McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's not impossible. I recall a story about a German banker who claimed his F1 was a daily driver. No one believed him until the car was serviced and the CPU download revealed it had been driven for an hour at 125 miles per hour twice per day, 5 days per week. He was taking the autobahn to and from work.

Practical fellows, those Germans.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
It's not impossible. I recall a story about a German banker who claimed his F1 was a daily driver. No one believed him until the car was serviced and the CPU download revealed it had been driven for an hour at 125 miles per hour twice per day, 5 days per week. He was taking the autobahn to and from work.

We all would love that 125 mile commute, to and from work, if the autobahn was somewhere near.:D

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts

I like those types of people, makes life much more interesting and fun than to look at it like a diecast model!

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Yups- all well said on this thread. A lil' patina & wear here-&-there gives character & persona (which differs from soul... :D) to the car. Obviously, if well maintained/serviced & detailed/cared- not using it would be near criminal, speaking.parenthetically.

I'm thinking the P1 to be the most usable/livable hyper-car around. The civility & usability of the 12C alludes to such... :cool:

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts

The part about it being his daily driver was true so long as it wasn't raining, but the drive that sparked the story was a once or twice a month trip from his bank in Cologne to the stock exchange in Frankfurt - a distance of 125 miles which he could complete in one hour with the F1. This wasn't an entirely straight section of road so some areas were covered at speeds of 200-220 mph on a very frequent basis and this story was indeed verified by the factory after a check of the cars on-board computer. The driver was Dr Thomas Bscher whose name may sound familiar as he was Chairman of Bugatti Automobiles at the time the Veyron was released.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bscher also owned a F1 GTR which raced under the West colours and followed that up with a Longtail version which I believe was last at Le Mans wearing Loctite livery.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Correct - he was quite used to driving a McLaren F1 at those speeds while racing for four seasons in two different F1 GTRs he also owned. In 1995 he and John Neilsen took the overall championship win in the BPR series. Then at Le Mans in 1996 they were the highest placed F1, finishing fourth overall.

He also stated he didn't originally have any intent to purchase the F1 road car, but was convinced to do so by Ron Dennis when he inquired about purchasing his first GTR.

>8^)
ER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts