McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having pretty much driven the pants off my car, I thought it was best that after covering 10K miles in as many months that I gave the car a little bit of TLC..
now I am the last of the great cleaners -not, so I got in contact with Drew at depth of shine.
Some will already know Drew and I had met him at the local dealership a few times incluing the breakfast meet, that and have heard good things about his work and he seems to have the passion for out Mclarens.
The photos were taken by Drew but I already knew the damage ;) well thought I did!!

He was on the car for a good couple of days and made an excellent job of my car, hard work for him as it is peppered in stone chips, so I had a bit of sympathy for him in the fact that I'm sure all detailers want to end up with an amazing looking car.
I was quite astounded how good he did get the car back into shape with the paintwork and the car certainly gleamed at Wilton.
I'm going to continue to use the car as intended, so I doubt it will ever look this clean again until next time I book him....:)
Yes, I'll certainly book Drew again as for day to day the car is so much easier to clean, it is money that some people find hard to spend but with the dirt almost falling off the car- which is a bonus for me :D I can almost say it was good value and an investment in my time.

It was great to see the car almost back to showroom condition (probably better actually;) )
Proudly wearing its battle scars from the years adventures.

He took a fair few photos, some which I've included here but one that came out amazingly which wasn't actually about the paintwork but he noticed this whilst moving the car - :cool: how cool. even if I do say so..:D - before he started the paint.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Gary, amazing transformation and looks the biz.

I thought you were trying your best to strip the paint off around the Ring and on the way back!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary, amazing transformation and looks the biz.

I thought you were trying your best to strip the paint off around the Ring and on the way back!
:D I was trying my best
I think I was using my brakes too much - the spoiler/air brake even had splattered flies on it :eek: :rolleyes:

I've found that the blue sharpie pen is a perfect colour match - well in my eyes anyhow :p

·
Banned
111 Posts
Here are few more pics of the car it was given a single stage machine polish and protected with Gtechniq EXO this will also coat the stone chip film and make it hydrophobic along with all plastics in engine bay, windows and diffuser, splitter and all other surfaces.

Once the car is coated this will keep it looking best and should still look good if a regular maintenance wash is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTrlAnUggLE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Drew,

I hope you are ok with me asking this... but you basically are begging for it with these pictures... :/

The before and after pictures of the airbreak do look like an awesome change, but the lighting is also COMPLETELY different. As it is with all other before and after shots and the after shots usually being less close-up.

I am not saying you did this on purpose, but to really judge (and as you know, we talked and I am highly interested in your services for all my cars), it would require pictures that are made in the same lighting, same position and same close-up for before and after. Do you have better matching after pictures to the before ones?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fabian
I'll let Drew answer for himself but I'd certainly say the difference on the airbrake was certainly that much to even from my naked eye looking at it. you want to see the amount of stone chips on it!!

Whilst I agree that many of the shots I've seen do follow the schedule you mention I know on the day Drew came to mine the weather was 'inclement' and day one was thunder and lightening, so no option but to do the work indoors- certainly not staged in this instance

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Do be aware that a polished air brake reduces effectiveness. Gary was braking very early on the Ring:D

·
Banned
111 Posts
Drew,

I hope you are ok with me asking this... but you basically are begging for it with these pictures... :/

The before and after pictures of the airbreak do look like an awesome change, but the lighting is also COMPLETELY different. As it is with all other before and after shots and the after shots usually being less close-up.

I am not saying you did this on purpose, but to really judge (and as you know, we talked and I am highly interested in your services for all my cars), it would require pictures that are made in the same lighting, same position and same close-up for before and after. Do you have better matching after pictures to the before ones?
This may get a bit off topic so ill keep it short for FTYL and maybe do another thread, i approach each car different and try to get as much info as possible like had it been detailed before or painted etc and the level of finish the customers after. With Garys car been used so was more about protection, so a enrichment detail was the booked this consisted in removing embedded contaminates and given a single stage machine polish to remove light swirl marks and protected with EXO coating. Its hard to do a 50/50. I just get the car polished and move round the car so dont set the camera up for art shots all the time, the rear spoiler had deep scratches and was machined polished and a few RandomDeepScratches left but only could be seen if you know what your were looking at and caught it in the right light. This is were a balance comes to get the desired finish the customers after, the polishes i use are water based with no fillers so what you see is the true finish and they also have a rounding effect so when light hits the edge of the scratch its reflected away from you making it hard to see deep swirls and safer than removing lots of clear coat.

Depending on the car and history you need to find a balance as most manufactures refinish the cars to different levels and with the environmental impact only use enough clear coat as they need. I also have lots of information from the manufactures regarding there individual paint process and procedures for refinishing etc so this also help when inspecting a car.

For example the difference between Mclaren and Ferrari is quite dramatic as the cars as McLaren will be hand finished with using Akzo noble paint and Ferrari with Glasurit with limited refinishing hence the heavy orange peel.

I hope this helps a little and can email you more info if you PM me, 50/50 shots are good for showing dramatic differences but also a nice portfolio and building the trust of customers and me doing the work to best of my ability and knowing what finish your after.

Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
does this techniq really last 2 years?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts