McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we feel that this is best dealt with, Instead of the never seen before discounts on new or almost new cars, would it not be better just to realign the price with what the market is saying with regard to Brand value, not unlike they have done in other markets.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The disparity between the RR price and the actual discounted sale price, is ridiculous . Taking into account that the 12c is an absolutely astonishing car, from a driving prospective. The only reason for this pricing issue IMHO is Brand Value, Look at R Rover. the product is absolutely crap. And yet due to the brand it enjoys record sales year after year.

There has to be some sort of factory support to the retailer. I take it that McLaren make there buck, when the car is sold to the retailer, they get paid as soon as the car is delivered. It is the retailer that has to take the hit on the actual sale price. Not sure how long they are going to put up with this, their business model must have gone out of the window a long time ago.

looking to get back into a 12c over the next few months, and have been offered some astonishing discounts. Not just me, it the same around the world. Taking into account that the stitch up, IRIS system is now or very soon to be sorted. I can not understand as to why they just do not align the price with what the market is dictating to the dealers. and just hold firm.

Trying to protect the Brand with a false retail price is just delusional.

IMHO

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do I think, first stop taking customers for fools...we are not idiots. The 1st thing is to fix the nav that we all paid for FOC,

Then have the balls to man up, as it were and announce a price alignment. I have no idea as to what % for different markets, this will enable the retailers to get there business model back on track, i.e. making the profits to support the product, at present their investment must resemble a ponzi scheme . IMHO

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Yeah it's a toughy. I personally didn't pay for iris but if I had I wouldn't want to pay for it again.. If I had paid part I wonder if I would be willing to top up... Ultimately I guess it comes down to resale and those cars that haven't had the upgrade will be discounted by that amount...

As for realignment. That's even more tough. Everyone who bought one has taken a bath for sure.. But also what ramifications for p13. Also whilst I prefer not to lose money if avoidable I have resigned myself to my 12c being worth what's it's worth now (not sayin I enjoy it more but there's definitively a feeling of might as well enjoy it to the max..) if they offically announce a discount thn what does that do to residuals further. I would hope not a lot, but there's a risk.

They got the pricing wrong to begin without question but that's a bit of hindsight. I agree the dealers must be hurting also. I am not sure whether realignment works though. The main stream market hasn't realigned despite the fact you can easily get 30-40 % off new which equally are not advertised but you only have to ask. So perhaps they just continue to offer discounts for those that are determined to drive a bargain and occasionally sell one at list. But I agree it's difficult to get people through the door on that basis..

I would love to see them drop the prices. Options too.. Cos I do see us buying another 12c, just not in the next two to three years. It would give more confidence to everyone.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point M. they have to sort this pricing issue out, The retailers must be getting factory support on an individual basis. Why would they keep selling new cars at a loss.

This absurd % under table discount trick as set out above is really amateurish, although on reflection in keeping with the complete debacle of the IRIS system, not something I would have expected from McLaren

The problem now is that they have a lot of unhappy owners, that would have traded up to newer model.

They should not launch the P13 until they sort out this pricing problem. It has the potential to sit no mans lands. ie the Porsche GT3 will out perform it all areas, along with Turbo S. Having said this it looks like the 100k GT3 will at the very least stand its ground along side the 12C.....

IMHO

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Mike, 40% off new? $120k off a $300k car!!!??? Really!!!??? I thought you could get maybe 10%
John sorry. Misleading. I meant mainstream market. I.e your bmw, fiats and vw in Europe for example bcertainly not McLaren. Apols

·
Registered
208 Posts
what do I think, first stop taking customers for fools...we are not idiots. The 1st thing is to fix the nav that we all paid for FOC,

Then have the balls to man up, as it were and announce a price alignment. I have no idea as to what % for different markets, this will enable the retailers to get there business model back on track, i.e. making the profits to support the product, at present their investment must resemble a ponzi scheme . IMHO
Thats the whole point, they do think we are idiots ! They have sold a product that in certain areas is not as promised, now they want to charge to get it some where near the level it should have been. The price point has been set to high and Mclaren don't give a dam, the market is saying 10-20% lower in the UK minimum and I don't see many queues outside the showrooms at present levels, Ferrari have built up a mystique over many years so that if they announced a Ferrari wheelbarrow with Scuderia shields it would have a queue of people money in hand ready to pay over the odds for it. Mclaren have not built this brand desirability yet so need to build that before demanding a premium product price. If they put their hands up, said we are to reduce prices by say 10% and compensate existing owners that would blow the market away, It would show that they are in it for the long haul and they truly want to build a loyal following. There are not many owners who bought new who will buy another new Mclaren most will let others suffer the depreciation first and buy a year old model, this means at present Mclaren need to keep finding new customers willing to loose 25% first year so that they can continue their dream of building road cars to an out dated business plan drawn up in a different economic cycle

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah how many more times is this going to be discussed, it's really becoming a bore and a drag??. If your not happy with the freaking car or what you think are short comings just get rid if it and yes most cars do depreciate by 25% did you think you bought a McLaren F1 LMFAO??. Blah, blah Cheers.....??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah how many more times is this going to be discussed, it's really becoming a bore and a drag����. If your not happy with the freaking car or what you think are short comings just get rid if it and yes most cars do depreciate by 25% did you think you bought a McLaren F1 LMFAO����. Blah, blah Cheers.....����
When Mclaren come good on their promises made prior to my purchase I may well stop talking about it. If your happy to have the arse ripped out of your wallet so be it, but here in the UK when a respected company promises something we expect it to deliver, Mclaren have so far not delivered on it's promises and don't seem to care
If your not bothered don't read or reply to posts, in a democracy we are all entitled to voice our opinion

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The only reason for this pricing issue IMHO is Brand Value, Look at R Rover. the product is absolutely crap. And yet due to the brand it enjoys record sales

IMHO
I've had far fewer problems with my Range Rover than my 12c, and I've not had many with that either. Love RRs, just waiting on my 2014 HSE SC.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This has a distinct smell that we have all been PLAYED, BIG TIME
But you're still in the game looking for your third 12C? No wonder you've been soaked!

Your 991 GT3 should be a better bet £££ wise even if its slower. I'm looking forward to mine!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well keep on talking about the negative aspects and the false promises blah, blah, blah and the impact that will have on the value of your vehicle. As I may have mentioned in the past no one put a gun to your head to buy the car did they. If your that unhappy with your purchase the easy solution would be to get rid of it. As for the arse end of things there is a lot to be said about that, butt I won't blah, blah. Cheers....??

·
Owner
544 Posts
Thats the whole point, they do think we are idiots ! They have sold a product that in certain areas is not as promised, now they want to charge to get it some where near the level it should have been. The price point has been set to high and Mclaren don't give a dam, the market is saying 10-20% lower in the UK minimum and I don't see many queues outside the showrooms at present levels, Ferrari have built up a mystique over many years so that if they announced a Ferrari wheelbarrow with Scuderia shields it would have a queue of people money in hand ready to pay over the odds for it. Mclaren have not built this brand desirability yet so need to build that before demanding a premium product price. If they put their hands up, said we are to reduce prices by say 10% and compensate existing owners that would blow the market away, It would show that they are in it for the long haul and they truly want to build a loyal following. There are not many owners who bought new who will buy another new Mclaren most will let others suffer the depreciation first and buy a year old model, this means at present Mclaren need to keep finding new customers willing to loose 25% first year so that they can continue their dream of building road cars to an out dated business plan drawn up in a different economic cycle
Very good point about current owners not buying new again. Especially sad as those of us who bought new did so before the market took its view and discounted the car 20% overnight.....who is going to buy new in the future?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Very good point about current owners not buying new again. Especially sad as those of us who bought new did so before the market took its view and discounted the car 20% overnight.....who is going to buy new in the future?
Even more so with yet another week and yet another depreciation thread on here :(
If I had read this forum before buying, then maybe I'd of thought twice about buying and hey presto! another car not sold...

Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy and assist in wrecking residuals...:eek:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts