McLaren Life banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 570s and as part of the deal, the McLaren dealer agreed to replace the original tires with Af Corsas once they had them in stock. McLaren trailered the vehicle each way and everything looked great until I looked under the front splitter and found that there was quite a bit of damage from bottoming out on something. This is unacceptable especially considering I have a front lift system. The worst part is that it is in the carbon fiber piece and appears to have gone into the weave. It appears the dealer is going to fix it, but has anyone dealt with this type of repair? Can it be repaired since it’s in the weave or should it be replaced? I am also concerned with the piece not ever fitting perfectly again assuming they have to take it off to fix it or replace it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Take a deep breath abd relax. Replacing a front air damn is a piece of cake and it will 100% for well. Also- take a protective piece and screw it to protect the front. I guarantee you this kind of rubbing will happen again- lift or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have full PPF etc scheduled for next week. Of course this happened before the protective piece was installed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks. I have full PPF etc scheduled for next week. Of course this happened before the protective piece was installed.
Life happens. Don’t let it ruin your exoerience. It’s cosmetic damage. Get it covered and fixed and move on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd be expecting a new part of it's damaged the fibre underneath any PPF. Mine had some damage underneath on one side when I bought it, the PPF had mostly protected this, but I had the underneath of the door sill painted since it's plastic.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Make sure when you pick it up that you check where the angled air deflectors from the splitter join the bumper. They're hard to refit on the 570 and often pop out, leaving a gap right at the top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure when you pick it up that you check where the angled air deflectors from the splitter join the bumper. They're hard to refit on the 570 and often pop out, leaving a gap right at the top.
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. When I had the front bumper resprayed on my 991.1 Turbo S due to rock chips from the prior owner, the bumper never fit the same and it drove me nuts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do not feel that you should "relax." It needs to be properly repaired. If the carbon fiber damage is through the clear coat, they should be replaced with new. You should also receive some form of compensation for the time you will be without your vehicle and make sure that the repair is not listed on Carfax or the pain will continue down the road at resale time.
Sh-t happens but no fun when when it happens to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not feel that you should "relax." It needs to be properly repaired. If the carbon fiber damage is through the clear coat, they should be replaced with new. You should also receive some form of compensation for the time you will be without your vehicle and make sure that the repair is not listed on Carfax or the pain will continue down the road at resale time.
Sh-t happens but no fun when when it happens to you.
I 100% agree. It’s definitely through the clear coat so back to my original question, has anyone else had experience with replacing the piece in the picture below? How is the fitment? What I don’t want to happen is for the solution to end up worse than the problem. Lastly, what do you think would be fair compensation? A year of service? Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fair compensation would be them just repairing/replacing the part... why would they give you a year of free service?
For the hassle of having to deal with the damage they caused and being without my car for who knows how long.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For the hassle of having to deal with the damage they caused and being without my car for who knows how long.
I mean the car is perfectly driveable until the part comes in and install will take about 2 hours. so you want 2k worth of service for say 6 hours of your time total between dropping it off and picking it up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean the car is perfectly driveable until the part comes in and install will take about 2 hours. so you want 2k worth of service for say 6 hours of your time total between dropping it off and picking it up?
That’s why I was asking the question. Thanks for the feedback. My dealer is about an hour away from me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is why I prefer to do the work on my cars myself. I have a laundry list of damage on the Phaeton caused by dealers. The final straw was when it took them 6 months and a new bumper cover to finally complete a timing belt change.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts