McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I have a 720S VIN 1350 since March. It has been at the dealer for many things, amongst other for cracking gorilla glas and frozen center display because of parking sensors failure. Now I received the car back after 3 weeks in the workshop, drove 100 km and the glas starts to krack again. Also there ist still a problem with the parking sensors. Does anyone of you have similar problems?

Regards,

Konrad

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,165 Posts
Wow that sounds terrible. Could you post pictures of the cracking glass. I wonder is it from stress/pressure at the edges (maybe from bad figment) or micro fractures from temp/expansions-contraction, or something else.

The frozen center display is bizarre. I haven not heard of this really since the iris 1 days...

·
Registered
818 Posts
At some point this winter the glass supplier was changed to Isoclima and I have not heard about these new panels cracking... did the dealer install these new Isoclima panels, or replace with the original ones which I think were sourced from Corning ? The manufacturer is etched with some identifying numbers on the panels themselves. The seals were also revised, I believe last fall.

Mine #1495 was built with standard roof (because of dealer error in spec) but the new Isoclima panels were retrofit during PDI. I had PPF applied to them too, per recommendation of @McLarenScottsdale; any stray rock that might impact the glass can cause a chip that can be a lead point for a stress crack. So far so good.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,165 Posts
Sorry to see this. It looks like a stress fracture which might be a fitment issue. Kovalser has some great information, the first thing to check is if ou have the last version of glass and seal. If not, I would demand they replace it with the current version that hopefully is a permanent fix. If it is the latest version, I guess when we know, we can try to debug from there, but it seems like fitment is off causing some stress.

Good luck and please keep us updated, I’m sure this is helpful to others. Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just got back from a visit to McLaren Singapore (South East Asia regional HQ).

i asked about this glass cracking issue on the 720S.

they said that there was definitely a problem with the first batch-- the problem was the glass roof panels were slightly too large and the pressure along the edge(s) would cause the stress cracks.

they replaced a bunch of the early cars with version 2 of the glass, which was slightly smaller.

however some of these cars have since come back, still with stress cracks.

so now Mclaren have released version 3 of the glass, this time even smaller. They showed me a car that had just received this new glass, and while we're just talking a couple cm, the gap between the glass and the cutout in the roof is very noticeable. and i must say, ugly! i wish i had taken a photo.

right now it's too early to tell if version 3 cures the problem, and they've told customers to hold off making the change until there's more information.

some guys are just changing over to non-glass roofs.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,165 Posts

they said that there was definitely a problem with the first batch-- the problem was the glass roof panels were slightly too large and the pressure along the edge(s) would cause the stress cracks.

they replaced a bunch of the early cars with version 2 of the glass, which was slightly smaller.

so now Mclaren have released version 3 of the glass, this time even smaller. They showed me a car that had just received this new glass, and while we're just talking a couple cm, the gap between the glass and the cutout in the roof is very noticeable. and i must say, ugly! i wish i had taken a photo.

right now it's too early to tell if version 3 cures the problem, and they've told customers to hold off making the change until there's more information.

Wow that is really a shame. McLaren should just go to corvette. They have huge panoramic glass panels (targa style) which work great, no issues for probably over a decade now (before then they went through similar teething pains). It’s weird that such small glass is causing so much trouble, and yet other manufacturers have giant panoramic glass without issue.

Actually, the 570gt glass roof seems to avoid these issues as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Check the seals, There was an issue with the seals around the door hinge.
There is also an update that might fix your sensor issues. Most the later build cars don't need the update. As it is done at the factory.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow that is really a shame. McLaren should just go to corvette. They have huge panoramic glass panels (targa style) which work great, no issues for probably over a decade now (before then they went through similar teething pains). It’s weird that such small glass is causing so much trouble, and yet other manufacturers have giant panoramic glass without issue.

Actually, the 570gt glass roof seems to avoid these issues as well.
I say t-tops and Trans Am's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you Hesperus for the information. I will check with the worksop manager if they already changed to version 2.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As for the parking sensor issue, ask your dealer for the Version 4.8 software, just released. It won't fix the actual error message, but it moves the error from the main infotainment screen and up in to the dash so you can continue to use the main screen even when the error appears, you can also dismiss the error by pulling the stork. I had all of my sensors replaced and the error still appears.

The 4.8 software also updates a whole bunch of other stuff and has fixed a few other gremlins that I had (DAB radio dropouts etc). My car was originally on 4.3, they then had to update to 4.7 as it was a major update and then up to 4.8. I was hoping the software would bring the web browser and wifi from the manual etc, but alas no.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
As for the parking sensor issue, ask your dealer for the Version 4.8 software, just released. It won't fix the actual error message, but it moves the error from the main infotainment screen and up in to the dash so you can continue to use the main screen even when the error appears, you can also dismiss the error by pulling the stork. I had all of my sensors replaced and the error still appears.

The 4.8 software also updates a whole bunch of other stuff and has fixed a few other gremlins that I had (DAB radio dropouts etc). My car was originally on 4.3, they then had to update to 4.7 as it was a major update and then up to 4.8. I was hoping the software would bring the web browser and wifi from the manual etc, but alas no.

1- i have the parking sensor fault and it mostly happens at a traffic light!!!

2- my radio sound cuts off at times or is very low. have to turn car off and the. restart and it works again.

how long did software 4.8 take to do?

Reactions: petrobalkan

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had both sides crack. Dealer said the factory installation was too tight. No issues with the replacement glass so far. 2k miles.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've had the parking sensor error too, it's a pain in the A at traffic lights sometimes

it must be related to the signals of a traffic light. only time that happens. no fix yet with any software updates

Reactions: Christine Fritsch

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had both sides crack. Dealer said the factory installation was too tight. No issues with the replacement glass so far. 2k miles.

my car was delivered in january so hopefully i have the good batch

1 - 20 of 41 Posts