McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how loud 12c with standard exhaust is please ? I have a chance to take it to the Goodwood track and I believe the stationary 3/4 throttle limit is 98db .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Anyone know how loud 12c with standard exhaust is please ? I have a chance to take it to the Goodwood track and I believe the stationary 3/4 throttle limit is 98db .
You should be OK at Goodwood as Mclaren run corporate days there for our American friends
I know sports exhaust is 106Db I'm sure standard is 98Db important to noise test in Track /Track on active control for some reason

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Yes doom I was at one of those McLaren events and I don't remember any remarks about noise limits. I think the cars had sport exhaust, too, but not sure about that. We landed the airplane in the infield so can't imagine the tolerance is so low?

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goodwood is only 98 db and the track day is different from the official mckaren events , I suspect they fall on " loud days "
It's a long way to go and be turned away :(

·
Registered
477 Posts
When are you going i live about 30 miles away i may drop in to watch. :):):):):)

·
Smitten
285 Posts
I asked Bedford Autodrome guys and got this reply, I'm guessing it was standard exhausts:

"We have had two McLaren MP4-12C on track days they measure around 102.4db on static (fail).
On drive by as long as all sports buttons etc are left turned off and dependent of driving style they measure around the 84 to 86db range, so are good to go but they do have to be driven with the noise issue taken into account."

McLaren Birmingham told me this from back in the day
"Sports Exhaust is 102db stationary at 3750 rpm
Drive by 73.7db but it doesn’t say in what circumstance on the certificate of conformity"

Guessing that the 73db figure for drive by with a sports exhaust must have been in 7th at >2000rpm ;)

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I asked Bedford Autodrome guys and got this reply, I'm guessing it was standard exhausts:

"We have had two McLaren MP4-12C on track days they measure around 102.4db on static (fail).
On drive by as long as all sports buttons etc are left turned off and dependent of driving style they measure around the 84 to 86db range, so are good to go but they do have to be driven with the noise issue taken into account."

McLaren Birmingham told me this from back in the day
"Sports Exhaust is 102db stationary at 3750 rpm
Drive by 73.7db but it doesn’t say in what circumstance on the certificate of conformity"

Guessing that the 73db figure for drive by with a sports exhaust must have been in 7th at >2000rpm ;)
I was one of the Bedford culprits and what you say it correct. I let off the power on the long straight but still was going fast enough not to worry about not maxing MP4's ability. Makes no difference turning the active Sports/Track on off for outside noise. BTW Mine was with the sports exhaust.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was one of the Bedford culprits and what you say it correct. I let off the power on the long straight but still was going fast enough not to worry about not maxing MP4's ability. Makes no difference turning the active Sports/Track on off for outside noise. BTW Mine was with the sports exhaust.
Bedford are a paranoid lot with noise, only track I have been tested at the gate before entering, they were turning cars away that failed no arguments. What do the locals think they will hear if you buy a house near a race track/ airport. Don't know what it is about the active buttons but London said you needed Track/Track to pass at C Combe

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the sport exhaust and ran at Laguna Seca (92dB) all day without getting kicked off. Just know where the sound check is and lift just before hand ;)

If it's a pre-track check, best of luck!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the sport exhaust and ran at Laguna Seca (92dB) all day without getting kicked off. Just know where the sound check is and lift just before hand ;)

If it's a pre-track check, best of luck!
Standard exhaust passes 92db sound check at Laguna Seca even if you accelerate hard out of turn 5 past the sound check booth. You should be golden at Goodwood with a 98db limit.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everything gents unfortunately due to a strange mix of jet lag , rain , laziness and sloth I missed it ...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Completely understand.........love the idea of sloth, my wife is troubled by sloth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Standard exhaust passes 92db sound check at Laguna Seca even if you accelerate hard out of turn 5 past the sound check booth. You should be golden at Goodwood with a 98db limit.
Thanks for the info. will do Laguna soon with no worries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts