McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my favourite colour but how is it working out for those using it as a daily driver? A car like this will attract attention in any colour but is MO a step too far to use every day?

I prefer to remain under the radar wherever possible so this is a bit of a sticking point for me.

What are your experiences? Has anyone had both MO and a more subtle colour and if so, how do they compare?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use mine every day. It's not subtle but why should I pick any color other than what I want just due to how others might react?

·
Registered
914 Posts
nah, go for it...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have not owned both. I got it in black for some of the reasons above. I'm not sure the "stealth" part has entirely panned out. I think, during the day, it sticks out and people notice it no differently than if it were orange. But that is when they get a straight on look. At a gas station, forget it. Makes no difference; especially if you have to open the door.

There seem to be 2 times when the color may help keep the car a touch more stealthy than with a brighter color.

(1) When people are not looking at it straight on, from the corner of their periphery, it just blends in as one of the masses of cars, particularly at high ways speeds. At low speed, the engine is what gives you away as you putter in traffic, and it gets people to turn their heads.

(2) Also, in twilight, I suspect it's a touch easier to slip by. At night, everything is stealthy, so somewhat moot.

Which is to say, if you like MO, get it. I'm not sure you're buying that much more "stealth" by going with a more muted color in practice. Everywhere I go, my black 12C seems to create an ad hoc car show. You get used to it. It's a nice thing.

Curious as to others experiences.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
VO,you do get noticed,which is a double edged sword.Not great for getting noticed by the people you don't want.but great for getting noticed in a positive way when your pushing it !!!
Stealth is stealth and ive been there when wanted to be seen :eek:
Go with what makes you happy !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pretend you are the only person on the planet. Which color would you own? This car is for YOU and for YOUR enjoyment. It's important that you fully enjoy the expirience. If you like it and it makes you feel good, get the orange. If others that see you don't like it, perhaps they will buy a different color when it's their turn to buy the car they've always wanted.

My expirience is that the McLaren attracts an incredible amount of positive attention, regardless of the color. Lots of thumbs up, big smiles, and genuine "nice car" comments. It's a very different expirience than driving a Rolls Royce or Lamborghini. People assume things about you when driving those cars. Nobody assumes anything about you in a McLaren, other than you're an obvious car enthusiast. Very cool thing about these cars actually.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Don't care what other people might think... As if other people really care what you think of their business. Life's too short and enjoy it while you can. I know it's difficult to take that step but when you do you won't regret it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dog, I have a McOrange coupe. That was my color and really didn't consider any others. I find that color really doesn't change the attention this wonderful car gets. I am fortunate enough to own a couple of cars, in dark colors as well and they get the looks no matter the color.

One difference though. Little kids really like the McOrange. I was stuck at a cross walk and a family with a 2-3 year old kid was crossing. The boy had his mom's hand and the entire time he was craning his little neck to keep the car in his field of view. He didn't know why, but he liked it. Made my day. The reactions I get over the car seem to be more visceral. Much more than my Fezza. One thing that does seem to be different with the Mac is that I get many more moms taking pics of the car because they want to show it to their kids. I haven't gotten that with any other marque to this degree. And with that face in McOrange not too many people hate you straight away as "another asshole in a ferrari."

So get what you want. It's your car, for your soul. People that get it will be happy and those that don't wouldn't understand anyway.

·
Registered
207 Posts
12c looks great in any color! Get what you like. If its loud, get it loud. I was in the same position, but went with black cuz I do like black. Orange was great. But may wear on me so I knew i wouldnt get sick of black.
good luck.
lc

·
Registered
232 Posts
My car is grey--still gets a ton of attention--all positive by the way. Get whatever color you want most...

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I was dead set on a dark color as well... Then I saw Volcano Orange. Now I'm just confused! As has been said above, get what makes you happy!

-nh4.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Funny story. This morning I went out to breakfast with my wife and there was a Volcano Orange Spyder in the parking lot. Now, I have the best wife in the world but she is certainly not a car person and thinks I should be driving around in a Prius! Anyways, she had never seen one before so I said "hey honey, look over there...that’s a Mclaren, it's the car I want to get but it coupe form". She then replied "Are you out of your mind. That looks like the freaking Batmobile. Everyone is going to think your having a mid life crisis!" LOL! Then, I said..'Don't worry honey, I'm looking for a silver one!"

·
Registered
71 Posts
My black car attracts plenty of attention in Chicago. People video you as you pass (or they pass) in traffic. Park outside of a restaurant, and lots of folks take photos. Lots of "thumbs up" in traffic. I don't think the car in any color is subtle. AS

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I don't think it matters what color you get but if it help justify the purchase - then get whatever it takes to have one in your garage.

I had the same concerns - but the Fire Black one came for sale at the right price and I suddenly didn't care what anyone else thought.

When you see the one you have to have my guess is it won't matter other than if you don't buy it someone else will.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Funny story. This morning I went out to breakfast with my wife and there was a Volcano Orange Spyder in the parking lot. Now, I have the best wife in the world but she is certainly not a car person and thinks I should be driving around in a Prius! Anyways, she had never seen one before so I said "hey honey, look over there...that’s a Mclaren, it's the car I want to get but it coupe form". She then replied "Are you out of your mind. That looks like the freaking Batmobile. Everyone is going to think your having a mid life crisis!" LOL! Then, I said..'Don't worry honey, I'm looking for a silver one!"
My gf unwillingly came with me to look at the VO one. She's also not a car person. On the way to the dealer I was talking about wanting a darker color and all this (which I'm sure she was very interested in). Anyway, we get to the dealer and there's the VO 12c sitting under the lights. She walked around the car and looked way more interested in it than any other time I've dragged her to a car related anything. Before I could say anything, she just nodded and said, "This thing's sexy."

If I had been in any position to do a deal on that car on that day, I wouldn't even have needed a salesman!

-nh4.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you want to remain under the radar, GET A TOYOTA! Otherwise, as stated multiple time above, get the one you like. It's a Mclaren... of course it's going to attract attention!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Get the color you like best. It doesn't matter what color it is, the car is going to get a lot of attention. The only reason MO will get more attention is that people will see something bright out of the corner of their eye that maybe they'd have missed with grey or black.

In direct sight, the car is an attention magnet regardless.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Screw other people....Get what you like(unless you are a drug dealer or....:p)

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a lot more response than I hoped for yesterday as I typed the question out - thanks all!

These are my selected favourite responses - no offence if yours isn't here :)

Don't care what other people might think... As if other people really care what you think of their business. Life's too short and enjoy it while you can. I know it's difficult to take that step but when you do you won't regret it.
If you want to remain under the radar, GET A TOYOTA! Otherwise, as stated multiple time above, get the one you like. It's a Mclaren... of course it's going to attract attention!
Get the color you like best. It doesn't matter what color it is, the car is going to get a lot of attention. The only reason MO will get more attention is that people will see something bright out of the corner of their eye that maybe they'd have missed with grey or black. In direct sight, the car is an attention magnet regardless.
Some background.... this will be my first sport-/supercar so it's a bit of a watershed decision for me. Fire Black was actually the first choice but on seeing McLaren Orange in the flesh, it trumped Fire Black out. It's a very happy colour and actually not as "in your face" as Ferrari red or the various greens and oranges on a Lamborghini, nor even the green on the GT3 RS etc. (in my opinion).

The last few weeks I've been really thinking about the colour, and I think one drizzly morning my mind was half made up when I did not see a single car that was not black, silver, grey or white on the road or parked anywhere (my previous cars have been dark blue, black and silver).

And to make it worse, I have an almost perfectly specced MO car available to me, so Champ puts it nicely....

When you see the one you have to have my guess is it won't matter other than if you don't buy it someone else will.
Decisions, decisions.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts