McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at VIR last weekend with my 570 GT and I experienced something I had not before. I put the track wheels and tires PScup2 tires on BBS rims, with TPMS that has been paired with the car. I did one session and it was fine but on the first lap of the second session the car went into limp mode. It said Engine Fault Call McLaren Service Center. I called McLaren Charlotte and we tried to figure out what it was, I do not have code reader that likes the McLaren OBDII port (what do people use that works). I ended up calling Roadside Assistance and they came and got the car. Now for the weird part. I swapped wheels BACK to stock drove the car to my hotel room at the track and back and the code went away!
SO what the hell happened? I must say that McLaren Charlotte and Tyler their service manager are excellent and very helpful. I have raced, done HPDE's and raced cars for 30 years everything from formula cars to BMW and Ferrari race cars and this is a first. Should I put McLaren TPMS sensors in the wheels not aftermarket? Do I need to drive the car for a while before tracking it with the track wheels on the car. I did not switch the tire selector in one of the sub menus from P-Zero to P-Zero Corsa. I ran the car in Dynamic ESC and not ESC full off, and I did get a "Dynamic ESC not available see owners manual" message. I have tracked the car for six days but always on the street tires this was the first outing on stickier tires and I was looking forward to really leaning on the car more.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
421 Posts
TPMS issues will not cause a hard Engine Service Fault. I've run my 570 w/o any TPMS and it does not go limp...just get a message about TPMS failure.

I suspect you had/have an intermittent issue. Many times, these will have to occur several times before you get a hard fault/limp. I always keep an OBDII dongle (Kiwi III) and scan app on my phone (DashCmd). A "Clear All Codes" command will reset even a hard Engine Service Fault, though it may come back quickly. But you can also watch the progression of a code from Pending to hard. Many codes will then go away if you do a couple drive cycles w/o any code appearing.

Are you running the same OD tires as OE? If not, that might be the issue. There is only a 6% tolerance for OD. That would fit your symptoms perfectly. Pending code for first session, Hard fault on second. Swap out tires, drive two cycles with no problem sensed, so code clears.

What tire sizes are the Cup2's?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TPMS issues will not cause a hard Engine Service Fault. I've run my 570 w/o any TPMS and it does not go limp...just get a message about TPMS failure.

I suspect you had/have an intermittent issue. Many times, these will have to occur several times before you get a hard fault/limp. I always keep an OBDII dongle (Kiwi III) and scan app on my phone (DashCmd). A "Clear All Codes" command will reset even a hard Engine Service Fault, though it may come back quickly. But you can also watch the progression of a code from Pending to hard. Many codes will then go away if you do a couple drive cycles w/o any code appearing.

Are you running the same OD tires as OE? If not, that might be the issue. There is only a 6% tolerance for OD. That would fit your symptoms perfectly. Pending code for first session, Hard fault on second. Swap out tires, drive two cycles with no problem sensed, so code clears.

What tire sizes are the Cup2's?
235/35/19 front 285/35/20 rear...I believe they are good. The rear is identical the front tires are 25.5 vs 25.2 diameter

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had the exact same issue and I was on aftermarket TPMS sensors. Happened to me at Sonoma. Running fine and then get on the track and it went into limp mode. The even stranger part was that it ran fine in the paddock and out on the street. As soon as I was back on track, limp mode. I was actually thinking that perhaps there was a strange GPS conspiracy throwing limp mode once I was on track but I cannot believe that was actually the case because: I put the factory TPMS on and all was fine. I then ran without TPMS for the next track event; all was again fine. I think there must be something about the factory TPMS that the aftermarket companies are not aware of and are not replicating properly. This is too bad as the price difference is pronounced!

Kurt

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I have had the exact same issue and I was on aftermarket TPMS sensors. Happened to me at Sonoma. Running fine and then get on the track and it went into limp mode. The even stranger part was that it ran fine in the paddock and out on the street. As soon as I was back on track, limp mode. I was actually thinking that perhaps there was a strange GPS conspiracy throwing limp mode once I was on track but I cannot believe that was actually the case because: I put the factory TPMS on and all was fine. I then ran without TPMS for the next track event; all was again fine. I think there must be something about the factory TPMS that the aftermarket companies are not aware of and are not replicating properly. This is too bad as the price difference is pronounced!

Kurt
Wondering about interference — do you run a track camera/timing system while on track? Sometimes electrical interference can affect TPMS sensor readings.

·
Registered
124 Posts
eMcL,

Nope, nothing. The company I purchased the TPMS from claimed they are exactly the same as factory but from what I have experienced and now Gtracer37, I doubt it is coincidence. From all the scenarios I ran, I narrowed it down to those aftermarket TPMS. There must be something special or unique about the McLaren ones that they overlooked.

Kurt

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
eMcL,

Nope, nothing. The company I purchased the TPMS from claimed they are exactly the same as factory but from what I have experienced and now Gtracer37, I doubt it is coincidence. From all the scenarios I ran, I narrowed it down to those aftermarket TPMS. There must be something special or unique about the McLaren ones that they overlooked.

Kurt
Interesting. The OEM sensors are I believe manufactured by HUF.
Are your after market sensors made by HUF?

These should fit a 570GT
https://www.oewheelsllc.com/make/McLaren/model/570GT/year/2017

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting. The OEM sensors are I believe manufactured by HUF.
Are your after market sensors made by HUF?

These should fit a 570GT
https://www.oewheelsllc.com/make/McLaren/model/570GT/year/2017
I used these guys: https://www.shoptpms.com/McLaren_TPMS_s/6256.htm

What is interesting is that I do not see any TPMS specific to McLaren on their website now. I wonder if they realized they had the wrong ones or something else. I can say they were very easy to deal with and gave me a full refund. I have sent them an email today asking if they ever figured out what the issue was.

I may order a set of the ones you recommend and see how they work.

Thanks.

Kurt

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
My sources at Tire Rack tell me that there are different sensors specified for 2016 vs 2017+ 570. Might even be a mid-year split on the 2016. The early car part # is same as 12C/650S. They sell the HUF aftermarket replacements and have two different part #'s for those year applications.
Yes there are 2 TPMS types :- and tire rack also stocks them

For 12C, 650S, P1
https://www.oewheelsllc.com/Huf-UVS2000-TPMS-sensors-for-McLaren

For 570GT, 570S, 720
https://www.oewheelsllc.com/TT-0041-TPMS-sensors-for-McLaren

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts