1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Here are videos of my dash rattle, also getting rattle behind driver's seat somewhere close to side window. More pronounced / unbearable at 4k RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax1CJx4iMSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX1JjAtXzV4
I've listen to it and it sounds like plastic on plastic, so have you tried placing your hand firmly on the vent at 4k. Another thing you may want to try is sticking your finger in the vent, and see if the sound persists. Then I would continue doing grasping/holding thing with all of the plastic type components in the area of concern until you've located the problem. Good luck Mark with all that. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
289 Posts
Grounding issue?

Great video recording!;)

It sounds kinda electrostatic to me:confused:... I am not sure but it could be the left side speakers picking up the 'frequency' in the engine revs/rpms because of a possible minor grounding issue.:confused::rolleyes:

The 12C is build on a carbon tub chassis, so excellent grounding points are few, far and between.:eek:

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Never heard that before,thankfully must just be isolated to your car Mark,as Ken and RC have suggested it could be numerous things,but most likely an easy fix,just a shame the dealership is so far away,i agree it would drive you nuts not to have it seen to asap:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard that before,thankfully must just be isolated to your car Mark,as Ken and RC have suggested it could be numerous things,but most likely an easy fix,just a shame the dealership is so far away,i agree it would drive you nuts not to have it seen to asap:)
Thing that pisses me off is I have had it day 1. No way that could have been missed by previous owner or the Dealership. It is not "electrostatic" it is a rattle, and the vibration from the engine hitting those certain RPM makes it more pronounced.

Hopefully it will be fixed, and I will have the car back around the end of May.

·
Owner
893 Posts
That, in your video, is sympathetic resonance. Some object inside the dash.... a wire or a module is reacting to the car's external vibrations (4000rpm is it's harmonic level).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That, in your video, is sympathetic resonance. Some object inside the dash.... a wire or a module is reacting to the car's external vibrations (4000rpm is it's harmonic level).
Boy oh boy that sounds like someone who knows what he's talking about as well probably lived through. Well done LimeyBloke.?? Cheers.....??

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Great description Limey,just its not being very sympathetic to Mark!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
To me it sounds as if something through the speakers

·
Owner
893 Posts
Guys,
It would be fairly easy to locate the source of this dash 'buzzing' if it weren't so difficult to access the area under the dash/steering column locale. That's even tighter than the area where I had a small dash rattle a few weeks ago, just under the passenger side airbag (which was slightly more accessible).

Belg: Is his radio even on ?? But, anything is possible ! :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Guys,
It would be fairly easy to locate the source of this dash 'buzzing' if it weren't so difficult to access the area under the dash/steering column locale. That's even tighter than the area where I had a small dash rattle a few weeks ago, just under the passenger side airbag (which was slightly more accessible).

Well it could be on a station that plays the type of music my son listens to which emulates that type of sound. I think they call it techno whatever music. LMFAO...??. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys,

Radio volume was completely turned down to 0. Guess I could turn off stereo and see if I still get it? Worth a shot. To me, it does not sound as if it's coming from the speakers, it's coming right from behind the driver's side air vent.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Radio volume was completely turned down to 0. Guess I could turn off stereo and see if I still get it? Worth a shot. To me, it does not sound as if it's coming from the speakers, it's coming right from behind the driver's side air vent.
I think if it were radio speaker (interference) you'd hear it modulate up or down with your rpms, not just have it's onset at 4k; but, anything is worth a try. :confused:
It's a shame you are so far from your dealer.:(

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stereo off no difference.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked with service and dash rattle was narrowed down to be a faulty A/C compressor. Rattle behind my head by side window was loose carbon turning vane. Things are looking up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Who could have imagined that???

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Just talked with service and dash rattle was narrowed down to be a faulty A/C compressor. Rattle behind my head by side window was loose carbon turning vane. Things are looking up.
Hey mark did this rattle noise coming from the rear ever get resolved? If so what did they do to resolve the problem. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey mark did this rattle noise coming from the rear ever get resolved? If so what did they do to resolve the problem. Cheers....����
They said it was resolved, yet drove the other day, and dash rattle above left airvent remains. Might empty everything out of the front boot, charger, accessories, etc. and see if that helps. I am still pissed! Solution, crack driver's side window one inch, and bring in more exhaust noise, rattle goes away! ;) Sometimes if I pound on the dash, you can hear something is loose, other times you can't. Totally baffling!

The rear rattle, near the side window behind driver's seat seems to come and go. It is not consistent. My GT2 has a few creaks and rattles, but warmer weather seems to cure them. Strange, but that's the way it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts