in good faith that Mclaren would deliver on their offer and specs and they did on many fronts. However they missed the mark with Iris as it was missing many of the features that were described as fundamental and also what was delivered did not work reliably.

Now, if they had said at the outset that Iris would not be delivered then we could have delayed our orders and waited until the product was ready for consumption. We would have paid the same purchase price.

But we were not told that we would get a 'still in development ' product.

Some of us have had our cars back at Mclaren for various warranty work totaling many weeks without our car and have not received , nor asked for ,compensation.........thus there seems a lack of equity with regard to Iris.

The hp upgrade was part of the purchase package offered ,for the lifetime of the model, if future iterations were improved. So again I had to spend £200k to enjoy that ownership feature........maybe a churlish point but a fact!

I can not fault the dealer or Mclaren on their combined approach to support other than lack of compensation for the many weeks of the cars absence. Iris functionality and lack of reliability is the exception.

Would I recommend Mclaren......yes. Would I buy another Mclaren, yes but........

·
Registered
173 Posts

Those of us that were early adopters took on , largely, in good faith that Mclaren would deliver on their offer and specs and they did on many fronts. However they missed the mark with Iris as it was missing many of the features that were described as fundamental and also what was delivered did not work reliably.

Now, if they had said at the outset that Iris would not be delivered then we could have delayed our orders and waited until the product was ready for consumption. We would have paid the same purchase price.

Some of us have had our cars back at Mclaren for various warranty work totaling many weeks without our car and have received , nor asked for ,compensation.........thus there seems a lack of equity with regard to Iris.

The hp upgrade was part of the purchase package offered ,as a lifetime of the model, spec
uprade if future iteration were improved. So again I had to spend £200k to enjoy that ownership feature........maybe a churlish point but a fact!

I can not fault the dealer or Mclaren on their combined approach to support other than lack of compensation for the many weeks of the cars absence. Iris functionality and lack of reliability is the exception.

Would I recommend Mclaren......yes. Would I buy another Mclaren, yes but........
I am in total agreement ...+1

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts

Some of us have had our cars back at Mclaren for various warranty work totaling many weeks without our car and have not received , nor asked for ,compensation.........thus there seems a lack of equity with regard to Iris.

The hp upgrade was part of the purchase package offered ,for the lifetime of the model, if future iterations were improved. So again I had to spend £200k to enjoy that ownership feature........maybe a churlish point but a fact!

Very fairly stated.

But let's put it into perspective.

Ferrari builds a new model - when it's production nears the end is it the same Ferrari as the first one that left the line.

Not even close ... all the bugs are worked out transmissions upgraded along with 10's of other upgrades.

Does every Ferrari owner go back - no it's the cost of being the first on the block.

Assuming this isn't your first car ever purchased - can you honestly tell me you expected an early car to get all these upgrades - let alone was going to be as good as the same model at the end of production.

For 3500.00 - Mclaren is being more than generous ... and if that's not good enough tell me one Ferrari upgrade that has ever been done that would prevent a fire.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Champagne. I did not buy a Ferrari. Like them. But McLaren is better so they say. I'm a believer, honest.

I think the issue for me is that Mclaren claimed performance and features at a high level , unlike Ferrari, but did not deliver .

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Champagne. I did not buy a Ferrari. Like them. But McLaren is better so they say. I'm a believer, honest.

I think the issue for me is that Mclaren claimed performance and features at a high level , unlike Ferrari, but did not deliver .
You are a tough cookie :) and I understand.

To be 100% honest Ferrari really rained on my exotic car world that was later saved by Mclaren.

So for me wearing different shoes than you - it's just my perspective and more than respect yours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts