McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am very curious as to what the owners of exotic cars within the 31 US states and the 4 Canadian provinces do to affix the mandatory front license plate?

Do you take the risk of a ticket and drive without a front plate?
Do you have a plate mounted on the front having been drilled into the body?
Do you leave the front plate on the dash or in the passenger seat?
Do you have an under mount stick on plate mount? or
Have you seen my EezePlate

Just curious..... would love to hear from you!

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
482 Posts
Take a look at the retractable plate mount made by tegoautoproducts(dot/com)
I have no financial interest in this company.

·
Vendor
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take a look at the retractable plate mount made by tegoautoproducts(dot/com)
I have no financial interest in this company.
Hi Bob, thanks for this link .... although I'll tell you up front, I'm just the pretty face behind One Step Beyond, so I sent it to my husband to have a look. Here are his thoughts:
Problems:
Electric issue:
  • Needs to be wired into the car. Car manufacturers will not allow dealers to install electrical devices into cars. -- Water will get into the electrics and damage it in short order
Mechanical issues:
  • the unit requires drilling holes in the undertray of the car. Car manufacturers will not allow dealers to modify the chassis of the car
  • The unit is quite thick, resulting in reduced ground clearance at the front of the car. This will result in frequent ground strikes and damage to the powered plate unit and the underside of the car.
  • The unit rotates the license plate under the car and out of sight, but in doing so it further reduces ground clearance. This setup would not be appropriate for people who track their car or participate in performance driving
  • The power unit is very big and will interfere with active aero in such cars as the Aventador SVJ and other performance variants.
He is a true car geek, as I am sure alot of people here are; His design of the EezePlate uses existing chassis bolts designed individually for each model and the EezePlate is only 3/8" of an inch thick, so it does not affect ground clearance; Constructed of powder coated aluminum and machined Delrin for maximum durability and aesthetics

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
482 Posts
Colleen, I was replying without looking; didn't notice you were a vendor and had no intention of hijacking your post. Apologies.

·
Vendor
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colleen, I was replying without looking; didn't notice you were a vendor and had no intention of hijacking your post. Apologies.
No worries Bob, I was actually very interested to see other options that are out there. I understand there was another brand of folding license plate that didn't hold up; we are lucky here in Toronto to have had Pfaff McLaren & Grand Touring (Lambo dealer) both put only our front plates on their cars. We thought they are so happy with our product that we would branch out to North America. We did have one gentleman in the UK buy one and modified the front plate holder to fit their longer plate. All is good :) thanks!

·
Vendor
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a tow hook mount from McLaren Boston:

However, I also have a PPF on the front, so I did wonder about just using thick double-sided tape to mount it.
yes, with the PPF I'd be worried about taking it off, they are hard to remove without scratching the bumper.
... but you have your front plate on there! And unless photo shoots or tracking, no real reason to take it off.
Thanks for sharing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts