McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a rattle in the left front of dash?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Dude, please don't be an ass.
I sense a little bit of sensitivity here, it's a pretty simple question are your sure its coming from the dash. I ride on carbon fiber bicycles all the time and do you how hard it is to find out where the sound is emanating from. Some one must have pissed in your corn flakes. Remind me not to try and provide you with assistance in the future. May I suggest if its legal that you go smoke a doodie, and I'm not talking the brothers either. Lol......

·
Registered
97 Posts
The "hat-like" leather cover that covers the top of the tachometer was rattling slightly on mine. When I was in a condition that caused it to rattle, I could eliminate it by putting gentle pressure on it. Once diagnosed,I folded a small piece of paper between the leather area and the top of the tachometer and it has been rattle free since.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "hat-like" leather cover that covers the top of the tachometer was rattling slightly on mine. When I was in a condition that caused it to rattle, I could eliminate it by putting gentle pressure on it. Once diagnosed,I folded a small piece of paper between the leather area and the top of the tachometer and it has been rattle free since.
Could be coming from there, also does that in my 996 GT2 in the same place. It still sounds like it is closer to the windscreen, left of the defrost vent.

Might try your solution, but rattles on any car, let alone a 300k one drive me nuts. Cracked the window on the freeway but could still just barely hear it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quality is actually excellent for a hand made car, there are more automation in a Ferrari factory than the McLaren factory. I apply the standard I used for Italian cars and the McLaren came out pretty well, quite well known that Ferraris and Lambos don't have the best of fit and finishes, most panels don't meet quite perfectly.

My car has it's shares of little troubles, mainly my driver door don't actually unlock the first time all the time when I unlock it, I might have to swipe a second time to get it fully detached, the doors needs a good slam to close properly, the sat nav froze a couple times since I owned it and my second key wasn't actually programmed into the car's computer so it was useless. But in the grand scheme of things, if I want a perfectly made car I'd buy a Honda.

As all my Ferrari owning friends put it, the little nagging stuff is the charm of owning a hand made automobile.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quality is actually excellent for a hand made car, there are more automation in a Ferrari factory than the McLaren factory. I apply the standard I used for Italian cars and the McLaren came out pretty well, quite well known that Ferraris and Lambos don't have the best of fit and finishes, most panels don't meet quite perfectly.

My car has it's shares of little troubles, mainly my driver door don't actually unlock the first time all the time when I unlock it, I might have to swipe a second time to get it fully detached, the doors needs a good slam to close properly, the sat nav froze a couple times since I owned it and my second key wasn't actually programmed into the car's computer so it was useless. But in the grand scheme of things, if I want a perfectly made car I'd buy a Honda.

As all my Ferrari owning friends put it, the little nagging stuff is the charm of owning a hand made automobile.
Now that's what I call having a very positive outlook towards a car that I truly love, way to go Whoopsy. Two thumbs up. ??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Don't you have the new software? Can open door with remotes. Sorry, but dash rattles don't work for me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
No rattle or strange noise anymore here.
I had a noise comming from behind and couldn't find it. Finally it were those leather things to keep the seatbelt. I was so upset with this noise and angry with the workshop. I had them ckecked out the car completely for this, they even took out the triangle windows- found a small crack but the noise was the same. When I found it I felt guilty that it was such a stupid little thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had the same thing, it's an easy fix. Follow the trim on the pillar down to the corner of the windshield. If you push the trim gently you might find it loose. I wedged a small piece of microfibre in there to confirm. It was so a quick call to McLaren, a few days later a nice technician turned up and took the trim off and put in some special foam inserts. It's now as solid as the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the same thing, it's an easy fix. Follow the trim on the pillar down to the corner of the windshield. If you push the trim gently you might find it loose. I wedged a small piece of microfibre in there to confirm. It was so a quick call to McLaren, a few days later a nice technician turned up and took the trim off and put in some special foam inserts. It's now as solid as the drivers side.
Great this sounds like the issue. Will make an appointment for them to come up to Washington.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I had a rattle behind the dash, dealer fixed it during the V10 upgrade.
FYI, the leather thingie on top of the dash is held in with double-sided tape, if it looks funky after the dealer has worked on the car its because they didn't stick it down hard enough. Easy to fix

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't you have the new software? Can open door with remotes. Sorry, but dash rattles don't work for me.
Yes my doors can be opened with the remotes, but since most of the time I had the key in my pocket I rarely use it to open the door. But fingers crossed my car had no rattles.

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Any sort of dash rattle/noise/vibration is pretty impossible to diagnose online, because there's 50 different places it could be. And as mentioned, the CF tub really messes with perceptions. I had a rattle after a track day that I was 100% sure was front right, and it was a couple of pebbles that had gotten up into the radiator vent and were rattling against the tub.

I also had my control stalk (stalk beneath turn stalk) vibrate like crazy - they had to swap that out (there was a service bulletin on them).

·
Owner
893 Posts
........FYI, the leather thingie on top of the dash is held in with double-sided tape, if it looks funky after the dealer has worked on the car its because they didn't stick it down hard enough. Easy to fix
Double stick tape is a stupid attachment method for that piece ..... they should have used those plastic cone snap connectors. More solid and easy to re-fit if needed.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Looks like Markjayw was having a bad day, as your comments were very light hearted and in no way offensive. Keep on posting, as your input is much appreciated.
You know there are many ways to interpret things, and I must admit after rereading this short little comment and can understand it being misconstrued. Especially with the Lol and the end, but I enjoy poking fun once and awhile who doesn't. Thanks for your comment. Cheers.....??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts