McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good experiences with a good dash cam (maybe one that can do front/rear and maybe even act as a rear view camera?

My use would be for the track. It would be great to have 2 camera view of front and back.

Thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
GoPro seem very popular.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
BTW, what's nice about this is it has sensors. So it tracks your GPS location, g-forces and any "events". Events would be if the car was hit. I'm guessing accelerometers. Also, the cameras can be controlled via your iPhone and you can just copy the video from the camera to your iPhone via WiFi if you like. All this in addition to the front and rear cameras.

It detects when you park, drive normally, and Events. It will write out continuously , and lock any files that were "events."

This video shows the previous versions with some more details. The newer version just refines everything and adds the rear view camera.

Has anyone tried these?

·
Registered
907 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
So, this is likely beyond really being related other than the fact that it looks like some of the video was shot with a GoPro, but it's pretty funny... Also, it does speak to the quality of the image you can get being the video overall flips between GoPro and full blown TV Production cameras... You could also argue I'm just reaching for a reason to post this video...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fiks, thats great. I think it looks way better than a Go Pro, way better in that the sensors activate on stuff. Just way better all around.

Can you tell me how you have it wired into the 12C? Do you have it permanently wired to a power source. It looks like you have the 500 so guessing you don't have the rear camera? I'm curious if it's possible to wire it stealthily so you don't see anything in the cabin and how much of an effect is has on the car battery (since it monitors the car even when you park it for a while).

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,696 Posts
BTW, what's nice about this is it has sensors. So it tracks your GPS location, g-forces and any "events". Events would be if the car was hit. I'm guessing accelerometers. Also, the cameras can be controlled via your iPhone and you can just copy the video from the camera to your iPhone via WiFi if you like. All this in addition to the front and rear cameras.

It detects when you park, drive normally, and Events. It will write out continuously , and lock any files that were "events."

This video shows the previous versions with some more details. The newer version just refines everything and adds the rear view camera.

Has anyone tried these?

I have a Chasecam set up that works well. However it is more of a race than road system.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boxer, do you use this blackvue device for chase, or do you have a second go pro or something like that?

What I like about the looks of this system is I can see it being useful for both regular and track use.

·
Registered
907 Posts
sample vid from the blackvue

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Boxer.

Fik, you live in a sporty neighborhood. Chargers, Corvettes and Mclarens seem to be the only cars. I think I need to move there! :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
my friend came over when I first got the 12C and took it out for a drive, right out side my development we run up next to a yellow 458 and it was on... he beat the 458 with just 2 minutes of experience with the 12C... :)

Thanks Boxer.

Fik, you live in a sporty neighborhood. Chargers, Corvettes and Mclarens seem to be the only cars. I think I need to move there! :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my friend came over when I first got the 12C and took it out for a drive, right out side my development we run up next to a yellow 458 and it was on... he beat the 458 with just 2 minutes of experience with the 12C... :)
And this is why you need a dash cam running at all times! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey jkheit, I read your post for Ultimate track and dash cams and found that you already started a thread for suggestion of rear cameras and dash cameras over here. I am talking from my personal experience, the most quality backup camera that I got is from tadi brothers and wanted to suggest you the same . They've also got some nice dash cams. I don't know whether your purpose for using it as both will be solved or not. You could speak to one of the representatives over there and they would be of help to you as their customer service is good. Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any good experiences with a good dash cam (maybe one that can do front/rear and maybe even act as a rear view camera?

My use would be for the track. It would be great to have 2 camera view of front and back.

Thanks for any suggestions...
For recording the front and back of the vehicle, it is suggested to have a dual-lens dash camera like this one: http://www.szswill.com/car-dvr-camera/car-black-box-cvr007.html For this camera, the front camera can record HD720P video and the back camera record in VGA format.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts