McLaren Life banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one was to start building a relationship with their local McLaren dealership, would having one of their cars get PPI’d by a third party (like McMedics) compromise that? Would it make the dealership feel you don’t trust them? Does it even matter?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If a dealer would not respect a third part evaluation, its not a dealership i would want to deal with. It’s not about trust, as even the most trust worthy dealership miss things. Dealerships are a business that run on profit. I feel i am a business that needs to do my own due diligence and protect my own interest. Dealerships should respect that.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly wouldn't trust the dealer to do a PPI! Huge conflict of interest.
Of course, that isn’t what I was asking though. Let’s say I wanted to build a relationship with McLaren North Jersey. They have a really nice used 675LTS for sale currently. If I planned on buying multiple vehicles from them down the road, should I just go in and trust them? My inclination would be to fly Sean or Kevin in and have them do a PPI, but how would that affect my future purchases with them, if at all?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Of course, that isn’t what I was asking though. Let’s say I wanted to build a relationship with McLaren North Jersey. They have a really nice used 675LTS for sale currently. If I planned on buying multiple vehicles from them down the road, should I just go in and trust them? My inclination would be to fly Sean or Kevin in and have them do a PPI, but how would that affect my future purchases with them, if at all?
I had Kevin go to McLaren ATL and they didn't seem to have any issues with my 3rd party PPI. I have been back to them a few times since and they remain top notch. I think it depends on the dealership. Not convinced that Charlotte would be as classy as the Atlanta folks. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Unless you're buying new cars, the chances of a particular dealer having the car you want next time round is slim. There's also a difference between a sales relationship and a service relationship....

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you're buying new cars, the chances of a particular dealer having the car you want next time round is slim. There's also a difference between a sales relationship and a service relationship....
I see what you are saying. I wonder how the service dept would view a third party PPI.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I messaged you

2012 MP4-12C
2,727 Posts
I've done PPI's at a few McLaren dealers. They all welcomed a third party inspection with the exception of Tampa who said they already inspected it and was a waste of money (who ultimately allowed it anyway and lead to the buyer passing on the car as a result of my inspection knowing what they already inspected and found) and Charlotte who multiple times has said they will not allow an inspection.

In all cases but Charlotte the general response from the sales team is they want the customer to feel good about their purchase so they want them to do whatever makes them feel good about it. That includes having whomever they want do a PPI. When anything is found, they're generally receptive to making it right one way or another.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If a dealer would not respect a third part evaluation, its not a dealership i would want to deal with. It’s not about trust, as even the most trust worthy dealership miss things. Dealerships are a business that run on profit. I feel i am a business that needs to do my own due diligence and protect my own interest. Dealerships should respect that.
Dealerships want provenance for their cars. That means hopefully they will sell the car at least twice! If they do all service and spares etc. they will give you a slightly better trade in price but only when they sell you another new one. Then it is easy for to guarantee the car for the New Owner. This especially beneficial to them when they have to provide an out of warranty, warranty for the second user. Now if you buy and keep a McLaren & have it service by them then if you ask for an extended warranty, no problem. But if someone else has put a spanner on it they will charge an arm & a leg for a pre warranty inspection. If is suitable then they give you a price, that is only valid for that day!!!! More Profit to them. Ferrari go a different route, the first owner from new pays for 7 years servicing at any Ferrari dealer. That means you would be stupid to go anywhere else. So after three years you want to sell this car. You sell it with 4 years Ferrari Servicing free of charge in the price. If the buyer feels a bit iffy and is over cautious. Just send him along to your dealer who will have chapter and verse and is much, much better than you at selling £200K + second hand cars!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts