McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm still on the hunt for a 2012 couple and seem to be closing in on my quary. I found what I think is a good deal on a nicely specced, low mileage car. It's got's all the options that are on my wish list (my preferred color, ceramic brakes, super-lightweight wheels, sport exhaust, etc.). However, I just noticed that it doesn't have the electric & heated memory seats (a $3k option).

Now, I have been searching for quite some time and have never encountered one without this option. Is this a must have option? Is it a deal breaker? Does anyone know how the two different types of seats compare?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
Jay Leno ordered his 12C without the power/memory seats. I bought a used 2012 coupe that has them. I didn't think it a big deal at first, but I really like the memory feature b/c it makes getting in and out much easier. The "comfort entry" feature whereby the seat slides back to its furthest position from the steering wheel whenever you open the door, and then goes back to its prior position when you pull back on the left stalk after reentering the car makes getting in and out much easier.

That all said, I think they're way less important than some other considerations like color and condition.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The seats are the single heaviest option. So who ever spec'd the car, they were going for the lightest spec.

I LOVE the seat memory. My gf likes the heated seats as the weather gets chilly. It's a very subjective thing. Could I live without the option. Yup. Would I get annoyed trying to zero in my seat every time the fellas wash the car. Yup. Would it be a big deal. Nope.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My 2014 spider has manual seats and I prefer them to the electric seats. I'm short so I have to move the seat up to drive and back to get out. The power seats were a bit slow. I do miss the heated seats though. Either way would not be a deal breaker for me, just do it!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. It seems the consensus is that the manual seats are not a deal breaker!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm still on the hunt for a 2012 couple and seem to be closing in on my quary. I found what I think is a good deal on a nicely specced, low mileage car. It's got's all the options that are on my wish list (my preferred color, ceramic brakes, super-lightweight wheels, sport exhaust, etc.). However, I just noticed that it doesn't have the electric & heated memory seats (a $3k option).

Now, I have been searching for quite some time and have never encountered one without this option. Is this a must have option? Is it a deal breaker? Does anyone know how the two different types of seats compare?

Thanks,

Mike

I think manual seats still have electric height adjustment........

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ric, yes the electrics do have height adjustment. I assumed the manual ones do too. For me, this might be a deal breaker as I like to get the seat as low as possible, and angle the thigh support up a bit. Super comfy (more equally distributing your weight away from just your rump), and keeps you in your seat with spirited driving.

I think the best thing to do is just sit in the manual seats and see if they feel comfy. As long as they do, an you can dial them in to feeling good, that's all that really counts.

But without height adjustment, I could see it being a problem for a few. (although you can often make up for lack of height adjustment with lean angle to some degree (back to compensate for lack of lowering, and vice versa).

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2012 coupe with manual seats. I originally ordered them that way because I'm the only one driving the car and really didn't have any interest in the warmers. But since then I've sat in a number of power seat optioned cars and noticed a couple of things: The manual seats seem to be able to adjust lower (they do have power height adjustment) and they also do not seem as hard as the power seats. The latter is not that perceptible and perhaps in my mind, but my dealer also had a similar observation. My guess is that there is a motor or other stuff under the seat for the power seats and that prevents the cushion from sinking down as far either when you are sitting in it or adjusting it. For me the extra comfort is nice, though not that noticeable, but the 1/2 inch or so deeper height adjustment makes a big difference since I'm rather tall.

...that said I've done no scientific analysis. Just a "seat of the pants" analysis...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks JIM. That's good to know. The extra lowness would probably be more important to me than the memory (though I like the memory). So I think that should clinch it as not a deal breaker, and in many ways better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I was speccing it was mentioned that manual seats do go a little lower but I can't live without heated seats having a bad back :eek: At 6ft 1 I still have enough headroom to wear a helmet with the heated seats

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
For me the most important part of the electric seats is the easy entry. That honestly in my opinion helps a lot. If I had to move the seat manually each time and getting into the right position, that would annoy me.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Manual for me,so much lighter and the single biggest weight saving you can get,but you have to be a good driver to make any difference on a track.So it was the Yorkshireman inside me that hates throwing money away on something I would only use once.Thats because im a short arse in the vertically challenged mode and never have a problem jumping in and out ..........

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
much better driving position in a car with out elec seats. You sit lower( no motor) and the back rest goes back more on the recline...

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Manual = cheaper (spend the saving on carbon fibre), faster, lower.

About the only 'must haves' I reckon are Doris 2.0 and the power upgrade.
Maybe sports exhaust
Probably should have some carbon going on somewhere
Rest is taste and intended use.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I have a 2012 coupe with manual seats. I originally ordered them that way because I'm the only one driving the car and really didn't have any interest in the warmers. But since then I've sat in a number of power seat optioned cars and noticed a couple of things: The manual seats seem to be able to adjust lower (they do have power height adjustment) and they also do not seem as hard as the power seats. The latter is not that perceptible and perhaps in my mind, but my dealer also had a similar observation. My guess is that there is a motor or other stuff under the seat for the power seats and that prevents the cushion from sinking down as far either when you are sitting in it or adjusting it. For me the extra comfort is nice, though not that noticeable, but the 1/2 inch or so deeper height adjustment makes a big difference since I'm rather tall.

...that said I've done no scientific analysis. Just a "seat of the pants" analysis...
I wish mine didn't have electric seats.

That half inch makes a big difference - when I was looking at 430's went with the 16M so I didn't have look at the visor or maybe it helped me justify the purchase ... one would think that I learned but when the Mac was delivered it was my first time sitting in one.

Still hoping for P1 seats :)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I wish mine didn't have electric seats.

That half inch makes a big difference - when I was looking at 430's went with the 16M so I didn't have look at the visor or maybe it helped me justify the purchase ... one would think that I learned but when the Mac was delivered it was my first time sitting in one.

Still hoping for P1 seats :)
astonishing we agree on something Doug.... lol......In a car with elec seats you sit on the seat, with the M seat you sit in the seat.

On a SP with elec seats they are really uncomfortable due to not only the height, but also due to difference in the rear bulk head to the coupe, the back rest is really restricted

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm completely happy with the manual seat, in a car like this there is really no need for it. On top of which I'm the only one who drives it, and as mentioned the weight saving to me is of importance. The minimal cost saving just meant spending elsewhere on this little beast of a car. Cheers....??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts